Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

jasper

Kegworth for us . Promatic challenge. 100 over 14 stands. Found myself seeking out shade, of which there is not much around there. Not usually fussed by heat but today I wilted  a little. Ran out of steam for the last few stands to scrape 84. great variety. Enjoyed it. Mrs Jasper put in another good score on 82. ( B )

Jasper.

Sian
On 8/25/2019 at 6:49 PM, donna said:

Phil and I will be at Southdown so may see you.

Phil said you had food poisoning, hope you are feeling better xxx

Southdown today and I did the driving again.   Very hot and sticky.  A couple of goes to start on the pool shoot and then onto Sportrap which I’m happy to say I did well on.  Felt more like my old self and apart from a couple of adjusted mounts, overall I seemed comfortable.  Joint ladies with a 90 and Greater London Ladies as well.  Then the sporting, joint ladies on 81 just one irritating bush for me 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Markh701

“..just one irritating bush for me ”

you can get creams for that !

• Haha 2

donna
10 hours ago, Sian said:

Phil said you had food poisoning, hope you are feeling better xxx

Southdown today and I did the driving again.   Very hot and sticky.  A couple of goes to start on the pool shoot and then onto Sportrap which I’m happy to say I did well on.  Felt more like my old self and apart from a couple of adjusted mounts, overall I seemed comfortable.  Joint ladies with a 90 and Greater London Ladies as well.  Then the sporting, joint ladies on 81 just one irritating bush for me 😂

Well done - thoroughly deserved.  

Food poisoning - who’d have it - not felt so ill in a very long time.  Feeling better now though thank you. 

• Like 1

P1Fanatic

Owls today for the Sportrap. Holidays, birthdays, weather and other family events meant I haven’t picked my gun up in 3.5 months. Added to which I fell off the loft ladder on sunday so currently nursing some rather large bruises on both arms amongst others. So was nice to just get out in good weather and hit some stuff. Ended up on a 77 which I was happy with that as lost a few not paying attention on previous persons simos and shooting them the wrong way around. Didnt touch the D bird on layout 3 so that was 5 lost on one target.

Lloyd

Sporting Targets this morning having my 4th lesson there. Once again shooting with a rental 28" barrelled Beretta 686 with a 13 1/2" stock fitted with an adjuster (Jones I think).

Last time out with this gun I did ~15/25 gun up and 25/25 gun down and was very happy. This time. . . meh. Came away after 75 clays having hit I think about 1/3rd of them as a guess. I'm not keeping accurate scoring as being a novice I'm more focused and working on the foundation skills..

All the targets this time were closer and slower than the ones I have shot before, a looper having been my nemesis for the day 😕. I was behind, in front variably. Sometimes felt myself lagging behind and other times rushing it. Once again faired better and felt better going at it gun down, though a couple of times I did fluff my mount.

Still, sometimes learning takes a step back before me move forward again, so while a touch disappointed on the whole I'm happy to be learning from my tutor and learning about my interactions with a shotgun.

Also first time wearing a skeet vest. A Musto Pro Competition Skeet Vest I found new/old stock for £45 with a D30 recoil pad. I think Ill remove the pad as I wasn't having issues with recoil anyway It somehow the gun felt a little inert in my shoulder, or that could just be my mind trying to excuse my poor performance :) 

Off to Churchills this afternoon to try out some guns. Hopefully I won't get any worse. 🙄 

Martinj
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:25 PM, Will Hewland said:

I used to love Widdington. I was put off by their shoot where I saw you months ago. Silly brutal stands I thought. Then my mate shot next one and said it was crowded. Maybe next year..

I think You'd have been happy enough on Sunday, I arrived about 10:00am and stand 1 was busy (predictably) so I started on 12 and worked backwards, there were no long queues except on the broken trap stands. Setups went from tricky to "a gift," think stand 1 last time, that hadn't changed, and there were 5 trailing pairs which most would hit, these made up for the odd tricky one. One that nearly defeated me was a fast quartering inward, L to R battue that was diving into the deck by the time it was in the zone, I missed three of four, finally sussing it on the last one.

• Thanks 1

Will Hewland

Looking at results for Westfield yesterday, the course wasn’t brutal but the competition was! 140 entries included 20 AAA and 15 AA. Trying to end up in the money there (as a AA shot) was a very tall ask.. Looks like a rehearsal for the British open. 

wynno
19 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Looking at results for Westfield yesterday, the course wasn’t brutal but the competition was! 140 entries included 20 AAA and 15 AA. Trying to end up in the money there (as a AA shot) was a very tall ask.. Looks like a rehearsal for the British open. 

