Do stock dimensions need bringing up to date?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

Following on a bit from the adjustable comb debate, are most manufacturers standard stock dimensions out of date.

If you look on social media there is a growing trend for custom stocks. If you look at these stocks I would imagine 90% of them have been made with a semi Monte Carlo design and not far off parallel comb, similar to the CG ascents, blaser vantage etc, but for normal ribbed guns. I have 3 close friends all with custom stocks made from 3 different gunsmiths, and all of them have come back with a parralel comb and semi Monte Carlo.

If most of the custom stocks are being made with this design, is it time manufacturers need to start offering this design as a standard option on even standard ribbed guns.

You are most likely not wrong however the shotgun manufacturers are fiercely traditional, most likely because the customer base is too.   If any manufacturer tries to innovate or do something a little bit different it tends to be shunned, making stocks out of something other than wood would be a really good start and yet aside from a few oddities there are none on premium guns.

Following on a bit from the adjustable comb debate, are most manufacturers standard stock dimensions out of date.

If you look on social media there is a growing trend for custom stocks. If you look at these stocks I would imagine 90% of them have been made with a semi Monte Carlo design and not far off parallel comb, similar to the CG ascents, blaser vantage etc, but for normal ribbed guns. I have 3 close friends all with custom stocks made from 3 different gunsmiths, and all of them have come back with a parralel comb and semi Monte Carlo.

If most of the custom stocks are being made with this design, is it time manufacturers need to start offering this design as a standard option on even standard ribbed guns.
ESP guns stocks are hopelessly out of date. 

For me the combs on all sporters are way to low, and the stock far to long. Take a look around at the people that have adjustable combs, and the amount that are lifted up, not just moved over for cast. The trouble is one stock doesn't fit all, so as a manufacturer where would you start? CG started the trend for stock dimensions for women, and Beretta and Blaser have followed suit, but it is not just the ladies the need shorter stocks and higher combs.

Can't wait to get my old Gold e back, that is currently away having the stock converted to a monte carlo.

You are most likely not wrong however the shotgun manufacturers are fiercely traditional, most likely because the customer base is too.   If any manufacturer tries to innovate or do something a little bit different it tends to be shunned, making stocks out of something other than wood would be a really good start and yet aside from a few oddities there are none on premium guns.
I think fiercely frugal would be a more appropriate term.  Anything beyond whacking the stock out of one piece of wood with no spangles makes for the cheapest production and the lowest possible market price.

Follow The Money

That may be the case amongst some sporting shooters, it certainly isn’t as far as other disciplines are concerned. The abundance of custom and composite stocks made by PFS, Ergosign, Riccardo and others is proof of that. Aside from being individually made we see stocks with internal balancers, recoil reducers, custom grips, custom pads and so on. In fact, there’s hardly a competitor regularly at the sharp end of competition that doesn’t have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right, trap stock are all too low. I have said for some time off the shelf stock should be way high then you can shave it down to suit.

Every gun that I pick up the stock is miles too high.😲

My trap stock has a drop at comb of 37/47 which is lower than any standard supplied trap stock.  A favourite height of Beretta trap stocks ordered in by GMK is 29/39 that would look ludicrous shaved down as IPS suggested and also have an effect on cast.

My trap stock has a drop at comb of 37/47 which is lower than any standard supplied trap stock.  A favourite height of Beretta trap stocks ordered in by GMK is 29/39 that would look ludicrous shaved down as IPS suggested and also have an effect on cast.
just measured my sporter its 28/38mm

29 - 39 would suit me.

Beretta from my experience are generally 34-44 unless you factory order or at least that was the case , maybe they have altered things.

A stock shaved down will not look ludicrous or effect cast if done properly, stock makers do it all the time 

29 - 39 would suit me.

Beretta from my experience are generally 34-44 unless you factory order or at least that was the case , maybe they have altered things.

A stock shaved down will not look ludicrous or effect cast if done properly, stock makers do it all the time 
Beretta standard trap stock heights were 29/39; 32/42; 35/45 and Monte Carlo 35/35/55 and 38/38/58. The importer, Gunmark as was in my Beretta days during the mid 80's, would choose which comb height they wanted for their market and 29/39 was the regular here. Taking 8mm in my case off the stock will make the pad depth look ludicrous to me, it will ruin the aesthetics of the stock.  I'm fully aware of what stockers can and can't do. The bolt hole in Beretta competition stocks is offset and shaving the side of the comb to get the cast correct can reduce the depth of wood to the hole considerably or in the words of an over eager shaver who will remain nameless  "oops, I didn't mean to do that".  I've spent many hours sitting in the workshop of Malcolm Jenkins, master stockmaker, watching him sort out my stocks to learn such things.

Anyway you're no longer a clay shooter so your comments are pretty much irrelevant :lol: :lol: :lol:  Are you still a member of the CPSA?

☺️ no i am no longer cpsa i am NGO 👍

Yes i understand about the bolt hole which is why Berettas own adj gizmo is sometimes poorly fitted due to lack of wood to screw into. My idea about oversized stock would of course take into account the fact that your going to shave it. It would be a new design.

Every Beretta i have had apart from one has had 34-44 drop. Yes they were available in three sizes but as you rightfully say gmk picked what size they wanted and unless you factory ordered that's what you got and i respectfully disagree that the size was anything other than 34-44 at least from 1994 which was the year i went Beretta👍

Last edited by a moderator:
My 725 sporter is 35 - 50 so my face is on the comb at around 40.

But I would really like a semi Monte Carlo of 38 - 42 comb and a heal of around 60. This should give a nice parallel comb to reduce recoil and a lower heal to get a slightly more heads up position.  A lot of custom stocks look to be coming out in roughly these dimensions. Caesar Guerini have had great success with the ascents, maybe the others need to catch on.

☺️ no i am no longer cpsa i am NGO 👍

Yes i understand about the bolt hole which is why Berettas own adj gizmo is sometimes poorly fitted due to lack of wood to screw into. My idea about oversized stock would of course take into account the fact that your going to shave it. It would be a new design.

Every Beretta i have had apart from one has had 34-44 drop. Yes they were available in three sizes but as you rightfully say gmk picked what size they wanted and unless you factory ordered that's what you got and i respectfully disagree that the size was anything other than 34-44 at least from 1994 which was the year i went Beretta👍
If you buy SO10 there are no set dimensions, the stock comes unfinished as a lump of wood, you can have what you like

Latest posts

Back