Sign in to follow this  
Hamster

Velocity + 8's

Will Hewland
3 minutes ago, Hamster said:

No doubt there is something behind the assumption that bigger pellets pattern tighter but personally I don't think within the context of what we use, namely 7.5's and 8's it matters much. I mean even if they did throw say 5% tighter (on average) from brand to brand, the fact remains that you have 45-50 extra pellets in a load of 2.2mm 8's so logic says any variance in density would easily be negated by the greater pellet count. The way I look at it is that I personally wouldn't want to bet on spotting the difference between the breaks on all but the longest of clays where kinetic energy may just prove a decider.

That’s the thing.. fewer pellets hitting harder versus more pellets hitting a bit more lightly, but always hard enough on clays I’ve seen.

• Thanks 1

Jonny English
Posted (edited)

I have picked up some 6.5 sovereign parcours plas wad for some fitasc at Grimsthorpe and the Essex masters etc, that odd target a little out the ordinary.

Boy oh boy do they pattern tight. Where the velocity 8's were printing 30 to 32" at 30 yards, the 6.5 sovereign parcours printed 24" with the same choke at 30 yards, that worked out at between 6 and 8 inches tighter in diameter at 30 yards!

Edited by Jonny English
  • Thanks 1

Will Hewland

Shot these at AGL today. Very pleased with the modest recoil and great breaks. Haven’t had a chance to pattern them (but can’t believe they will do anything other than expected). Very likely my new cartridge of choice, as feel pretty much like an EVO for a lot less £.

• Thanks 1

Blackstar Ninja
3 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Shot these at AGL today. Very pleased with the modest recoil and great breaks. Haven’t had a chance to pattern them (but can’t believe they will do anything other than expected). Very likely my new cartridge of choice, as feel pretty much like an EVO for a lot less £.

Was that the size 8s or the 26g loads Will?

Will Hewland
14 minutes ago, Blackstar Ninja said:

Was that the size 8s or the 26g loads Will?

The 28g 8 plas. 

I’m told.. the 26g things may become a constant supply.. haven’t tried those.  

Will Hewland

OK geeks.. So I patterned a 28g plas 8 Velocity just now. It’s rather dense in the centre and a bit uneven on outer pattern, which is acceptable but slightly disappointing. Explains why I got some amazing kills when dead on yesterday. I’ll still use them. 

Photo shows comparison with EVO, showing that the extra £25/1000 affords slightly less recoil and a more even pattern. 

E4E59686-8BA9-4BAC-82E3-BF4AB19050FC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

salop sniper

I was at a ground on Saturday and was surprised to here they aren`t selling Evo`s so well. Shame as its my proffered cartridge and am very happy. 

Shot my PB last night night at my local (WMSG) 50 bird sporter, 40/50 and I dropped some silly ones but was pleased with the end result for second outing of 2018.

PP
47 minutes ago, salop sniper said:

I was at a ground on Saturday and was surprised to here they aren`t selling Evo`s so well. Shame as its my proffered cartridge and am very happy. 

Shot my PB last night night at my local (WMSG) 50 bird sporter, 40/50 and I dropped some silly ones but was pleased with the end result for second outing of 2018.

Oh no. I hope they don’t stop Evo.. I can’t go through another cartridge finding mission...

Will Hewland
18 minutes ago, PP said:

Oh no. I hope they don’t stop Evo.. I can’t go through another cartridge finding mission...

Me too. having done a couple of shoots with the Velocity 8, I’m now convinced that the EVO is worth the extra money..

PP
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

Me too. having done a couple of shoots with the Velocity 8, I’m now convinced that the EVO is worth the extra money..

Excellent, thanks one less thing to worry about.. I can live with 209 per thou of 24gr no8 in fibre..

• Thanks 1

Geordieboy
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Will Hewland said:

I always find 7.5s seem to dust going aways better than 8s. They just pattern a bit tighter and you get a bit more lead into the clay I think. But on a full range of clays I think 8s are a better bet overall albeit maybe not as “crushing” on some kills.

I watched a lad shoot ABT and he shot a 20/25 into the sun, using 8's first barrel.  Thing was the clays were orange and I seen him hit another 2 first barrel that didn't break.  The Orange puff on the clay highlighted most clearly against the sun.  5% Antimony shotshells.  7's didn't do that, they just broke. 

I use 8's for 90% of my Sporting targets.....but long rabbits and long trap birds always get a 7!!  Horses for courses