Shops in London Kensington

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsJ

Hello .

As the title says, are there any shops worthwhile to visit in that area (shooting related of course).

I have to attend an Expo in Olympia 6-7 March and will probably be staying at the Hilton in Kensington. I don't have loads of time (work related during the day and networking in the evenings) So i might have some Hours on arrival the 4th, and then before departure the 7th, so that is why I ask for recommendations. I'm not looking for getting a gun or anything that goes banf (way to many permits that need to be filled out to import/export). So it's more in like of kit that is clay-shooting related.

Not that I need any as such, but I do keep in touch with my feminine side by buying stuff I don't need :angel: .  

Lars

Lots of outdoor shops on High Street Kensington (Snow+Rock, Ellis Brigham etc).  The Churchill pub on Kensington Church Street (towards hte Notting Hill Gate end) does fantastic Thai food if you like stuff spicy.

Shooting related things you need to head towards St James's rather than Kensington.  Beretta, William Evans and Farlows are all in that area.  The Purdey shop isn't far away either:

image.png

Lots of outdoor shops on High Street Kensington (Snow+Rock, Ellis Brigham etc).  The Churchill pub on Kensington Church Street (towards hte Notting Hill Gate end) does fantastic Thai food if you like stuff spicy.

Shooting related things you need to head towards St James's rather than Kensington.  Beretta, William Evans and Farlows are all in that area.  The Purdey shop isn't far away either:

View attachment 7035
Now long gone but a wine bar at the start of Church Street in 78 is where I learned one and a half bottles of red don't stay put for long.  :lol:  You are of course right about where to head for the shooting related shops but I fear the prices are going to be bordering on silly, also driving and expecting to park close by is out of the question so use the tube I'd say but then you'd need to take a gun just in case.  :lol:

Would love to have a look at the Purdey and Holland  shop. At least from the outside. very doubtful I can afford anything on the inside (but I really appreciate the craftsmanship) So a grease stain from my nose on the window is all it can become to.

Driving is not an issue, arriving at airport. So either the tube (now where did I put my Oister Card?), or a good walk (which I don't mind, especially with all the sitting and eating during the day). I'm fairly apt getting around/knowing London, I think it's the high 20th time I visit (I used to have family there, but that was before i started shooting shotgun)

Lars

Now long gone but a wine bar at the start of Church Street in 78 is where I learned one and a half bottles of red don't stay put for long.  :lol:  You are of course right about where to head for the shooting related shops but I fear the prices are going to be bordering on silly, also driving and expecting to park close by is out of the question so use the tube I'd say but then you'd need to take a gun just in case.  :lol:
I worked in the tower on the corner of Notting Hill Gate and Kensington Church Street for around 8 years from 1998.  Loved it.  Lots of nice pubs and good places to eat, some really quirky shops and Portobello Road not far to walk to.

I'm right next to Waterloo Station now.  Great for transport, but otherwise not a brilliant place for lunchtime wanders or after work drinks.  Only saving grace is it takes 10 minutes to walk across the River to the Strand and Covent Garden and it is a lovely walk along the Thames to London Bridge (passing the Southbank Centre, Oxo Tower, wobbly bridge, Globe and Tate Modern).  London Bridge area is great these days.  Good range of pubs and Borough Market as well.

I worked in the tower on the corner of Notting Hill Gate and Kensington Church Street for around 8 years from 1998.  Loved it.  Lots of nice pubs and good places to eat, some really quirky shops and Portobello Road not far to walk to.

I'm right next to Waterloo Station now.  Great for transport, but otherwise not a brilliant place for lunchtime wanders or after work drinks.  Only saving grace is it takes 10 minutes to walk across the River to the Strand and Covent Garden and it is a lovely walk along the Thames to London Bridge (passing the Southbank Centre, Oxo Tower, wobbly bridge, Globe and Tate Modern).  London Bridge area is great these days.  Good range of pubs and Borough Market as well.
People speak negatively about London but traffic aside there are some amazing parks and places there and for me some of the best restaurants, coffee shops and eateries too. 

People speak negatively about London but traffic aside there are some amazing parks and places there and for me some of the best restaurants, coffee shops and eateries too. 
I'm a Londoner born and bred.  Moved out 11 years ago, but still love the place for lots of reasons.

London's great. I left to work abroad for a few years when I was about 27 & newly married. We couldn't afford to buy a house in London when we came back, but 2 of my sons have lived in London and 1 still does. 'Er indoors and I get back up there several times a year.

Nowhere else has the buzz of London...

London's great. I left to work abroad for a few years when I was about 27 & newly married. We couldn't afford to buy a house in London when we came back, but 2 of my sons have lived in London and 1 still does. 'Er indoors and I get back up there several times a year.

Nowhere else has the buzz of London...
agree  London  is great  I run a couple of bus trips a year from work ,  just day trips  but  we really enjoy  so much to do ! 

I lived there for four years, that was enough for me.  Love going back but 3 days in the city per week is just right, more or less than that and I get fed up!

Last edited by a moderator:
After living my whole life in a couple of rural villages, London is like another country to me and I absolutely detest it. One day visit every ten years is more than enough.

After living my whole life in a couple of rural villages, London is like another country to me and I absolutely detest it. One day visit every ten years is more than enough.
Wear a baseball cap and don't tell them you're going.  :lol: :lol:

I can do Suffolk but London seems to start at the Essex border.
Hey!  Very rural here .. you are obviously on the wrong part...  I would say going south, that London starts at Chelmsford.. ignoring Colchester which a bit of a challenge in its own right..

William Evans is Ok - for Beretta people their store on St James is well worth visiting - Purdey is nicely arranged and worth visiting  not least for the stuff other than clothes and guns - H&H was similar but has recently had a high fashion make-over and now has a shooting capsule lodged in a very very odd series of rooms - Farlows is lower end but well stocked especially for fishing gear - Ray Ward and William & son both have a few high end guns and lots of top end clothing and other stuff inc gear for your goshawk etc

Funnily enough I had a quick ‘tour’ around today as someone has ‘borrowed’ my motor case and I’m off to Majorca next week.

William Evans is the pick of the bunch to me unless you are a Beretta nut (customer service in Beretta is terrible) Farlows is great but fishing stuff mostly as FT says, the Orvis shop round the corner is good for fishing stuff too if that’s your thing.. Purdey and HH just eye wateringly expensive.

I live in the country but work a 5-10 minute walk from Beretta, H&H, Purdey and a few others.  There's also a nice Rolls Royce shop if that's your cup of tea

Latest posts

Back