New gun time - here we go!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Decided it is time to buy my first O/U with multi choke. My current gun is a MK60 fixed 1/4 and 3/4. I have been shooting some skeet lately and decided I want to get another gun that can shoot all disciplines.

I am considering a Browning 525/725 or a Miroku MK38/MK70.

Are there any other guns I should consider? I am not looking for a glitzy gun, or even new. Just a gun that fits a tall lanky old git and provides shooting enjoyment.

Thanks

If you shoot the MK 60 well , send it to Teague Precision Chokes , and get it converted to their thin wall multichoke , it will cost you £600 -£700 depending on the number of chokes .   If you need it , another £250 - £300 would get it  properly fitted to you with a new pad and spacers if you need it to cover the “ lanky” bit !    That would be my route rather than buy a MK70 or 525 which wouldn’t get you much more than you’ve already got except  the the factory  Multi Choke barrels 

The MK38 multichoke sporter is IMHO quite a numb beast , not as nice as an MK 38 trap. I think you would notice a difference between the Mk60 and the 38 

The 725 is a different action so if you wanted to change and get something different perhaps it’s the one to go for . 

Good suggestion from Martyn, are there any other multi choke converters, Teague are horrendously expensive and I haven’t heard anything good about them

I have been thinking about Teague or just opening up the top barrel but it seems sacrilege to me to ‘mess’ with the gun.  It is a very pretty gun and I am told it is rare as it is the Grand Prix model.

Also the thought of thin wall chokes for no good reason makes me nervous.   Are they robust enough, will the threads wear, what about longevity, etc.  I am probably being silly but the thought keeps popping up..

The above is why I was thinking a new gun.

Martyn -  interesting comments on the ‘feel’ of the Browning and MK guns. Some time ago I did shoot a MK38 and a MK70 and they did indeed feel very different. I’ll have to try and get hold of a 725 and shoot it.

I was also wondering about alternative makes.  The various reviews make many of them sound really good but when you don’t have access or time to try many different ones it is a tricky conundrum.

IPS keeps mentioning the Lincoln – not seen one or shot one. He seems to like it.

Beretta and I have not had a good relationship. Think I might be the wrong shape for them. Tried 2 or 3 and even had a semi for a while. Barn doors were quite safe and undamaged!

I’ll try and get to Potters and see what they have.  Having just moved into East Sussex and about to lose my certificate while it is changed over from Kent I might have to wait but being a bloke with a short patience curve I am keen to find something fairly soon.

How much money are you looking to spend?  I really liked the Blaser F16 when I babysat it for a friend, if I shot enough clays to justify changing my Beretta I would buy that.

I don't mind if it is new or 2nd hand as long as it is in good condition and works for me.  Ideally I want to spend under 2k, preferable under 1.5k as the gun to me is more of a tool, and I am always nervous about getting the grade 5 wood on the MK60 wet, a grade 1 something is fine by me.

Good suggestion from Martyn, are there any other multi choke converters, Teague are horrendously expensive and I haven’t heard anything good about them
I have experience of Teagues work on both a MK38 & MX2000S, faultless & VFM know of numerous people who have had work carried out on various guns, not aware of “problems” and Clay shooters are not shy in complaining on the whole

I have experience of Teagues work on both a MK38 & MX2000S, faultless & VFM know of numerous people who have had work carried out on various guns, not aware of “problems” and Clay shooters are not shy in complaining on the whole
Agreed. I had an MK60 years ago which I had "Teagued" and it was absolutely fine with thinwall chokes. Teague has always been the automatic first choice for barrel work and I don't think I've ever heard anyone having a bad experience other than someone last year with a 28 guage. IDK the full story but from what I did learn it wasn't simply Teague Chokes at fault.

If you are going to Potters, then ask about getting the 'thin wall' Briley chokes as an alternative to Teague chokes. I would stay with your current gun and have it multi choked.

PS.

