Prize award quiz

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

This is not a trick question I would like experienced input to see if I'm going mad or not. Sporting shoot with an advertised HG prize of £120, also pays £70 - £40 for 1st and 2nd in A,B & C but only £40 for one place for AA. No problem with that as it's so advertised.  Two AA shooters each shoot 96 and another AA 95. How should the monies be split under the following scenarios:1) The 96 shooters are not present for a shoot off but the 95 is, is he entitled to the £40?2) The 96 shooters are present and obviously one wins the shoot off, what would the other get?3) Only one 96 stays till the end so obviously get the HG prize, what would the other get? Thanks /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

first of all can I ask why AA is to only have one pay out of £40  ? why is AA's pay out different to A,B,C ? Nige

1- add and divide, 120+40=160, /2= £80 each, 95 gets nowt.2- assuming they do shoot off (unless a major all 100 regs should add and divide) winner gets £120, loser £403- exactly as above If the ground has a shootoff policy. As I said before though, every ground I know would be add and divide.Hope that helps!

Sorry should have said it's non registered Open. That's a whole can of worms on itself Nige/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif, you'll hear many reasons depending on source but the gist of it is that some people reckon:AA should pay less as fewer populate that classAA should pay less to keep the pot hunters awayAA should pay less since they are more likely to win HG anyway and so should be punished /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gifAA should pay less to keep more money available for the masses, blah blah Keep em coming  please people.

as most know I'm a B class shooter and Ed can tell you a struggling one at that but I still think that all entry money should be pooled and split equally between all the classes, Everything in sporting and shooting should be on an equal footing, I'm not sayin this as I'm movin up to A next year it's infect the opposite but every one should have 100% equal rights irrespective of what class they are in, I have only one thing to say about that I do think that Some of the top shots have little to no respect for the lower classes when they set up their shoots and would claim that reg shoots are/should only be set up to test the potential team members ( I've saw this in writing )  If it weren't for the lower classes there wouldn't be as much money in the pot to share out into the higher classes.  Nige

The expense of doing well enough to win any class is more than you will pick up unless your that good you dont practice.Start thinking about the pride you have in yourself for winning your class,if you can afford to shoot regularaly is the poxy prize fund worth all this hot air.

As Ed says, all registered shoots which are not championships of any kind, should use 'add and divide'. The amount paid in each class is entirely up to the organiser but he would be foolish to upset his customers. The cost of entries must be displayed and this must show the amount of the entry which is put into the prize fund. At the time of last entries the number of entries must be displayed together with the amount of prize money and its distribution between the respective classes. This is straight out of the general rule book and all grounds holding registered shoots on behalf of the CPSA agree this when they apply for registered status......... now what happens in the real world is a totally different matter and I'm sure everyone has a story of some kind to tell. So called 'open' shoots have no rules and no requirements, you are totally at the mercy of the organisers and they can do exactly as they see fit with the prize money. For example, if they advertise '£75 High Gun' then this may well be the only prize, you are on your own I'm afraid. Personally speaking, prize money has a limited appeal to the majority of B and C class shooters who are in the sport for the fun of it and a cash win is a bonus. The higher classes attach more importance to it as they consider their chances of winning something are greater. No-one makes a living out of shooting clays, apart from a couple of notable individuals, hardly any break even and for the rest its an expensive hobby.

Hello Ian and Welcome to Shoot Clay,  I hope you enjoy it here a lot more than the other place as there is no dictatorship here, I hope you join in on the topics we have and I have to say I totally agree with the last paragraph of your post above - I'm not sayin I disagree with any of the rest of it as it's something that I'm not involved in but the last bit is very true.Nigel

Nigel said:

as most know I'm a B class shooter and Ed can tell you a struggling one at that but I still think that all entry money should be pooled and split equally between all the classes, Everything in sporting and shooting should be on an equal footing, I'm not sayin this as I'm movin up to A next year it's infect the opposite but every one should have 100% equal rights irrespective of what class they are in, I have only one thing to say about that I do think that Some of the top shots have little to no respect for the lower classes when they set up their shoots and would claim that reg shoots are/should only be set up to test the potential team members ( I've saw this in writing )  If it weren't for the lower classes there wouldn't be as much money in the pot to share out into the higher classes.  Nige
Another can of worms opened Nige and you love it you little tinker ..Well if that were the case I would organise a rebellion of all the "lower class shooters" and get them to shoot birds only. I hate this attitude of some of the elitist shooters "there are only a handful of us but we want what some of what you low lifes put in". I know it isnt right across the board but, their voice has been heard by many and if it happens there will no reason to shoot comps at all for A,B and C class shots. There is a bit of a problem with BICTSF at the moment where all disciplines are being asked to pool thier money and it be dished out equally among all BICTSF disciplines, you get what you put in. Dont dip into what isnt rightfully yours is my take on it.

Hi Wylye, In the example above and speaking from the point of view of a ground owner, how would YOU award the prizes? Do you believe the 95 has an entitlement? Would YOU add £120+£40 and devide by 2?

