Base layer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiteman

Guys

You clay shooter out there what do you use as long sleeve base layer to shoot with in when cold do not want to buy branded top like Beretta or Perazzi so what are your thoughts.

Chris

Decathlon bases are great I use them a lot but for a touch of class I, when it is cold use a merino base layer with a decathlon over the top ... toasty. 

Anything your comfortable in!!  I do a lot of fishing/golf too so have some Under Armour, Musto etc.  FootJoy is really good but I also have some basic M&S which also does the job. 

Golf shops all selling winter stuff off cheap now and it's nice to shoot in as they have plenty of room to move in.  I also have golf waterproofs, again, much much cheaper than branded shooting products.

Have a look online, I've just got a really nice skeet vest off John Norris, should have been £99, got it for £14.99!   Bargains to be had if you don't mind "last seasons" colours!!

Comfort is the key though, as long as it doesn't catch/snag when mounting or shooting go with what you like.  Having an expensive base layer won't make you a better shot.

Having an expensive base layer won't make you a better shot
But it will keep you warm and that will help you shoot better... there is nothing worse than trying to concentrate on the clay than being cold an trying to concentrate on the clay.. or pheasant for that matter.

merino wafer thin but warm!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the Snowbee fishing thermal base layer from John Norris. It was £20 in their sale. I have used them all winter for clayshooting, with just a fleece zip necked top as an outer layer. In the really cold wind I used my Rohan lightweight fold up windproof and waterproof jacket and then my skeet vest. I have never felt cold. 

Berghaus baselayer is good! Got two, one in Blue and one in Black. Not as spanxy as Under Armour / Kukri / Canterbury baselayers but a good comfortable fit.  :brr:

Warmth is the key as said above but it doesn't have to be expensive. Some feel the cold more than others. Find what works for you then when you find what you like, buy in the sales.  Always cheap winter stuff in summer sales for next year.

When cold your body will not move the same as if you were warm, your shooting will be a lot less fluent with tight mussels from the cold. I find it best to wear a thermal jacket over your vest when queuing and remove when you go into the stand, you will still be warm long enough to shoot the targets.     

Orvis long sleeve casting shirts but the are not cheap or ASOS muscle fit long sleeved t shirts 3 for £20 are brilliant too. 

When cold your body will not move the same as if you were warm, your shooting will be a lot less fluent with tight mussels from the cold. I find it best to wear a thermal jacket over your vest when queuing and remove when you go into the stand, you will still be warm long enough to shoot the targets.     
Agree. In the winter, I don’t have my name on my clothing and can often be identified by doing the funky chicken dance to keep muscles warm..

There is a fantastic make of merino wool base layers by icebreaker. You can buy them at winter sports places like snow and rock. I've also seen them come up very cheap on the excellent flash sale website sportspursuit.com. 

I've used their 3 layer system of base, middle, and top to stay warm and dry whilst skiing in minus twenty six degrees. 

Over here I've been stalking on some foul days and just 2 layers and my ridge line jacket and I'm dry and warm. 

Best thing is 3 layers adds zero bulk to you, so under a clay jacket it's perfect IMHO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back