Starter gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone would like to offer their opinion on a good starter sporting shotgun? I've recently taken up Clay Shooting and I'm looking to spend under £1K on my first gun. I'm trying to work out if I should buy a second hand Browning and Beretta or go for one of the Turkish guns (Yildiz Sporter, ATA SP Black, Webley & Scott 951)? I realise this has been covered a number of time before, however, I thought I'd ask anyway to see if opinions have changed towards the Turkish guns?

Buy a second hand Browning,Miroku or Beretta,you will get a much better quality gun and a better resale value also some of the older Winchesters are worth a look.

Buy a second hand Browning,Miroku or Beretta,you will get a much better quality gun and a better resale value also some of the older Winchesters are worth a look.
You said ( Beretta ) why would you wish that on a new shooter, your giving him bad advise that could affect him for the rest of his life  :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If you decide on new then look at the lincoln range some models are in your budget 👍

Thanks for the advice. I've shot the Browning 525 and a Miroku MK38. The MK38 was a trap gun with 32" barrels. While the recoil was almost non-existent, I felt it was very heavy. The Browning was a nice gun. Is it possible to get a decent one for less than £1K? I've not tried a Beretta yet.

Miroku 3800 is a nicer handling gun than the MK38, just be careful that it has not been 'got at' and altered beyond all recognition. The Browning 3/4/525's., in my opinion, handle nicer than the MK38 too. Although I personally can not live with the Beretta range (apart from some game models and most of their auto's), a lot of people have them and shoot them very well, so there must be something about them !  I personally would stick with one of the 'big 3', purely because you are highly likely to want to change it within the next 3 years, and you will lose the least amount of money. (UNLESS you buy a NEW gun to begin with)  It ALWAYS pays to 'buy where you can try', you would not buy a car without test driving it first. 

Thanks all, it's much appreciated. I'm going to head over to Oxford Gun Company in a couple of weeks and I'll see if they'll give me a go on a few before I buy.

If you like the Browning 525 , also have a look at  the Miroku MK70 .  If you can find a gun shop attached to a clay ground you could try all the usual  “used “ suspects and see what fits you and suits you .  Don’t buy one of the Turkish guns without shooting it , if it suits you fantastic,  you’ll shoot well , if it doesn’t  suit,  you will not .

One caveat about buying “ used guns “  there are brilliant examples of 20 year old guns out there, and there are some right pieces of junk that are many years newer .  You need a dealer with a sound reputation .   Edit just seen your last post looks like you have all the above figured out  :D

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone would like to offer their opinion on a good starter sporting shotgun? I've recently taken up Clay Shooting and I'm looking to spend under £1K on my first gun. I'm trying to work out if I should buy a second hand Browning and Beretta or go for one of the Turkish guns (Yildiz Sporter, ATA SP Black, Webley & Scott 951)? I realise this has been covered a number of time before, however, I thought I'd ask anyway to see if opinions have changed towards the Turkish guns?
Try to find somewhere where you can try as many as possible and see what suits you best, a good gunsmith or fitter will be valuable, try to use some of your budget to have the gun fit to you.

Miroku 3800 is a nicer handling gun than the MK38, just be careful that it has not been 'got at' and altered beyond all recognition. The Browning 3/4/525's., in my opinion, handle nicer than the MK38 too. Although I personally can not live with the Beretta range (apart from some game models and most of their auto's), a lot of people have them and shoot them very well, so there must be something about them !  I personally would stick with one of the 'big 3', purely because you are highly likely to want to change it within the next 3 years, and you will lose the least amount of money. (UNLESS you buy a NEW gun to begin with)  It ALWAYS pays to 'buy where you can try', you would not buy a car without test driving it first. 
I know someone that has a 3800, 30 inch sporterized grade 3 trap for sale very cheap  :angel:  its under a grand and had the Nigel treatment !

I'm a long distance removed from your market so I know nothing of the current pricing structures.  I'm quite biased on starter sorts of guns.  I went thru a number of brands before I picked up my first Beretta 682.  From that moment on I've been an Italian gun person.  I can't imagine a better gun than a well cared for 682 for a starter.  They were available in a wide variety of configurations - something to suit every game and/or person.  A reputable dealer or a knowledgeable person sympathetic to your cause is invaluable.

I've never felt the love for any of the Browning or Miroku guns and it really puzzles me as to why people do.  The guns simply do not work for me.  Clearly there are those with different experiences in that regard.

I'm a long distance removed from your market so I know nothing of the current pricing structures.  I'm quite biased on starter sorts of guns.  I went thru a number of brands before I picked up my first Beretta 682.  From that moment on I've been an Italian gun person.  I can't imagine a better gun than a well cared for 682 for a starter.  They were available in a wide variety of configurations - something to suit every game and/or person.  A reputable dealer or a knowledgeable person sympathetic to your cause is invaluable.

I've never felt the love for any of the Browning or Miroku guns and it really puzzles me as to why people do.  The guns simply do not work for me.  Clearly there are those with different experiences in that regard.
It puzzles me that your a Yank that likes Italian and has 3 lions on his chest ! your opinion cannot be considered as from  a normal person  :lol:

It puzzles me that your a Yank that likes Italian and has 3 lions on his chest ! your opinion cannot be considered as from  a normal person  :lol:
I can trace my lineage directly to John Hill deHull (born 1240 Cambridgeshire - died ? Shropshire) and sort of feel that the three lions are OK for me.  They're off the FA logo and I have the FA banner hanging in my kitchen as well.   :paladin:

As for some aspect of cosmopolitan I see no problem with that.  Perhaps you should get out more.    :poke:

and BTW it would be "you're a Yank", not "your a Yank".  English grammar, dochano

Back