Field gun vs dedicated clay gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an, out of curiosity question really... 

I shoot a Beretta 690 Field 3 for most things since I've had it, including clays - it fits me really well and I enjoy shooting it.. 

Now, completely hypothetically, if I was to add a dedicated clay gun to the collection, in this example a Beretta 692 (based purely on the fact the 690 fits me well, and assuming the 692 fits well also..) what would the advantages be? If any. 

Would it purely be a reduction in felt recoil due to it being heavier, or are there any other distinctive benefits of having a gun designed solely for clays? 

Having only had a clay gun for a short stint before part exing it for the Beretta...my two other guns are game guns, so it would be of interest to read other peoples opinions. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

Wouldn't be a huge difference in the guns you mention.  If I were in your shoes  I'd pick up a second hand  DT10  as your clay gun 

Well I have a Beretta sliver Pig III and to be honest it is far from ideal to shoot as a clay gun BECAUSE of recoil it is very light. I shoot my MX8 which is 4kg and don't feel recoil at all so I think you will notice a difference if the fit is the same. As to a gun purely for clay shooting yes there are dedicated competition clay guns Perazzi and some others... :)  

Cheers for he replies chaps :)

Ultimately, the only real benefit of a clay gun is the weight, would you Say? 

Dave 

Just an, out of curiosity question really... 

I shoot a Beretta 690 Field 3 for most things since I've had it, including clays - it fits me really well and I enjoy shooting it.. 

Now, completely hypothetically, if I was to add a dedicated clay gun to the collection, in this example a Beretta 692 (based purely on the fact the 690 fits me well, and assuming the 692 fits well also..) what would the advantages be? If any. 

Would it purely be a reduction in felt recoil due to it being heavier, or are there any other distinctive benefits of having a gun designed solely for clays? 

Having only had a clay gun for a short stint before part exing it for the Beretta...my two other guns are game guns, so it would be of interest to read other peoples opinions. 

Cheers, 

Dave 
Ultimately the biggest benefactor will be your local gunshop... 690 field is a cracking gun, if you are getting beaten up then looks at 24g carts if you have £3K burning a hole in your pocket send Mrs Dave on a Spa break and you will never be whinged at for shooting again..

Ultimately the biggest benefactor will be your local gunshop... 690 field is a cracking gun, if you are getting beaten up then looks at 24g carts if you have £3K burning a hole in your pocket send Mrs Dave on a Spa break and you will never be whinged at for shooting again..
No issues with recoil on the 690! Doesn't look likethere is much justification at all for looking at a clay gun Haha! 

No issues with recoil on the 690! Doesn't look likethere is much justification at all for looking at a clay gun Haha! 
With hindsight I should have kept my 690 and ditched my clay gun, but I only use sxs for game so it made sense at the time .  If you are competing at a high level rather than shooting for fun then there might be an incremental benefit of buying a special clay gun  but I would bet money that it’s psychological rather than anything else.

With hindsight I should have kept my 690 and ditched my clay gun, but I only use sxs for game so it made sense at the time .  If you are competing at a high level rather than shooting for fun then there might be an incremental benefit of buying a special clay gun  but I would bet money that it’s psychological rather than anything else.
He COULD be competing at a VERY high level in the near future  !   :angel:

Latest posts

Back