Timing:subject for a mag article?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b

On fb ive seen a lot of shooters and even a few very good shots saying ,well my score suffered a bit because my timing was out.Now most of us have said this at some point and personally seem to say it a lot,but thats another story,so i was thinking well what does timing actually relate to and if your timing is out how can you get it back ? Seems realy tricky to put into words so as i cant think of any of the usual mag writers doing this recently i was thinking it could make a good read,if any are looking in.

Whenever I have encountered the expression I have assumed it to mean the release of the shot being replicated in the same place successfully. By definition shooting well means clearing a stand and to do that you invariably have to take the clay in the (your) sweet spot, if your game is off you tend to lack confidence and will subconsciously either ride clays to make sure or try different things out of desperation, being in the zone is the exact reverse whereby you will tend to break the clay almost to within a half foot space in the sky, to me that's what timing is. 

It needn't be the same place for everyone but those who clear a stand will invariably look almost robotic. 

It can be as simple as a swing-through shooter moving at a different speed to normal, which causes chaos. (Which is why I hate swing through..). Spot shooting or “chopping off” suffers the same issue.. It’s why I try and match the speed of the clay to eliminate the problem.

I think in trap shooting, if that is what Paul is referring to, for me timing is about how far you let the target go before you move your gun to shoot it. I find if I move my gun too early or as we say down here "partir avec" means you move your gun with the target as it leaves the traphouse and instead of ripping through and shooting it you tend to follow the target and stay with it and shoot it with a dead gun... at least that is what tends to happen with me :lol:   So it is a fine line between letting it fly for a bit and letting it fly too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me i think timing means ,the time from pick up point to kill point,and in this one instance believe its as much to do with belief that what your about to do is correct is the cause of the timing to be wrong,and relates to all discaplines.

Timing for me is the motion from calling pull to executing the shot in 1 fluid motion. Mainly to do with the time lag from calli g pull to mounting the gun then executing the shot.

If my timing is out, I either mount and start to move too early and set off in front of the clay, then stop the gun due to excessive gap, or mount too late and have to chase the clay and slash through it. If my timing is bang on it all flows in 1 motion.

Timing for me is the motion from calling pull to executing the shot in 1 fluid motion. Mainly to do with the time lag from calli g pull to mounting the gun then executing the shot.

If my timing is out, I either mount and start to move too early and set off in front of the clay, then stop the gun due to excessive gap, or mount too late and have to chase the clay and slash through it. If my timing is bang on it all flows in 1 motion.
That would be sporting shooting Johnny ? With trap the wisdom is you must let the target fly for a bit before you move your gun. If you move your gun immediately on seeing the target you will not really know the angle or trajectory properly and what tends to happen is you start to follow the target. If you let it go you have time for your visual senses to work out where you need to put your shot to hit it and this helps speed your through the line of the target pulling the trigger at the right moment... so for me timing is that little moment in time where all you are doing is looking for the target and once seen how long you let it go before you move and shoot it. Some shooters require far less time than others... normally the better ones :lol:

I refer to my fencing days, its not timing per se, it is cadence. In other words it is a "feel" for the shot. Lose the feel lose the timing

I refer to my fencing days, its not timing per se, it is cadence. In other words it is a "feel" for the shot. Lose the feel lose the timing
Thats what the girlfriend said, but I said I shoot when I shoot !!!

For me it refers to shooting a stand like a robot or machine, i.e. call, swing, shoot, the same amount of time for each action every time, and the kill at exactly the place. If your timing is out you lose rythmn and consequently do not shoot each bird the same way and chance missing.

In trap it is not possible to shoot each target at the same place (same timing) due to differing speed and angle. Therefore timing in this particular sense is more to do with the setup or pre shot routine and timing in relation to actually taking the shot is more to do with "feel"

I have always considered that ones preshot routine up to and including calling for the target has a massive influence on how the shot is taken. For instance a rushed mount equals a rushed shot, a tentative gun mount equals a tentative shot. A smooth but positive preshot routine / gun mount equals a smooth positive shot. I even consider the way one calls for the target influences the shot, folk who call in an aggressive manner usually take the shot quickly and with gusto conversely a soft confident call usually translates to a smooth and confident shot. 

All of the above can be considered to be part of the term "timing" only my opinion of course.

I even consider the way one calls for the target influences the shot,
Ian you would have laughed at the shoot yesterday there was a guy there using a referee's whistle to call the target ! :lol:  And he was sh*t hot too he shot 96 for second place!

When the clocks went forward that played havoc with my timing,i was an hour in front of every clay.🤔

In trap it is not possible to shoot each target at the same place (same timing) due to differing speed and angle. Therefore timing in this particular sense is more to do with the setup or pre shot routine and timing in relation to actually taking the shot is more to do with "feel"

I have always considered that ones preshot routine up to and including calling for the target has a massive influence on how the shot is taken. For instance a rushed mount equals a rushed shot, a tentative gun mount equals a tentative shot. A smooth but positive preshot routine / gun mount equals a smooth positive shot. I even consider the way one calls for the target influences the shot, folk who call in an aggressive manner usually take the shot quickly and with gusto conversely a soft confident call usually translates to a smooth and confident shot. 

All of the above can be considered to be part of the term "timing" only my opinion of course.
l can see your point, l was thinking more of sporting or skeet didn't consider D.L. or A.B.T.  etc. Can't really see how timing is a problem with trap, as the target direction is predetermined to some extent, and the gun pre-mounted so the speed of the going away target dictates the timing. 

Oldblaster you realy need to do some trap if you think its all pre determined and doesnt require timing.Trap shooters cant understand though swing through is the method they are using and any sporting shot will agree timing has to be spot on with this method,and especially with the faster trap the time between moving your eyes to the clay verses the time to move the gun to the clay have to be corect ,do them both together and your in the poop.

Is timing the same as rhythm.....or is that a daft question? I did a PB a few weeks back after not picking up a gun in months and having analysed it since it felt like there was a ‘rhythm’ to my behaviour that day in an almost robotic way as Hamster mentioned earlier. 

On reflection I suspect it was helped by the preceding break insofar as my mind was clear from the start with no expectations...what tends to happen with me is that in the week between shoots (during the season) I do spend quite a lot of time reading about it on forums, magazines etc....then when Sunday finally comes around my head’s full of fluff. 

Its really made me think about the whole timing/rhythm/routine thing though...and how big a part it plays.  

Is timing the same as rhythm.....or is that a daft question? I did a PB a few weeks back after not picking up a gun in months and having analysed it since it felt like there was a ‘rhythm’ to my behaviour that day in an almost robotic way as Hamster mentioned earlier. 

On reflection I suspect it was helped by the preceding break insofar as my mind was clear from the start with no expectations...what tends to happen with me is that in the week between shoots (during the season) I do spend quite a lot of time reading about it on forums, magazines etc....then when Sunday finally comes around my head’s full of fluff. 

Its really made me think about the whole timing/rhythm/routine thing though...and how big a part it plays.  
I agree iggy. I call it "cadence" or "feel" but your rhythm is much the same thing....semantics realy

Latest posts

Back