All Round Question - different shotguns for each discipline

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlafUK

Planning to shoot the All Round competition in my County this year and was thinking of what gun/guns to use.

Is it allowable to use two different guns for the various specified disciplines? I’ve checked the rule book and it doesn’t mention anything on this. And to clarify I’m not talking about changing a gun within the individual discipline, which can only be done due to gun malfunctions, but rather using a Trap gun for SB and ABT and then a sporter for the ESK and ESP.

Anyone know if this is an issue? I’d imagine its not, but wanted to know what other people thought. Ta

You can use what you want gun and cartridge wise there are no rules except to cartridge sizes, all round is about the shooters ability not the gun  :smile:

Planning to shoot the All Round competition in my County this year and was thinking of what gun/guns to use.

Is it allowable to use two different guns for the various specified disciplines? I’ve checked the rule book and it doesn’t mention anything on this. And to clarify I’m not talking about changing a gun within the individual discipline, which can only be done due to gun malfunctions, but rather using a Trap gun for SB and ABT and then a sporter for the ESK and ESP.

Anyone know if this is an issue? I’d imagine its not, but wanted to know what other people thought. Ta
Obviously don’t use an auto for the trap disciplines. The rules allow it but your fellow competitors certainly won’t.

That aside, use any number of guns, cartridges and chokes you like.

Ah yes, I remember the pre multi-choke and adjustable comb days well. I used to lug 2 guns and 3 barrels around the grounds  !     :rolleyes:

Someone actually produced a gunslip with a spare barrel carrier incorporated in the design !

Last edited by a moderator:
so whats the problem with using a semi auto I think it fits the rules or am I mistaken

so whats the problem with using a semi auto I think it fits the rules or am I mistaken
Some trappies get the arse with the cartridges being flung out near them - Tough sh*te i say, its an alround comp.

As above about equipment  rules.

Still think it's best to use the same gun on all though. 

As above about equipment  rules.

Still think it's best to use the same gun on all though. 
I agree with paul use your usual gun.

We (paul and ball trap) used to do the all round at westhoughton many years ago before multi choke and it was done with a trap gun, well i did and i assume they did . I actually nearly won the lancashire champs one year but the skeet cocked it up .....thinking about it...take a skeet gun as well 😜

We (paul and ball trap) used to do the all round at westhoughton many years ago before multi choke and it was done with a trap gun, well i did and i assume they did . I actually nearly won the lancashire champs one year but the skeet cocked it up .....thinking about it...take a skeet gun as well 😜
Yup, 32” Trap Gun could be a bit slow on the Skeet layout! It is a MC and I do have 2 skeet chokes and some 9’s in the Cupboard somewhere, so could just use the one gun. Other one is a 28” 28 bore which I use for a bit of fun when I move away from the dark side and have a go at skeet and Sporting. Think I’ll take ips advice and pack both with a range of cartridges and have a crack! 

Ah yes, I remember the pre multi-choke and adjustable comb days well. I used to lug 2 guns and 3 barrels around the grounds  !     :rolleyes:

Someone actually produced a gunslip with a spare barrel carrier incorporated in the design !
Something like this?

087EDD96-3BBA-4AA8-84CE-907E679FC09C.jpeg

For goodness sake please let’s not spend any time discussing semi auto’s on a trap line. We must have something more interesting to discuss?

Then again, probably not.

remember Geoff Gill winning the North West Skeet at a windy Westhoughton with a 32" Miroku trap 

Use the same multi choke gun, preferably 32" (but not an auto) just vary the way you hold it for ABT or DTL.

Ignore the trappies . Use what you want . Even an auto. Mrs won silver at the WM intercounties with her A400. Just don't talk within a 500 mile radius of a trap layout. Apparently it ruins their concentration. 😁 Bless the little luvvies.😁

Jasper 

Dont know the name 
It's a Japanese gun that was a direct copy of the old Browning O/U. They have proved to be rather popular, BUT that is only what I have read, so it could be wrong     :angel:

Yup, 32” Trap Gun could be a bit slow on the Skeet layout! It is a MC and I do have 2 skeet chokes and some 9’s in the Cupboard somewhere, so could just use the one gun. Other one is a 28” 28 bore which I use for a bit of fun when I move away from the dark side and have a go at skeet and Sporting. Think I’ll take ips advice and pack both with a range of cartridges and have a crack! 

Something like this?

View attachment 7091
A bit like that except it was closed by a flap and press stud rather than a full zip. The same idea though.

Ignore the trappies . Use what you want . Even an auto. Mrs won silver at the WM intercounties with her A400. Just don't talk within a 500 mile radius of a trap layout. Apparently it ruins their concentration. 😁 Bless the little luvvies.😁

Jasper 
I think shooting trap with an auto is the future. Watching the trap shooters silently expressing their anger is highly entertaining.

Beretta thought so too, hence their break open auto. I used a Remmie 1100 Trap for many years, mind you, back then,  the Trap brigade blamed themselves if they shot badly    !    ^_^

Latest posts

Back