You can do it. Have confidence

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack 1

Now then as a Jurassic handgunner I well remember the days of taking a Smith and Wesson 686 revolver apart for trigger improvements and the like. Now it is a project working on a Beretta 682 Super Sport. First problem How to fit the metal work on a forend never done that before,no probs job done. Then, the real test fitting a flat based  butt pad on curved butt face. The thought of cutting stock scares the bejabbers out of me plus it is curved. What to do? Simple really, the Limb Saver pad is plastic based so out with the (very) small gas gun and apply heat to the base and move and shape as required (convex of course the stock curve is concave). After several 'heating's' the correct curve was achieved and the butt pad applied. However,the curve in the pad meant the screw holes were now not aligned and pilot holes had to be filled so, out with the Black and Decker, 12mm dowel and the stock in the padded  'Workmate' for new holes   then the sanding  the pad with the gaffer tape protection and the flat sander, no way an orbital type. Problem, the pad was like its owner getting on a touch and a little worn. What to do, the answer? Cherry Blossom black shoe polish. Can you still get that? Well I did mention age. Polish applied and buffed. plus stock conditioning oil and the whole job done. An as new refurbished gold lettered 686 Super Sport.

Finally all done after 2.5 hours and how much saved? What would gun smith want to fit the forend metal work and fit the pad to a curved stock. Dunno but, the joy of seeing the results of thought and application, Plus of course the long suffering significant other with tea and sarnies from  house to garage........yup you can do it, have confidence. Off to the club tomorrow for a swift 50 and bore the pants off whoever may be unlucky enough to be there.....Have a good week, I will

Stripped my MK’s of its lacquer finish and starting to build up an oily one, isis green pad was getting dirty so was blacked out…one week into it, some way to go…

20180127_141931.jpg

Oiled, waxed, polished...finished.

View attachment 7064
Yes but totally different to my point which was reforming  a straight edged butt pad to the convex  to fit a concave butt end,  Not much comparison to yours which may actually easier to achieve, Doesn't look too bad though

Freeshot , only part way there,  keep at it , wax on, wax off , at least twenty more days to go.

Thank you Salopian - I will follow your lead...how should I time it? By now I am applying wax once/day, leave it for 15 mins and the polish (I am using CCL wax).

A very old stockmakers saying , 'Once a day for a week , once a week for a month , once a month for the rest of your life'

Personally I never use Wax , always oil with driers , apply a drop of oil about the size of finger nail onto one side of the stock and rub well in using warmth from hand friction until oil has rubbed well in , then do the other side . Finally after doing both sides (about 40 minutes ) remove all residual oil with paper tissue , buff up by hand again then leave in a warm room for 24 hours , repeat for at least two weeks.

Wax will be waterproof , but you will struggle to get 'an in the wood' lustre that oil will give you.

Never gone near my stock with anything!

Graded or glossy wood does nowt for me. 

My stock is plain, and thats the way i want to keep it

Now engraving and machining, thats a different matter

:santa:

Beyond the looks it is the feel of oiled stock that makes it worth for me. Looking back - it takes a lot of commitment to pull it through and any improvement is measured in weeks or even months...Without this post and Salopian I'd call it a day last week, however - one week later it looks much better already.

My Grandmother had a Bureau, Dining Table, Sideboard  and a Piano , that had a polishing with beeswax most days , after 60 years they looked brilliant . :D :D :D

Least with an oiled stock any small dents can be pulled out using a hot iron and brown paper, did it a few times in the past works very will, comes up like new if you are lucky! Personally prefer varnished stock with a bit of good quality wax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back