Gloves for OL trap

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsJ

So I had the first practice of the season this weekend. Temperatures were freezing (-3 in Celsius money), a bit windy. The result was I was freezing my fingers while doing the 25. Roughly it went like this. 

First round

1. Arriving at the peg "Jeeebus it's cold today.

2. After 5 shots "this isn't to bad"

3. After 10 shots " on the other hand, this is bad"

4 after 15 shots " just let us hurry up and get this over with, not pleasant any more. :brr:

All the above is the hands I have in mind, I wasn't freezing else where (apart from the nose dripping, but as soon as we are under 10 Celcius it just goes in to that mode)

So in order to fight this, what do you recommend to wear. I know some people wear golf gloves (aren't they to thin?), but is there a viable alternative for very cold days?

There is no time to put the mittens on and of while on the line (at least I don't see it happening, fiddling with that). I'm interested to see if there is a holy grail out there somewhere. (I'm thinking in the line of golf winter gloves). or should I just embrace my Viking heritage and suck it up?

PS  I looked what the other 4 shooters had on, and they were just as miserable as I was..... and no wonder not more turned up for practice..

Lars

Not the winter gloves, but I used to shoot with their summer ones for 2 years that were second to none - as all of their equipment.

I would say use thin gloves that are just enough to keep them warm for 25 and then some thicker ones in between,with thicker gloves you will lose any sense of feel.

I have some Castellani summer gloves that are just about right for short term protection but plenty of feel.

I would say use thin gloves that are just enough to keep them warm for 25 and then some thicker ones in between,with thicker gloves you will lose any sense of feel.

I have some Castellani summer gloves that are just about right for short term protection but plenty of feel.
I will agree to that (that is the holy grail isn't it?  :smile:  thin enough so I don't loose the feel, but warm enough so not to freeze). I have plenty of equipment for arctic conditions, so its not the in between I'm worried about (have some lovely mittens), And if all else fails in between rounds, there is always the old solution for a game of pocket tennis.

I'll give some golf gloves a go (to protect from the cold metal at least).

Lars

I'll second the golf gloves.  I use them year round and have some cold weather kind for the bad days.  Nothing like your bad days for sure but like was said, for 25 targets ..............

Gotta tell ya how happy I am to not be that desperate to shoot hahahaha

Macwets for me, I have the 'Winter' variety with the long wrist cuffs for cold weather. I also have a pair of Winter Golf Gloves, they have a fleece back and a thin all weather material on the palms. I now ALWAYS use gloves, Summer or Winter. In Summer I find they grip the gun better and then wearing Winter gloves is not so 'strange' in feel and is easier to adapt to. I have found wearing gloves keeps my gun cleaner too, no sweat in the chequering or sweaty finger marks on the metal. I avoid the 'fold back' variety, I find them a pain, catching on everything in sight. 

Macwets for me, I have the 'Winter' variety with the long wrist cuffs for cold weather. I also have a pair of Winter Golf Gloves, they have a fleece back and a thin all weather material on the palms. I now ALWAYS use gloves, Summer or Winter. In Summer I find they grip the gun better and then wearing Winter gloves is not so 'strange' in feel and is easier to adapt to. I have found wearing gloves keeps my gun cleaner too, no sweat in the chequering or sweaty finger marks on the metal. I avoid the 'fold back' variety, I find them a pain, catching on everything in sight. 
ya i started wearing the macwets all the time aswell they are fairly light and dont get in the way and less salty sweat on the gun to rust it . find them good . i might get the short cuff ones for warmer days. 

ya i started wearing the macwets all the time aswell they are fairly light and dont get in the way and less salty sweat on the gun to rust it . find them good . i might get the short cuff ones for warmer days. 
Have a look on fleabay for golf gloves by MW, I paid £17 for the mesh back variety, EXACTLY the same as their 'shooting' gloves  !

Off topic - speaking of sweaty palms - I got myself a pair of summer gloves just for that, although I hated it - and dropped them once I discovered Prince Grip Enhancer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-PrinceGrip-Plus-Grip-Enhancer/dp/B000VI00RY

It works as described - Non-sticky or tacky. Quick drying. Improves grip in seconds. If sweat bothers you give it a try - it does leave a thin white-ish film on your hands bot it dissolves completely later on.

Nowadays I don't even bother and just shoot. and in the winter - if it is too cold to shoot barehanded, it is too cold to shoot.

Back