Just can’t be bothered...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

What do you guys do when you lose all interest in shooting?  Supposed to be out yesterday pigeon roosting and the clay shooting today and I have no interest in going.

I prefer training or working the dog to pulling the trigger, if you dont feel like it get a spaniel, never a dull moment with a spaniel 😁

I’ve only really lost interest when I’m in a slump (as recently). Otherwise basically never got tired of it!

Something else !

I stopped shooting regularly for nigh on 8 years . I was only going out of habit  I think . Trying to find space in time slots dominated by work and family .  

So I went fly fishing  more , I rode a motorbike , things I could fit in  on odd evenings . Like any other hobby the moment you feel it’s not working for you give it a rest .

It’s not a matter of life or death , whatever anyone may tell you it’s just a hobby  :rolleyes: . I took early retirement 2 years ago , and now I have more “ me time “ I’m actually back into and enjoying shooting,  but on my terms , it’s just a social thing without any registered targets , and a pint and a pie afterwards is more fun than the shooting !  

Put the guns in the cupboard for a few months , they don’t eat anything .  You’ll probably enjoy it again after a break , if you don’t there is life after shooting ! 

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys do when you lose all interest in shooting?  Supposed to be out yesterday pigeon roosting and the clay shooting today and I have no interest in going.
Have you tried knitting  ??

Due to a bit of a hectic time at home at present, I am not shooting too well either. The result being, a reluctance to want to go shooting. However in 2 weeks time the boats are put back on the trout lake and a new season begins there. I have also treated myself to a nice 20 bore to see if that will rekindle my interest. So, for now it is back to the fly tying vice and watch out you trout  !

Have you tried knitting  ??

Due to a bit of a hectic time at home at present, I am not shooting too well either. The result being, a reluctance to want to go shooting. However in 2 weeks time the boats are put back on the trout lake and a new season begins there. I have also treated myself to a nice 20 bore to see if that will rekindle my interest. So, for now it is back to the fly tying vice and watch out you trout  !
I was going to chastise you for your spelling of "vice" v/ "vise" when I realized that may well have been what you meant.  It's a funny old world.

Yes, I know that.  There is also the alternate def for "vice" in both vernaculars, which is what I was actually referring to.

Yes, I know that.  There is also the alternate def for "vice" in both vernaculars, which is what I was actually referring to.
Yes, I used to have several vices, problem was the older I got, the fly tying one is the only one remaining  !      :lol:

I have found that this year the combination of a long wet winter and Sussex clay have beaten me and I haven't been able to run my shoot.  With that, and having two young kids I've just not been fussed about clays in the cold. 

I've shot 130 cartridges since Christmas. 70 bird sporting at willow farm, and 60 at a gun fitting session at EJ Churchill. 

With the additional hour of daylight after this weekend though I plan to get plenty of stalks in for the last month or Bucks. 

Try having kids if you haven't already got some. All my hobbies stopped for 5 years when I had mine so would be a good excuse for you to not want to shoot any more. Then when you finally find some time for hobbies you'll be very appreciative of the time out for shooting.

Yes, I used to have several vices, problem was the older I got, the fly tying one is the only one remaining  !      :lol:
Over time mu vices have priced me out of the market.  It's easy to be vice-free if you simply can't afford it.  I've compensated by acquiring less expensive and legal vices.  Mostly legal.   :angel:

I have not had any trigger time for the last 2 months due to the weather, work and family commitments, I look forward to being bored of shooting. They do say a change is as good as a rest though.

Same as Phil and myself, only 2 compacts (for me) since Christmas for lots of different reasons.  Hands get stiff in the cold and I just didn’t want to go out in it, Phil was getting rid of his gun and it’s taken a while for him to get the one he wants and feels comfortable with (he picks it up Thursday). I’ve had my fixed choke altered to multi and hopefully get that back in the next day or two, but also just felt a bit fed up with the whole thing, certain things have got to me and I’m glad I’ve taken a step back for a while rather than going out, getting a sh*t score then beating myself up over it.  So, hopefully we are going to Southdown on Friday for a practice then my first sporting shoot of the new year at Southdown on Monday,  I’m hoping I’ll forget the negatives and just go for it.  

But we also have other hobbies, fly fishing and golf so if not shooting we still have plenty of other things to do as long as the weather doesn’t muck it up for us,  also, love just going out and walking my lovely black lab.

Latest posts

Back