Training Courses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggle

Hello

Firstly many apologies if this sounds like a stupid question but what training courses are available in the UK for shotguns?

My background is target related (archery/field air rifle) and was coached from a young age by my family who gently guided me in the right direction then a series of military instructors who were less gentle but very knowledgeable and effective.

I completed a CPSA course and a Practical shotgun safety course prior to receiving my certificate and shoot clay's in Yorkshire but would like know what other training there is available .

So, has anyone done a Lantras / BASC course? -would be interested in taking my teenagers along so they didn't pick up any of my habits.

Thank you.

D.

I would have thought it best to go to your nearest PROPER shooting ground and discuss lessons there with a reputable instructor. I don't know the grounds up north, but I'm sure they exist..

All the training in the world for youngsters is useless if they don’t enjoy what they are doing . I  am also deeply sceptical of vocational courses like LANTRA . Their purpose is solely to cover an employers arse by showing due diligence to their  employees by offering training and certification . If you want your teenagers  to take to shooting and enjoy it , I agree with Will above , get them shooting lessons . Unless you are a talented coach ,getting someone else to do the training will be much less stressful for both you and the kids .  I don’t know where abouts you are shooting clays in Yorkshire ?  , it’s a big place ! But in terms of facilities that can match any where  in the UK Coniston and Park Lodge are up there with the best and could both get your teenagers sorted out . On the Yorkshire / Lancs border between Skipton and Colne is Kelbrook Lodge , a professional shooting school in lovely surroundings , that’s where I sent my boy when he was 15 , excellent instructors ,  get them  smiling first and leave the certification for later if at all :)  

Cheers, many thanks for your reply's.

I shoot at Monkton, Park lodge and Thimbleby.

Will have a look at Coniston.

Ask for Jim Kirkley if you go to Coniston, he does not spend ages talking like some instructors there.

Looks like you are already shooting at quality targets ! I’ll be heading to Park Lodge mid week to play on the high tower . With your teenagers in mind don’t rule out a trip to Kelbrook it’s not as intimidating for new shots as some places can be , it’s like being in the private gardens of a country estate !  Their  prices are lower than most , 28 pence for non members,  for under 16s the clays are half price I do believe   . Also a great place to pick up cartridges in bulk and a good selection of guns  .  You must try Coniston though for my money I rate it higher than the excellent Park Lodge as an entertaining place to shoot. You have some nice woods and rolling hills rather than the somewhat uninteresting flat expanse . Again with your kids in mind Coniston has a number of dedicated “ beginners “ stands . I’d make a day of it and do Coniston and Kelbrook , they are only a short drive apart .

Back