Cartridge packaging .

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garwood

Is there a reason for manufacturers packing cartridges in 25 boxes?

Rottweil used to do 200 cartons,which seemed far less wastage of packaging.Most of us will scrap a good number of perfectly good cartons per week  I guess.

Some French cartridges come in simple plastic 25 wrappers which are adequate.

Seems daft to be buying slabs of little boxes to tip into bags etc...

Is there a reason for manufacturers packing cartridges in 25 boxes?

Rottweil used to do 200 cartons,which seemed far less wastage of packaging.Most of us will scrap a good number of perfectly good cartons per week  I guess.

Some French cartridges come in simple plastic 25 wrappers which are adequate.

Seems daft to be buying slabs of little boxes to tip into bags etc...
I assume the cardboard gets recycled though?  I tend to keep the little boxes intact until the cartridges go into my pockets as I may be using more than one type at a time, especially when game shooting.

i would much rather they were cardboard packed than plastic... there is ready way too much plastic around.

I’m a bit of a recycle nut. I take all my cartridge boxes home and recycle. Makes me twitch when people chuck them in the bins at shoots.

High time clay shells came in 100 per pack at the very least. 

Yep,always recycle my own but it seems a waste of packaging to me!

As Hamster suggests,100 would be ok,250 would be good too!

The people who buy in bulk tend to use in bulk too,surely?

At most ranges here, we have bins for cardboard packing, bins for empty cartridges and bins for bog standard waste. 

That said, I like the 25, helps me keep track of how far we are into the shoot. Keeping mine on the station and fill up every time I pass with 5 new shells. If I look at the scoreboard I get confused (you have a name for the scoreboard for OT, just can't remember what you call it in English). 

Lars

In the same vein but off at an angle so to speak - there was a time when the carts themselves were cardboard cased rather than plastic, nowadays that seems to make a lot more sense - I've only been shooting for 10 years so don't know - what were the cardboard versions like to shoot - was there any difference at all? 

Just the same really,just a pain if they got wet and swollen.

Some would say they were smoother to shoot load for load but can`t say I ever noticed much difference.

PP, How many more times do I have to say 'Steel is for barrels, not shot .' If you can afford Game shooting you can afford a few Bismuth or Tungsten cartridges.

I would love to see a return to paper case cartridges for all Game shooting plus fibre wad .

Plastics for Clays and then throw them in the bin please.  :D

PP, How many more times do I have to say 'Steel is for barrels, not shot .' If you can afford Game shooting you can afford a few Bismuth or Tungsten cartridges.

I would love to see a return to paper case cartridges for all Game shooting plus fibre wad .

Plastics for Clays and then throw them in the bin please.  :D
I agree, only used steel for skeet, tungsten is a bit pricey for that!

All cartridges should be fibre only whether clay or game, the only paper cartridges I have used are Eley Impax and I wasn’t impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are still plenty of local shoots , pub shoots , that sort of thing where they put  50 birds on . I potter around a few of these and there are still plenty of people who buy 2x25  at the caravan to do the shoot . I know this as I’m a kind person who always gives them a cartridge when they have to retake a pair :angel:   . The 25 box is perfect . I carry a nice  magazine bag thing :smile:   that was a freeby at the 1998 ? Embassy Worlds .   It holds 5x 25 boxes and is a dead easy way to carry enough cartridges and mix and match shot size if thats your thing ., From a manufacturers point of view the 250 slab is no doubt the optimum size between packing costs and the average bloke’s lifting capability, plus as everyone has already stated , cardboard has the potential to be recycled .  Long live the 25 box !!

Ps I agree with all those who have said all wads should be fibre , or truely biodegradable plastic is fast becoming a curse . 

The basic reasons the packaging is the way it is a outer box holding 250 cartridges and inner cartons of 25 is two fold,
one to comply with the commercial transport of dangerous goods to ensure 1.4S classification, any other classification would cause significant transport issues and extra transport costs.

The other reason is the packaging of the cartons is done by automatic machines and they are designed around the carton principle, the big players using the current generation of loading machines make 15,000 cartridges per hour or a carton of 25 cartridges every 6 seconds so stuffing them in the cartons by hand would not be practical when manufacturing with such fast machines.

I have bought lots of Tim Woodhouse custom loaded (by Eley) small gauge shells and they were delivered loose in boxes of 250. Seemed sensible to me.....

Have not spoken with Tim for sometime now his knowledge on ballistics and small gauge stuff was very useful, sadly he has stoped writing for the magazines and discontinued his .410 book which we used to sell for him. He was a passionate defender for lead shot. 

The packaging regulations for dangerous goods is very arduous for class 1 (explosives) the packaging must pass several tests e.g. Drop tests, which must pass without spilling its contents for classification 1.4s. the inner cartons help with that but it's not mandatory to have the inner cartons. But the cartons offer great marketing opportunity.

Eley used to do a 12ga pigeon cartridge in a camo outer box with a handle and the 200 cartridges were lose in that.

Have not spoken with Tim for sometime now his knowledge on ballistics and small gauge stuff was very useful, sadly he has stoped writing for the magazines and discontinued his .410 book which we used to sell for him. He was a passionate defender for lead shot. 

The packaging regulations for dangerous goods is very arduous for class 1 (explosives) the packaging must pass several tests e.g. Drop tests, which must pass without spilling its contents for classification 1.4s. the inner cartons help with that but it's not mandatory to have the inner cartons. But the cartons offer great marketing opportunity.

Eley used to do a 12ga pigeon cartridge in a camo outer box with a handle and the 200 cartridges were lose in that.
Thankyou,I thought there was perhaps a regulatory element to the packaging and you have clarified that for me !

Plus paper can’t handle the pressures of steel or some of the big loads
Is that fact or supposition not being rude here just interested in the facts?  There are still plenty of paper cartridges fired down here and they are very expensive too only the top shooters use them... the empties smell great :lol:

http://maryarm.com/project/sport_calibre-12/

the Imperia range have a cardboard sleeve Bernizan also make paper sleeved cartridges for hunting and clay targets.

Is that fact or supposition not being rude here just interested in the facts?  There are still plenty of paper cartridges fired down here and they are very expensive too only the top shooters use them... the empties smell great :lol:

http://maryarm.com/project/sport_calibre-12/

the Imperia range have a cardboard sleeve Bernizan also make paper sleeved cartridges for hunting and clay targets.
Supposition, I’d be surprised if they could cope with pressure of steel

The basic reasons the packaging is the way it is a outer box holding 250 cartridges and inner cartons of 25 is two fold,
one to comply with the commercial transport of dangerous goods to ensure 1.4S classification, any other classification would cause significant transport issues and extra transport costs.
Really? Would very much like to see in the ADR convention, where that number is specified. Boxing of dangerous goods has nothing to do with the classification (by the way 1.4s is a definition, the correct classification of the cartridges would be UN 0012 according to to the convention). That you can se in part 2 of the ADR convention. Then go to part 3 look up the number 0012,ther it will tell you where to look in part 4 for requirements to inner and outer packaging. 

25/250 makes sense that many clay games are shot with targets of 25 or any number thereof (higher), machines at the factory can probably do what ever the producers want. 

Lars

By the way the ADR convention is more than 1500 pages :wacko:

Back