Outlaw said:

Another can of worms opened Nige and you love it you little tinker ..Well if that were the case I would organise a rebellion of all the "lower class shooters" and get them to shoot birds only. I hate this attitude of some of the elitist shooters "there are only a handful of us but we want what some of what you low lifes put in". I know it isnt right across the board but, their voice has been heard by many and if it happens there will no reason to shoot comps at all for A,B and C class shots. There is a bit of a problem with BICTSF at the moment where all disciplines are being asked to pool thier money and it be dished out equally among all BICTSF disciplines, you get what you put in. Dont dip into what isnt rightfully yours is my take on it.
I have to comment on the BICTSF part Tony!You can look at it from another angle though! We all know many shooters spend a lot of money trying to make the GB Teams and then at the end they still have costs after spending all that money trying to achieve their dream some even drop out after even making the Team because they simply cannot afford to go! Now here comes the thought I have had -If this new method means we can send all Teams away to compete and they have no money issues at all by their own then they can completely focus on just their shooting and if say UT raises or has X amount and say Fitasc Sporting has a smaller amount and you can combine the two and split it and that means we can send both teams away to shoot at no cost to the shooter then I am 100% for it!However it can be seen as unfair and any additional money raised by another discipline could have been saved and put back into that discipline the following year!The overall problem is that the Teams can't get enough funding it is becoming more like if you can afford to go you can be in the Team nowadays which is crap. (maybe you should start a seperate thread for this as this is about prize money?) Glen.

I`m all for as many threads as possible Glen but to be honest I simply asked a question in this one, a very specific example and had hoped for  quite a few responses. All the other inputs are welcome and valid but perhaps not related to this thread. What is your own take Glen, what`s been your experience as to how this is usually tackled?

Mostly add and divide but I have seen some funny ones! TBH Prize money to me is a joke the only place I would consider all an equal chance is in the Helice as even if you shoot crap you have a chance - Nicola would have to explain I think they do a lottery cut off and you can win some cash back!. Ok you pay big enteries but you get proper pay outs if you make the top 20. There is no birds only which is a waste of time in my opinion as if i shoot a registered shoot then this to me is competitive shooting so I am not interested in BO. I want the competitive feel and pressure in there! I have never ever shot BO in my life!I may have an ignorant view but I want to shoot my best and I want to win if i can and the moment i think that if i shoot to my best I can not get a result then there is no point me participating in clay shoots anymore!TBH Wylye hit the nail on the head you are never going to make a living at it, I guess if all grounds post before the event how the pay out is based then it is down to the shooter to make the decision.Shoot offs don't happen like the old days so add and divide is the best policy!It is laughable though when you shoot well and you come 2nd or third in AA and you get a tenner! That to me is a joke! They might as well not bother!Outlaw makes a valid point the lower classes make up the enteries so in theory they should be rewarded but then again if they were in AAA at the BO and realised what sh*t prize money they would win I think they would think again! Ok you can say I am a AAA shot so what your never going to really win that much money! Glen.

How did it work out at Steve's shoots in the end he was going to do the additional prize pot for those who wanted to do it? Anybody know how it went? Glen.

I think we all tend to forget that the AAA shooters didn't wake up one morning and get put into that class.They like us all had to do their apprenticeship, so they possibly paid into many pots without drawing out.Of course C, B, & A class will make up the majority of shooters, and I think it is right for a percentage of their entry fee to go towards the high gun prize. I am sure it is not too difficult to work out a suitable payback for everyone to compete and go home happy. Let's face it I think most of us compete for the challenge and camaraderie, very rarely I have broken even on a shoot day.

Hammy my dear friend, read and digest - if its an open shoot they can do what they like. End of.Personally speaking I would have given the 95 nothing, add and divide is the fairer way of doing this so the two with 96 would have shared. By the way, High Gun prizes are supposed to be excluded from the prize fund contributions. In other words, the organiser pays this from the takings. Interesting eh?

I'm with Glen on one part of this – I'm a LOOOONG way from winning anything, but I still never shoot Birds Only – my logic is that if I want these events to be busy and fun, then I should contribute to the prize pot.(and sod's law – one day I'll finish somewhere near the top and miss out on my retirement fund)Clearly – I'll never get rich from shooting – or running a shooting website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salopian said:

I think we all tend to forget that the AAA shooters didn't wake up one morning and get put into that class.They like us all had to do their apprenticeship, so they possibly paid into many pots without drawing out.Of course C, B, & A class will make up the majority of shooters, and I think it is right for a percentage of their entry fee to go towards the high gun prize./////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Absolutely spot on/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif, nobody has the right to deny the top guys the fruits of their labours. When you see mediocre shooters taking home more than guys who`ve shot miles better, there is something wrong. As you say they NEVER get there by chance or magic, they put in multiple entries and mid week shoots etc, etc, so to punish them once there is ludircous. Thanks to those who answered a straight question, I`m not going mad afterall. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif There are 2 prizes, £120 for HG and £40 for one place only in AA. You can`t award it to three people of unequal score………………..but it did happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back