DTL minimum cartridge requirements

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salop sniper

Folks, I know zero about trap.

But I now have a requirement to get educated. Not for me, for the wife.

So what's the softest/lightest cartridges realistically you can use for DTL ?

Is 21gram viable or hull compx 21/24 gram ? Am thinking compx may be too slow regardless of the payloads ?

I used 21grm comp ex 7.5 this morning on dtl and  what was hit was pulverised, the misses were my fault not the shells

So a 21gram hull compx isn't putting her at a serious disadvantage.

I really want her to enjoy it and stick with it but it won't last long if it's beating her up and she is suffering. I know she will be able to up things with practice but it's one gentle step at a time to start.

Oviously a 28grm 8 first barrel  would be the optimun but if she has any recoil problems 21grm 7.5 will do the job fine.

24 gram will be ideal , choose a smooth one that she likes and get on with it . Most manufacturers do very good 24gram , but stay clear of those used for International disciplines as they MAY be a bit punchy.

Don’t worry about the speed of comp x, they’re fast enough.

24 gram will be ideal , choose a smooth one that she likes and get on with it . Most manufacturers do very good 24gram , but stay clear of those used for International disciplines as they MAY be a bit punchy.
She shot 25 of the Eley amber's at 24gram ! That was as much as she can take for now without to much discomfort after. I didn't realise they are 1350fps and slower so am guessing softer than the hull compx anyway, only way of softening things further is 21gram and a recoil pad ?

It has probably been said many times BUT by far the most important thing is to get what ever is being shot on target! If your wife has a coach or a buddy that is competent in knowing where she is shooting then misses in general will be down to not being on target NOT the cartridge! I would let her stick with the 21g and work toward making a reasonable score then if she is wanting to try a heavier load let her try it. However to reiterate it would be worse to beat her up with a heavy cartridge in an effort to break the targets she will do better with a lighter load and accepting what she scores... just my opinion.

It has probably been said many times BUT by far the most important thing is to get what ever is being shot on target! If your wife has a coach or a buddy that is competent in knowing where she is shooting then misses in general will be down to not being on target NOT the cartridge! I would let her stick with the 21g and work toward making a reasonable score then if she is wanting to try a heavier load let her try it. However to reiterate it would be worse to beat her up with a heavy cartridge in an effort to break the targets she will do better with a lighter load and accepting what she scores... just my opinion.
This is exactly my thoughts. I also figure she will build muscle and improve technique that will help her up cartridges and recoil. 

Children can shoot pigeon loads with a properly fitted gun.  Your main concern should be that her gun fits as it should as that is the primary recoil reduction device.  Finding someone who actually knows that they're doing in that regard may prove difficult but perhaps one of the women shooters here can offer a lead.

Agree with charlie, properly fitting gun = no pain from recoil.

She shot 25 of the Eley amber's at 24gram ! That was as much as she can take for now without to much discomfort after. I didn't realise they are 1350fps and slower so am guessing softer than the hull compx anyway, only way of softening things further is 21gram and a recoil pad ?
21g comp ex are a great cartridge and if you are on the target they will do the job easily for DTL,ESP,SKEET shot most of the Barbury challenge with them last year..the prize 28g sovereigns a fair deal i thought  :cool:

Back