Are semi autos okay now?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robden

I stopped shooting about 12 years ago.......now I'm back.

Back then, one hardly ever saw semi autos (frowned upon) but now there seem to be quite a few around.

Are they more acceptable now?

Only if the shooter picks up the ejected cartridges and not leave them to be collected by others........

Only if the shooter picks up the ejected cartridges and not leave them to be collected by others........
How do you do that in the middle of a busy registered, particularly where the shells may have landed beyond the ribboned area ? Asking for a friend. 

How do you do that in the middle of a busy registered, particularly where the shells may have landed beyond the ribboned area ? Asking for a friend. 
Is there no reliable cartridge catcher then? (Apart from Mark Waugh obviously :)

Is there no reliable cartridge catcher then? (Apart from Mark Waugh obviously :)
I'm not aware that there are, the concept seems simple enough but the ones I've seen footage of appear bulky. It wouldn't be a bad idea at all for different manufacturers to devise sensible devices and offer them as an option but until then this talk of pick everything up after yoos is half baked at best. 

I'm not aware that there are, the concept seems simple enough but the ones I've seen footage of appear bulky. It wouldn't be a bad idea at all for different manufacturers to devise sensible devices and offer them as an option but until then this talk of pick everything up after yoos is half baked at best. 
This looks to be quite good, but didn't seem to catch on.  (LINKY)

As you can tell people still moan about autos, throwing the empties all over the place, also the occational jam can be embarrassing on a busy shoot. Plus the fact you are confining yourself to only one choke! Can't really see the advantage of an auto except in the field.

As you can tell people still moan about autos, throwing the empties all over the place, also the occational jam can be embarrassing on a busy shoot. Plus the fact you are confining yourself to only one choke! Can't really see the advantage of an auto except in the field.
Some have shoulder or neck injuries which necessitate the use of an auto, with the reduced recoil it offers. Others, myself included, just like to upset people by using one whenever possible.   I ALWAYS catch my cartridges when using an opening gun and clear the stand of other peoples cartridges, when using my auto. As to using an auto in the field, I can not think of a worse gun to try to carry around all day, unless you are in a hide.

There are more semis around these days, that's for sure. Even so yesterday at Longridge there were only about 3 semis out of 130 or so entries and lets not kid ourselves, there are so many empties dropped by people using break open guns that the 24 spat out by the semis makes little or no difference when cleaning up around the stand.

I’ve noticed that quite a few people who use semi-autos , carry them between stands with a red plastic plug/ flag thing in the breech to show that the gun is “ safe “  .  I think this is fine practice , but I still wonder why the plug is red and not green ? 

Red is more visible against lots of backgrounds. Green would not be as visible against a wood or (gasp) camo stock as red is. 

I have noticed a lot more semi auto over the last few months as well, but maybe it's just me. I have been using my pump for the last few (the glares warm the cockles of me 'art) so maybe I'm just more aware of other 'mavericks' . Like when you buy a car and suddenly see that model everywhere. 

Red is more visible against lots of backgrounds. Green would not be as visible against a wood or (gasp) camo stock as red is. 

I have noticed a lot more semi auto over the last few months as well, but maybe it's just me. I have been using my pump for the last few (the glares warm the cockles of me 'art) so maybe I'm just more aware of other 'mavericks' . Like when you buy a car and suddenly see that model everywhere. 
I had to sell the 'pump' after a trip to 'Spokslavers'  !    :wink:

I had to give up playing the trombone for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use a semi as I have serious neck injuries and apart from using light loads in my browning breaker its about the only way I can carry on shooting. I use a long extendind rod with a magnet on the end which I made myself  to pick up my dead carts and usually several  other peoples with semis and breakers.

its my right to use any legal gun for my sport and sod any one who dosent like what I shoot with I don't care I don't shoot to be popular I do it because I like it

some people think that if you are paying to shoot in a comp then they should clear the mess up just like the Olympics I suppose.

many years ago I was at the oxford gun comp with the then wife who wanted to try out clays and was told by the person running the group that they were not to pick up carts they had someone to do it just like a posh shoot I guess.

I have seen several cartridge catchers for semis on American sites most have a bag hanging down to collect carts as most of them reload and if a cart lands on the floor it belongs to the range.

I was quite impressed with one I saw that grabbed the cart as as it left the chamber and held it so the shooter could pull it out and dump it in the bin but cant remember where I saw it other than it was on a forum in the usa

happy shooting

The only type that I have seen that 'grabs' the spent shell, only worked when the gun fired a single shot. The device held the spent shell, BUT there was nowhere left for a second empty to go. It was designed for the  American version of our DTL, but they are only using 1 round at a time (hence some VERY elaborate single barrelled guns) and use a 'handicap by distance' routine.

I do have an American purchased deflector thing, but it required to be 'bonded' in place using Araldite (or similar). That deflected the fired case downwards, so as not to offend any Brit trappies that may have been shooting in USA  !   :???:   I just could not bring myself to 'stick' it to my 303, preferring to 'stick it' to the Brit trappies instead !

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing wrong with an auto for clay shooting  advantages less recoil ( a very very  big plus )  negative only one choke how often do you change yours chokes ?  for sporting half choke in job done , it does throw empty shells a fair way !! o/u i think better balance,  better trigger pull on top clay guns  . as for jams few and far between . harder to unload make safe ect . o/u can be made to fit you better if taken to be fitted to you  . auto has shims ect could be perfect fit ? or a least a very close fit . your choice love my benelli  super sport  

I had to sell the 'pump' after a trip to 'Spokslavers'  !    :wink:

I had to give up playing the trombone for the same reason.
Well said Lord v!  And of course you can show off by ejecting the second fired shell into whatever they use to hold the empties.

Semi auto's are the spawn of the devil 👿. They should be piled up on top of pump actions and burnt in a ritual sacrifice. The owners should be flogged.  :)

The only type that I have seen that 'grabs' the spent shell, only worked when the gun fired a single shot. The device held the spent shell, BUT there was nowhere left for a second empty to go. It was designed for the  American version of our DTL, but they are only using 1 round at a time (hence some VERY elaborate single barrelled guns) and use a 'handicap by distance' routine.

I do have an American purchased deflector thing, but it required to be 'bonded' in place using Araldite (or similar). That deflected the fired case downwards, so as not to offend any Brit trappies that may have been shooting in USA  !   :???:   I just could not bring myself to 'stick' it to my 303, preferring to 'stick it' to the Brit trappies instead !
Where did you get the deflector from? I’m getting bored of picking cartridges out of brambles and stinging nettles..

Back