Brace yourself, more price rises coming...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bollocks scaremongering we don't buy targets from the states!

In fact this is just the sought of thing people see and say to themselves,i can get away with it as they are expecting it.

Plus they are probably getting the rises we have already had.

Correct! Our clays are different size as well!
Well i never - i was about to call "Bullsh*t" but something made me check.

European targets - 110mm (i only checked CCI / Promatic)

White Flyer - 108mm

White flyer do make an "International / Olympic" version which is 110mm / 105grams to meet ISSF stipulations. 

Guess everyday is a school day.

I wonder how much that 2mm less diameter affects the balance and weight and thereby the spin rate as the NSSA skeet targets over there seem to fly so much better. Them there Americans are better shots than i thought hitting smaller targets.  

Raw material price rise. Lead price very strong too $-

White Flyer - 108mm

White flyer do make an "International / Olympic" version which is 110mm / 105grams to meet ISSF stipulations. 

I wonder how much that 2mm less diameter affects the balance and weight and thereby the spin rate as the NSSA skeet targets over there seem to fly so much better. Them there Americans are better shots than i thought hitting smaller targets.  
Also a different shape

It also means that if you buy White Flyers or any other 108mm targets you will have to readjust your traps to take them and throw them!

American targets break easier than ours and will not take as much spring!

I was told over the last year the clay price had gone up by 30%.Not checked,it is what it is,if the ground wants to justify its round price increase that way,thats up to them nobodys making me go,ill just have less rounds when i do.

Reading the article and having had some exposure to the transition of Bauxite into aluminium, pitch is actually only used as a binding product for the pre-baked anodes in the smelting plant - sounds like BS to me.

I think the 30% price rise in clays is really a myth , promoted by ground owners to justify ripping us off . Phil Smith who distributes Pro-matic Clays which are actually imported from Italy and other Countries ( at extra cost) told me that clays had actually increased in price 9% over the last three years.

I bought 150 black standards about three years ago from Countrywide Store for £12-50.

Bought 150 CCI off Hodnet last month for £11 and that is retail , not trade and not at the 25,000 rate per pallet.

Hornet Clays made in Poland and marketed by Garlands are dirt cheap, although I have heard about quality issues with them I have not had any issues , but then, I adjust knife seperators , soft fall plates etc. and don't like 'no -birds'.

White Flyer - 108mm

Where have you shot in the US? On average the US is at an altitude over 1000' and sometimes a lot more. At 30 degrees C and 1000m above sea level the air density is considerably different to being at 20 degrees at 100' in the UK. That alone might make a huge difference. For one thing a clay may have to fly slower to go the same distance. ( Which makes them there 'mericuns worse shots if you ask me :)  )

Man I sure miss playing golf at 3800' msl. I could match Tiger on the fairway drives!

IIRC it has been demonstrated that elevation and and air temperature have so little effect on target speed and distance as to be insignificant.  But the belief still serves as an excellent whine.

And a couple mm diff in diameter will have no effect on machine operation.  I've cranked up a Beomat wobble to throw standard ATA White Flyers easily in excess of 60yds.  That is not to say that they would work in a bunker cos I never tried that, just that they are not "fragile".  Currently I crank up a Pat trap for about 55yds and breakage is about non-existent.

just sayin'

IIRC it has been demonstrated that elevation and and air temperature have so little effect on target speed and distance as to be insignificant.  But the belief still serves as an excellent whine.

And a couple mm diff in diameter will have no effect on machine operation.  I've cranked up a Beomat wobble to throw standard ATA White Flyers easily in excess of 60yds.  That is not to say that they would work in a bunker cos I never tried that, just that they are not "fragile".  Currently I crank up a Pat trap for about 55yds and breakage is about non-existent.

just sayin'
It’s not just 2mm diameter, US clays are also slightly different shape (higher dome) and they are lighter weight. Ping pong ball doesn’t go as far as a golf ball and the golf ball retains its speed for longer.

Of course - - but that is not what I was commenting on.  I'll get a couple targets and see what the weight difference is tho that has nothing to do with target speeds and distances vs/ elevation or temperature.

Slightly off topic but a few game  cartridges have come down in price in local shop, I assume it’s price reduction although could be shifting non seasonal stock

Back