Browning Ultra XT high rib?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeShot

I was offered a used (like new) one. I am getting along with my MK70 just fine tho shooting a true competition gun might do me better?

I have shot an old Ultra Trap with fixed chokes for 2 years before the MK70 and regret selling it since...maybe it is time to fix this?

Shoulders, points and balances fine, trigger is way better than on MK70. What bothers me - It sports high (10mm) rib that I haven't shot ever + it is heavy (9 lbs) - gun will be used for trap and sporting - what say you - any experience and oppinion appreciated.

Rib height is inconsequential, but the weight is not.  That is a heavy gun, or would be for me at any rate.  Shoot  100 targets with and see how it feels then.   Impulse buys are always the most regrettable - you needn't ask how I know that.  If the current owner will not let you shoot the 100 you should ask yourself why.  And it would be interesting to know why a like new gun is for sale.

Thanks Wonko. I am used to shoot heavy guns. I am shooting 11lb rifle offhand on combined competitions and do 100+ gun mounts almost every day and I am quite certain I will manage. I know the seller and he just quit shooting nothing else there.  

Weight might help me achieve better accuracy and smoothness, but I guess that will come at the cost? Same goes for other atributes like high rib etc. Anyway will have to figure it out myself I guess. At the end 9lb and 10mm isn't that far over "regulars"...

Will report regardless the outcome and stay open for anything that pops up here. 

And it would be interesting to know why a like new gun is for sale.
Could be someone like me Charlie. I bought a brand new Browning XTR ULTRA and use it for about 3000 shells then I bought a Perazzi... I have used the Browning once since I bought the Perazzi ... because I was having the stock altered on the Perazzi ! Now that Browning is an item that is stored under the sofa in the lounge, which is a shame its a good gun ... anybody interested ?? :lol:

It is geting even better - since we spoke came another contender in the mix - B725 ProTrap - weight right between the MK70 and XT with regular rib, leaner body and fine fit at first glance...choices, choices...

Best way is to just buy them all and then sort it.  It'll be -  - - - - - -  no problem.  Trust me.

Could be someone like me Charlie. I bought a brand new Browning XTR ULTRA and use it for about 3000 shells then I bought a Perazzi... I have used the Browning once since I bought the Perazzi ... because I was having the stock altered on the Perazzi ! Now that Browning is an item that is stored under the sofa in the lounge, which is a shame its a good gun ... anybody interested ?? :lol:
And see now, John  how sorry you are you just jumped on that Perazzi deal?  You must have gotten some questionable advice on that one.

Yesterday saw a corporate event take place at the Barby Sporting shooting ground near Rugby for a bunch of friends of mine with the coach being a much respected individual who provided a couple of Brownings for the use of, one a 28 bore for the youngsters and the other a 12 bore30" probably a 525 for the adults.   It was suggested that I should shoot the same targets with the same gun as my guests.

So for the 1st time in five years I handled a Browning, it felt unwieldy, wooden and lifeless and of course it broke the targets just fine no complaints at all.   It did remind me of shooting a Perazzi with John Jeffries for the 1st time back in 2012 and experiencing a gun with perfect balance and triggers where you could almost pull the trigger by thinking about it - I'd never have believed for a moment that two guns could be so different to shoot.   

Pulled the plug - got a 30" B725 ProTrap adjustable yesterday - was owned by an OT shooter so first thing was to lower and straighten the comb, weights from the stock were taken out,

1st round of trap went 17/25 (we shoot game trench trap - 5 stand 9m behind the trap, FITASC mount, 35 deg - 65m targets)

Second broad checkered trigger replacet by a slim one and sliped back to rear and scored 24/25.

Feels, shoots great - so far it looks like a good decision going to a true competition gun - will se how it goes once the new gun factor wears off...

Will do some more trap and compak today.

Gun is going along nicely - broad and high comb with adjustment to the left goes a long way...was at the range today to get an approximate picture about the DS chokes.

Measurements are rather odd:

Full = .o38
LF = .o26
IM = .015
M = .009
LM = .007
IC = .002

However - here is how they print - Hull Sovereign, 28g, 7 1/2 (2.3mm) at 40m:

20180429_164622.jpg

20180429_164400.jpg

20180429_163742.jpg

Ha...good guess - in fact I just might...at least at Compak and Fitasc and will pair it with 3/4. Will give them a try on Trap as well. With steel it has already proven very well. With lead I might to choose something tighter like 3/4 and 1/1? Still early days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back