Went and joined the dark side.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord v

Used my BiLs Mossberg 500 over Christmas while out in the states and was reminded just how much fun they are. 

Picked up a weatherby PA-08 yesterday at SGC, tidy little number and way less than £300 new. 

Despite reveiws saying it's difficult to assemble after breaking down it's really not. The instructions are less than helpful though.

Put 150 through it this morning (only one or two filthy looks), and despite starting off a little stiff it performed really well and was indeed a hell of a lot of fun. 

Just need a smart leather sling now to finish it off. 

IMG_20180225_171431323~2.jpg

My shooting buddy has just bought the Winchester equivalent for £160.  He is just having a problem rolling across the car bonnet and shouting "Go ahead punk, make my day" on sim pairs though  !

I'm not gonna lie, loading it and pumping the action does tickle my inner LA Noire detective. (Oo-err)

I need a selection of cigars, a cheap shirt and a trilby immediately.

Or a pick up, checked shirt, banjo, dungarees and a confederate flag!

Pumps are great, currently on the look out for a mossberg 500 in stainless

Or a pick up, checked shirt, banjo, dungarees and a confederate flag!

Pumps are great, currently on the look out for a mossberg 500 in stainless
Apparently, if you used one a lot, it could have an effect on your eyesight   !    ;)

I'm fat, have a predilection for plaid shirts, drive a V8, own a pump action shotgun, do rather like a burger and am married to an American. 

There's no hope for me. 

I'm fat, have a predilection for plaid shirts, drive a V8, own a pump action shotgun, do rather like a burger and am married to an American. 

There's no hope for me. 
:lol:  the vision in my head !

Homer Simpson does Deliverance...

Married to an American? If I had chance of a green card I’d be out of UK like pooh out of a goose!

That's me in a nutshell.  :cool:

It's sadly pretty tricky to get a green card, even when married. Still need a sponsor to demonstrate they can support you. They have really cracked down on it the last few years.

Plus naf all holiday if you work (no legal minimum). And health care you have to pay through the nose for. 

Although, cheap land, big houses and lots of public hunting land, lower taxes.

It's good for visiting. Not so sure about the living... Wouldn't mind giving it a crack for a few years. 

I'm also planning a hunting/fishing cabin in Maine. That's a more realistic dream. 

Sounds brilliant!  Could you work for yourself? Control your holiday that way..

Never been to Maine but I’ve hunted in Vermont, upstate Michigan, Quebec, Ontario .. I see where you are coming from!

I could. But not sure what as. Over here I'm a civil engineer, but in the states 'engineer' is a protected title so you have to site exams to practice. Not a problem per se, but the qualifications I have over here dont really count so they won't even let me in the exam room.... So I have the option of going back to school while working as fairly lowly paid wench or trying something else. Contractor is a possibility, but that's long periods away from home.

I really have no strong pull to try anything else. I really enjoy my job over here and it's pretty well paid. 

Although I'm fairly young (31) so a complete career change isn't out the question, I just have no idea what as.

Land in northern ME away from shore goes for about $900 / acre. 

Maybe pick up a bargain:

https://m.landwatch.com/maine/kennebec-county/land-for-sale/?id=25076897

I reckon I could get a seasonal cabin up and kitted out for $60k. 

I've hunted in NH and ME, it's something else. 

Wow, quite a spread on land cost... What a great thing to have your own shooting lodge, any chance you can find a job where you spend a few months there per year?

You can pick up 10-20 acres for about $20k. Still far less than a house here, even with build cost. Currently the plan is to set something up with my BiL who lives in NH sober can get the lodge set up for holidays and rent it out for long holiday lets. 

I could, not sure how it would work visa wise. and with a young kid, it's not fair to keep uprooting him every few months. 

Latest posts

Back