After recent dealings with Potters, I can not rate them highly enough, a really good Company to do business with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know three people who said it’s expensive and slow and communication is poor..

Do guns have to be reproofed if changed to multi?

I know three people who said it’s expensive and slow and communication is poor..

Do guns have to be reproofed if changed to multi?
My work was done long before the takeover by W-R and it didn't seem expensive to me. Communication wasn't needed because (a) the gun went in, (b) the work was done on time and (c) I collected it. Oh, and reproofing wasn't required.

hmm - another option for consideration then

See this :  https://www.teaguechokes.com/teague-multi-chokes

TEAGUE MULTI CHOKES

From

£156.00inc vat (including reproof excluding chokes & accessories) 

The Invisible Multi Choke

TEAGUE were the first company to introduce a thin walled choke system that easily adapts any fixed choke side by side or over and under shotgun barrel to a multi-choke system gun. We can even fit multi chokes to Damascus barreled guns.  

The balance and look of the gun is unchanged

TEAGUE thin walled shotgun chokes add a minimal amount of weight to the muzzle of the gun and this can be easily compensated for if required. Externally, when a gun is fitted with TEAGUE thin walled chokes, the look and lines remain unchanged.

Every choke is matched to the gun's bore size

To ensure each choke restriction provides the optimum match for the corresponding bore size, TEAGUE thin walled chokes are individually made and fitted by hand for each and every gun. This method alone results in the most perfect pattern possible.

Every gun is proof tested and hand finished

Every gun fitted with the TEAGUE thin wall choke system is proof tested to comply with regulations and provide complete peace of mind. Each gun is individually hand finished, the bores are lapped, the muzzles are polished and the individual choke tubes are laser marked to match the serial number of the gun.

​

If you are going to Potters, then ask about getting the 'thin wall' Briley chokes as an alternative to Teague chokes. I would stay with your current gun and have it multi choked.

PS.

After recent dealings with Potters, I can not rate them highly enough, a really good Company to do business with.
Just had my MK38 fixed done with Potters, first class service and nowhere near as expensive as Teague.  Patterns superbly and would highly recommend especially if your guns fits you, you shoot it well etc, why change guns when you can just have it changed to a multi. Didn’t take too long either, speak to Jake in Potters, he dealt with mine and had no problems whatsoever.

I had a MK 38 Trap converted by Teague Precision in December . Faultless service . Less than 2 weeks  . I dropped the gun off  ( just because I’m one of those annoying early retired people who fill their days with selfish pursuits) and had a tour of the workshop . It was absolutely impressive and immaculately clean .  I think my bill with 7 chokes  , case , choke key ,and reproof was  £630 ish . ( I’d check but I’m in Estepona sitting with my feet up having a beer  😂) Bear in mind that during the ten or eleven days that the gun was away it went from the workshop to Birmingham for proofing and came back. Josh their customer service guy was first rate and rang me to tell me the job was finished . I’d be interested to hear how much , like for like , the Briley conversion is ? 

The MK 38 trap barrels stilll look totally factory , and to put any fears to bed there is no way that being “ thin wall “ is a detriment , it’s a good thing,  in fact my K80 factory chokes look like a iron water pipe fittings in comparison .

Your MK 60 would not,  IMHO be spoiled by Teague-ing , merely made more versatile . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure about Briley.  I have bought aftermarket Briley chokes for a Remington and a Benelli and for some reason I was never convinced they patterned very well.  This is probably just me as Briley has an excellent reputation.  

Teague is a consideration and they also have an excellent reputation.  And if I recall Teague are fitted to some Miroku's from new, so that makes them more logical from a reto fit perspective to me.

I am still pondering, really not sure which way to go. 

I am also concerned about my gun being hit by flying clay debris as it was today from a killed incomer. Thankfully no damage. If I do buy another gun it would probably be a 'plain Jane' so I would not be so concerned about knocks although I would still try to keep it pristine.

Latest posts

Back