Side by side for £250?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMonk

New Rangers job and I have been given a budget of £250 to buy a shotgun.   

Working for a charity so have to by something that will last.  

The only requirement is it must safely fire Lyalvale Express max Game LST36SG cartridges through both barrels.  Ejectors don’t matter.  Double trigger fine.  I am 6ft 2.  

I think chokes less than 1/2 are ok   

3/4 and full too tight (please correct me if I am wrong).  Need a workhorse that will last.  

Any advice much appreciated     

Any AYA Boxlocks all day long.  Yeoman. No3. No4 if your lucky to find one at 250. Maybe even a Matadore There's loads about for sale in all barrel lengths etc.

I would not want to be shooting any Express max game shells of 36 grammes through a side by side!

36g surely way too heavy a load for a sxs especially an older gun  - from my standpoint I would decide what you need to shoot and march a capable gun 

You may pick up an AYA No 3 Magnum for a little over your budget.Look for other Spanish 3" guns such as Zabala,Ugartechea etc.

As others have said tho`,you wouldn`t want to fire too many modern 36gm cartridges through them at any one time imho.

..a quick search brings up things like a Kestrel magnum,weighing 7lb 7oz for £195,in tidy order....

Last edited by a moderator:
Mossberg 500 pump .  3 shot of course . Tough as nails , you might even be lucky enough to find an old one with a Polychoke then you have a very versatile thing , just twist the end of the barrel like a garden hose ! It Will fire very heavy loads. Will handle SG all day long. You can carry it on a sling , knock fence posts in with it if you need to :smile:  I’ve put a Hoague synthetic stock on mine .  You would pick a nice used one up well inside your budget . 

New Rangers job and I have been given a budget of £250 to buy a shotgun.   

Working for a charity so have to by something that will last.  

The only requirement is it must safely fire Lyalvale Express max Game LST36SG cartridges through both barrels.  Ejectors don’t matter.  Double trigger fine.  I am 6ft 2.  

I think chokes less than 1/2 are ok   

3/4 and full too tight (please correct me if I am wrong).  Need a workhorse that will last.  

Any advice much appreciated     
Pick up and Aya No3 or similar for 150, use the 100 for a decent recoil pad and a mouth guard...

I occasionally put 35g no5 through my Aya sidelocks (although they are modern and fitted to me) and for the low amount of shots is use then they are fine although they do both have recoil pads fitted.

I would not want to be shooting any Express max game shells of 36 grammes through a side by side!
What would you recommend?   Wouldn’t be shooting loads.  Just the occasional Buck that is too dangerous to approach with humane dispatch.  

36g surely way too heavy a load for a sxs especially an older gun  - from my standpoint I would decide what you need to shoot and march a capable gun 
I have to shoot that cartridge.   Could you match a gun too it?   Around the budget.   It is occasional use,  but I want to make sure it is safe.  

Mossberg 500 pump .  3 shot of course . Tough as nails , you might even be lucky enough to find an old one with a Polychoke then you have a very versatile thing , just twist the end of the barrel like a garden hose ! It Will fire very heavy loads. Will handle SG all day long. You can carry it on a sling , knock fence posts in with it if you need to :smile:  I’ve put a Hoague synthetic stock on mine .  You would pick a nice used one up well inside your budget . 
Thanks.  Hadn’t consider a semi auto.  Will have a look what is available. 

You may pick up an AYA No 3 Magnum for a little over your budget.Look for other Spanish 3" guns such as Zabala,Ugartechea etc.

As others have said tho`,you wouldn`t want to fire too many modern 36gm cartridges through them at any one time imho.

..a quick search brings up things like a Kestrel magnum,weighing 7lb 7oz for £195,in tidy order....
Thank you.   What does “magnum” add? Steel shot proof?  

Magnum just means it will take a 70mm cartridge.  Don’t put HP steel through an old gun unless you don’t like it, your fingers and those stood near you.. 

What would you recommend?   Wouldn’t be shooting loads.  Just the occasional Buck that is too dangerous to approach with humane dispatch.  

I have to shoot that cartridge.   Could you match a gun too it?   Around the budget.   It is occasional use,  but I want to make sure it is safe.  

Thanks.  Hadn’t consider a semi auto.  Will have a look what is available. 

Thank you.   What does “magnum” add? Steel shot proof?  
Generally 3" magnums are built slightly heavier which would help nullify the heavier cartridges that you want to use .

If you`re only firing occasional cartridges,anything with a suitable chamber length would suffice ,I would say.

Going back to your original post 

- workhorse

- something that will last

- £250 buget

- for use with heavy loads

doesnt shout sxs - more semi automatic -or old heavy o/u from a solid manufacturer - with the best will in the world those criteria limit your options 

reminds me of the old adage - high quality - low cost - fast service (choose any 2) 

Beretta 301/302 with the 'drop in' chokes would be a far more versatile tool. It can be shot without any choke at all, or chokes can be dropped back in to suit the occasion. It would  be kinder on the body when shooting too  ! 

I shoot 36 and even 42g cartridges through my zabala sporting magnum when I use it on a hare shoot. Its a bit kicky but as you say your not shooting many of them.

Thanks for all the advice.  I think I will chip in some money and find a Beretta 302 or 303.  

Because it is grade 5.  And it is mine.  Nice to get a work gun.  The new one will be lugged about all over the forest and thrown in the back of a truck.   And it means I can have one at home and one at work.  
Good plan, what range are you dispatching deer at? If it’s close range then 410 might be a good bet, although if you want a gun for more than just dispatch 410 isn’t a great choice..

Latest posts

Back