mib bead and adjustable comb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanco

Hi 

I wonder if anyone could help me please. I am new and only shoot DTL at the moment.

I have an Mk38.

On each shot I make sure that the mid bead is inline with the end bead and that I have a figure of 8.

I was shooting with a very experienced chap the other day and he said that I was missing them "over the top". So a few days later I went back for some practice and shot lower or rather under the clay.

I would not say I was sitting the clay on the bead I had plenty of day light between end bead and clay........................ BOOM they were like dust. Another chap said I needed an adjustable comb as that would help.

my question is if i am using the beads as a figure of 8 why would the gun shoot high? Is that not one of the two reasons to have the mid bead.

Chanco

Last edited by a moderator:
You might shoot over the target, because you’re swing speed is (too) high.

It’s also possible that you shoot pretty late, when the target is already dropping.

I would recommend to test on a pattern plate first, to be sure the gun is shooting high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trap guns are set to shoot high, if you stack the beads at fig 8 you will usually get 60-40 % pattern sometimes more (as in 60% of pattern above poa) however as everyones perception of the target is different it isnt an exact science . At DTL you should always be able to see the clay above the bead however with experience you will "feel" the gap rather than see it.

JDL makes valid points and could indeed be correct. Its difficult without seing you shoot.

Thank you both. I have arranged for a pattern plate test this weekend 

Best way to set a gun up is on a straight dtl target from peg 3. Pattern plates arr interesting but can mess with your head. Dont get too anylitical or things get worse. Look only at the target or better still the leading edge and the shot will happen on its own. Shoot to hit the target rather than shooting not to miss.

There you go ....

Agree with Ian don't get caught up looking at your barrels while shooting its a recipe for a miss. I would go further and say forget all about this figure eight of beads and the pattern plate. Just learn to shoulder your gun consistently an learn where it shoots. In my opinion if you are going to a pattern plate and using the bead to find where your gun is shooting you are liable to use the bead when shooting and , again only my opinion, this is a bad idea... I think it leads to stopping your gun... the barrels of your gun should be a subliminal reference point only.

Latest posts

Back