Steel question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markvulture

I am aware this is a subject a bit done to death, but as time passes more people try them and more manufacturers bring out new products! So my question is, I use 24g loads in 7.5 and 9s, for sporting, trap and sleet respectively. Are there any steel alternatives that people use with the same performance?

I am aware this is a subject a bit done to death, but as time passes more people try them and more manufacturers bring out new products! So my question is, I use 24g loads in 7.5 and 9s, for sporting, trap and sleet respectively. Are there any steel alternatives that people use with the same performance?
The manufacturers may develop new products but the same issues remain simply because of the characteristics of steel over lead.

The only discipline steel is a possibility for is skeet by virtue of the distance the targets are shot at. For sporting it’s a significant ricochet risk (especially in a woodland setting) and for trap it’s far inferior to lead.

So, in answer to your question, it’s a non starter. A small minority of competitive skeet shooters use it, but as it’s forbidden at many grounds, not too many of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.  Next question......

I’ve used 24g supersteel and white gold steel.  As mentioned they certainly work for skeet HOWEVER the recoil is noticable

Latest posts

Back