Fao question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I’m planning some renovation  work at home and as a result will probably store my guns for a couple of weeks with RFD, in addition I’m planning on removing my cabinet so it’s not obvious that there are usually guns in the house.

Do I need to advise FAO of storage and the fact that I’m temporarily removing and then reinstalling (in same place to same - or better standard) my cabinet

I would have said no need to inform fao, placing guns in rfd's care temporarily is somewhat different to if you were intending to lend a gun to another certificate holder for a similar period. The only instance I can see a call being necessary is if you were altering the location OR access/integrity of the present room. 

No you don’t have to inform the police for a RFD storage.

It’s the same if you sent them for sale or return you would only inform the police if the guns were actually sold.

Regarding telling them about security changes it’s a grey area. You are responsible for your own security so you are not legally obliged to tell them of any changes at all.

The grey area is the chief of police is also legally obligated to check your security. If he/she is not happy about any changes then they must revoke or not issue you certificate.

My advice is to stop any complications is to drop them line and inform them what you have done. It saves a lot of hassle at renewal time and stops your FEO getting the hump.

In your case though I probably wouldn’t bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I will ask for forgiveness rather than permission... having discussed it domestically, I’m going to get the wall built forward around the cabinet gap in the wardrobe so the cabinet front will be effectively be flush to the wall, still bolted to exterior wall at the back and then above in the brought forward wall I will have another recess for a shelf and a separate valuables safe also recessed so it will be two safes set into a wall with a shelf in between

They passed it in the same place just screwed to the external wall so I really can’t see anyone being unhappy so ill get them round once it’s done, thanks for advice..

I’m thinking of fitting a lockable security door to the closet the cabinet is in, does anyone have any experience of these?  It’s possible to get some quite nice fascia so it’s not obviously high security.  Are there any disadvantages other than weight and danger of being lock d out of your clothes?

I only have a 2 gun cabinet and when my FEO inspected it he said if I get more than two guns and either want to swap out this cabinet for a bigger one or add another one just to go ahead and do the changes then let him know.  He'll be in and out in 30 seconds so for the hassle of one phone call and answering the door for a quick look over by the feo you will cover yourself. 

Personally I'd do it even if it isn't strictly a legal requirement.

Good advice, that’s where I was edging toward, I think I’ll get the work done then advise.

i was surprised how reasonable it is to store guns at RFD, think I’m going to start doing this when away on holiday

I think I will ask for forgiveness rather than permission... having discussed it domestically, I’m going to get the wall built forward around the cabinet gap in the wardrobe so the cabinet front will be effectively be flush to the wall, still bolted to exterior wall at the back and then above in the brought forward wall I will have another recess for a shelf and a separate valuables safe also recessed so it will be two safes set into a wall with a shelf in between

They passed it in the same place just screwed to the external wall so I really can’t see anyone being unhappy so ill get them round once it’s done, thanks for advice..

I’m thinking of fitting a lockable security door to the closet the cabinet is in, does anyone have any experience of these?  It’s possible to get some quite nice fascia so it’s not obviously high security.  Are there any disadvantages other than weight and danger of being lock d out of your clothes?
ihave a similar arrangement and the new bit of wall could extend a couple of inches past the front of the cabinet ,then cut a tight fit panel painted the same colour as the inside of the wardrobe and use a couple o fneodyneum  magnets to hold it in place ,the cabinet is then invisible unless you know about the false panel,my feo was visible impressed and complemented me on the idea,

ihave a similar arrangement and the new bit of wall could extend a couple of inches past the front of the cabinet ,then cut a tight fit panel painted the same colour as the inside of the wardrobe and use a couple o fneodyneum  magnets to hold it in place ,the cabinet is then invisible unless you know about the false panel,my feo was visible impressed and complemented me on the idea,
Wow, I love the magnet idea, thanks for the tip!

another tip put a couple of those adhesive lights in the top of the cabinet that have sensors and come on when you open the door ,helps when the cabinet is in a dark corner ,got mine from ebay about £4 each

another tip put a couple of those adhesive lights in the top of the cabinet that have sensors and come on when you open the door ,helps when the cabinet is in a dark corner ,got mine from ebay about £4 each
Great tip, I did that already by recycling part of the old wardrobe..  I’ve also lined the cabinet in baize and the sharp edges with foam in an effort to avoid cabinet dings (can’t fit scoped rifles in socks)

Latest posts

Back