Hello from Cornwall

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeeBee

My brother-in-law is an experienced clay pigeon shooter and I like to go with him occasionally to watch.  On a skeet shoot recently he handed me his beautiful Beretta 687 EELL and said have a go.  I was very reluctant with all the other shooters watching, but they were a great bunch and also encouraged me to have a go.  I was put on stand 7 and the gun was loaded for me.  To my astonishment I broke the low and the high singles and after the reload broke both of the pair.  So 4 out of 4 having never even held a 12 bore before let alone fire one.

Everyone said I should join the club but at 73, even though I’m fit and healthy, I thought it was coming to the sport a bit late!  I was persuaded otherwise so I’ve applied for my shotgun certificate which has a wait of around 3 months.  Buying a first shotgun seems to be a bit of a minefield so I’m going to try to shoot as many different guns at the club as the members will let me borrow and hopefully by the time I get my certificate I’ll have an idea which gun I should be looking to buy.

In the meantime I’ll be here on the forum learning as much as I can about it.  I’ve downloaded and printed all 175 pages of the CPSA Clay Pigeon Target Shooter’s Handbook which has lots of excellent advice and information for beginners and I’m looking forward very much to owning my own gun and enjoying my new hobby.

My brother-in-law is an experienced clay pigeon shooter and I like to go with him occasionally to watch.  On a skeet shoot recently he handed me his beautiful Beretta 687 EELL and said have a go.  I was very reluctant with all the other shooters watching, but they were a great bunch and also encouraged me to have a go.  I was put on stand 7 and the gun was loaded for me.  To my astonishment I broke the low and the high singles and after the reload broke both of the pair.  So 4 out of 4 having never even held a 12 bore before let alone fire one.

Everyone said I should join the club but at 73, even though I’m fit and healthy, I thought it was coming to the sport a bit late!  I was persuaded otherwise so I’ve applied for my shotgun certificate which has a wait of around 3 months.  Buying a first shotgun seems to be a bit of a minefield so I’m going to try to shoot as many different guns at the club as the members will let me borrow and hopefully by the time I get my certificate I’ll have an idea which gun I should be looking to buy.

In the meantime I’ll be here on the forum learning as much as I can about it.  I’ve downloaded and printed all 175 pages of the CPSA Clay Pigeon Target Shooter’s Handbook which has lots of excellent advice and information for beginners and I’m looking forward very much to owning my own gun and enjoying my new hobby.
Welcome and enjoy :)   It is  never too late.

Latest posts

Back