Hi Frame rate / 4K Camera.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin_b

Is it possible, by using a high frame rate camera (GoPro5 maybe?) to see the shot string? 

Practicing OT this morning I missed a couple of what i thought simple straight-aways, and I'd love to know where I'm missing them, ( over the top I guess but id like to prove it?)

There is a lot to using a camera for this, the biggest issue is field of view. Have a look at shotkam on you tube they compare their product to a go pro. Whilst it is dvertising the point is made and shown scientifically. If I had the money I’d own one already!!!!!

A bullet type camera with a frame rate of 60+ (120 would be good) is what i use, mounted underneath on a modified bracket that clips to the bottom barrel. You don't need 4k. You can see the shot cloud, but you get distortion just as the shot is fired.

As above, shotkam is the only one worth looking at. It's field of view is way better along with the inertia sensing recordings. I'm not sure what frame rate you would need to regularly capture shot string though.

We just bought a shotkam in the club. Depending on the background and lighting you can see the shotstring. 

In the settings, you can choose between 1/1 1/4 1/8 1/16 speed. And then if you go to VLC player, you can go frame by frame. On the tablet/phone you can set the playback speed down to 25%. Then it will take forever to see a shot, but every little detail will be revealed. (if you record in 1/16 and playback speed is normal, it will take almost 2 minutes to watch a shot! 

When you adjust the crosshairs before going shooting, be meticulous!

I have experienced that it doesn't record some of the shots, why I can't tell you (have an idea that I haven't closed the gun hard enough to activate the recording, but that can be adjusted in the settings). 

It's a good tool IMO but with limitations. It can't tell if you lift your head, or swing the comb of your face on right handers (presuming you are a right handed shooter). 

I'd suggest team up with the rest of the club and by one. Then the cost isn't that ridiculous. 

Lars 

Before investing in a shotkam or any other recording device it may be wise to note the new CPSA rules with regard to their use.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be pointed out that in line with CPSA General Rules , GUNS  rule 2.30 it is not permitted to use a gun fitted with a device that has magnifying, light emitting, or any device that gives visual enhancement of the target , so be careful before you buy devices like shotkam or the new Easy hit device ( Red Dot), obviously you can use for your own entertainment on none registered shoots . Buyer beware !

Which are what? Search on the CPSA site is abysmal.
Use of Shotkam:
NF presented a concern raised by a member that someone using this device in a Registered competition may use it to challenge a referee’s decision and that this could put the referee in a very difficult position. The rules state that the judgement of the referee is final, but the Board needed to consider the purpose of the use of such a device in competition. After some discussion, it was agreed it would not be permitted to be used in any Registered competition. SO will create wording to that effect and email the Board for approval.

Just word the rules something like  'personal video equipment may not be used to analyse shoots in real time or between shots. Fitting these devices is not prohibited for post shoot personal analysis or training however'

I seen no problem with going home and seeing how badly I screwed up after the fact. ( The first rule was to avoid people fitting devices akin to telescopic sights or the like )

Are they going to ban camera phones? Some of the newer phones can record in high definition slow-mo that will show the shot in the right light and could be magnified to show a chip coming off...... can I challenge a ref with one of those? ( were I stupid enough to try )

Just word the rules something like  'personal video equipment may not be used to analyse shoots in real time or between shots. Fitting these devices is not prohibited for post shoot personal analysis or training however'

I seen no problem with going home and seeing how badly I screwed up after the fact. ( The first rule was to avoid people fitting devices akin to telescopic sights or the like )

Are they going to ban camera phones? Some of the newer phones can record in high definition slow-mo that will show the shot in the right light and could be magnified to show a chip coming off...... can I challenge a ref with one of those? ( were I stupid enough to try )
It's awaiting final wording but the interim proposal makes clear that Shotcam's cannot be used when shooting registered targets, irrespective of their intended use. I expect the rule will be worded so as to prohibit other devices, probably under the banner of 'electronic recording devices'. Don’t get confused by 'a device that has magnifying, light emitting or gives visual enhancement of the target.' This is a different rule introduced several years ago after the lead magnifier was invented and has nothing to do with recording devices.

For practice, no problem. For registered events, don't even attach them to your gun.

Sadly, a few bad apples have spoilt for everyone else.

Use of Shotkam:

NF presented a concern raised by a member that someone using this device in a Registered competition may use it to challenge a referee’s decision and that this could put the referee in a very difficult position. The rules state that the judgement of the referee is final, but the Board needed to consider the purpose of the use of such a device in competition. After some discussion, it was agreed it would not be permitted to be used in any Registered competition. SO will create wording to that effect and email the Board for approval.

:)  So fancy shooting glasses claiming to enhance target definition are actually illegal! That's it folks all those fancy coloured lenses are out! :)

:)  So fancy shooting glasses claiming to enhance target definition are actually illegal! That's it folks all those fancy coloured lenses are out! :)
No, because if you read the rule it specifies items that attach to the gun. It did prohibit the use of hi viz comp sights used to assist those with eye dominance issues for a while until the rule was rewritten.

In any event, the discussion is about Shotkam’s and recording devices and this has nothing to do with that.

No, because if you read the rule it specifies items that attach to the gun. It did prohibit the use of hi viz comp sights used to assist those with eye dominance issues for a while until the rule was rewritten.

In any event, the discussion is about Shotkam’s and recording devices and this has nothing to do with that.
What if you had a HD camera attached to your shooting glasses... such devices are available I think.

So one member had a concern that results in an outright ban for all. Recording your own shooting for replay in your own home should not be banned - get real CPSA.

So one member had a concern that results in an outright ban for all. Recording your own shooting for replay in your own home should not be banned - get real CPSA.
Don't think you are understanding that someone has obviously tried to challenge a referees decision using footage from one,as the referees decision is FINAL this is why the rule is being created.

Not to stop you sitting at home watching footage that tells you where you missed not why.

The problem would be there are some people out there that would argue the toss for ages based on it...would you want to be held up for 10/15 minutes while someone bickers about a target?

Latest posts

Back