Second in class Will , not too shabby 

Will Hewland
16 minutes ago, wynno said:

Second in class Will , not too shabby 

Thanks mate. If only AAA and AA weren’t combined. 😫

• Like 1

wynno
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

Thanks mate. If only AAA and AA weren’t combined. 😫

Oh....

• Like 1

Will Hewland
21 hours ago, Martinj said:

I think You'd have been happy enough on Sunday, I arrived about 10:00am and stand 1 was busy (predictably) so I started on 12 and worked backwards, there were no long queues except on the broken trap stands. Setups went from tricky to "a gift," think stand 1 last time, that hadn't changed, and there were 5 trailing pairs which most would hit, these made up for the odd tricky one. One that nearly defeated me was a fast quartering inward, L to R battue that was diving into the deck by the time it was in the zone, I missed three of four, finally sussing it on the last one.

Just seen the scores from Sunday. Quite a difference!! Looks as easy as Gunsite is now..

• Haha 2

GlawsterCodger

Oxfordshire today, their second 100 (10 stands of 10) bird shoot and beginning to put stands on “virgin” ground, merry gang of five, none of whom I knew so little chit chat, one was a bit all over the place and as all often feel let a few get away, that said shot well on st4 a distant r-l midi and even further big teal where next highest on squad was a 3/10 inc a county shot, one did though make too many errors, thankfully straighted last stand l-r 1/4ering & l-r incoming both orange & both usually my bogey (and big ones at that) Thought it was a notch up from the usual course, still a most enjoyable morning, bit low entry wise when I left, still time for that to change

Will Hewland
16 minutes ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

Oxfordshire today, their second 100 (10 stands of 10) bird shoot and beginning to put stands on “virgin” ground, merry gang of five, none of whom I knew so little chit chat, one was a bit all over the place and as all often feel let a few get away, that said shot well on st4 a distant r-l midi and even further big teal where next highest on squad was a 3/10 inc a county shot, one did though make too many errors, thankfully straighted last stand l-r 1/4ering & l-r incoming both orange & both usually my bogey (and big ones at that) Thought it was a notch up from the usual course, still a most enjoyable morning, bit low entry wise when I left, still time for that to change

I did want to support this event, but I'm still sat in the office..

Martinj
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

I did want to support this event, but I'm still sat in the office..

can't you ask the boss for a day off?

Will Hewland
2 minutes ago, Martinj said:

can't you ask the boss for a day off?

He’s a tight arse..

GlawsterCodger
2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

He’s a tight arse..

This might make him smile as forgot to mention this 100 target shoot is £36.00 comp entry, bit of good fortune on my part as class "winner" went T/O so despite my errors have a few bob coming back 

• Haha 1

tiptop
2 hours ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

bit of good fortune on my part as class "winner" went T/O so despite my errors have a few bob coming back 

Well done Richie...a lot of baggers about in B class at the moment. :eek::oops::smile:

jasper
On 8/28/2019 at 11:16 AM, Will Hewland said:

Just seen the scores from Sunday. Quite a difference!! Looks as easy as Gunsite is now..

Obviously too easy for you as you haven't been near it in this issue.

Classic. 

See you there next week then , see how you do. 

Jasper.

Will Hewland
46 minutes ago, jasper said:

Obviously too easy for you as you haven't been near it in this issue.

Classic. 

See you there next week then , see how you do. 

Jasper.

Whoops, pushed a button there. Not sure why.. So you assume the scores I manage at other grounds would be unattainable for me at Gunsite? Unlikely I would suggest, but just wondering..

I don’t do Gunsite. I would like to but it’s a bit of a trek for me, it’s usually very busy and there is always a nearer shoot to me. I don’t mind a “higher scoring” shoot (I will avoid the term “easy” in case that is the button..). I merely remark that Sean Ponting sets Widdington and Gunsite, so I was a bit shocked when a Widdington shoot a while back was so tough. Unfair in places actually. Then the last Widdington scores looked akin to Gunsite.

Hope that clears up whatever got your goat. No offence meant!

I’ve now had a proper look at some Gunsite scores though. Crikey. I wouldn’t take my average seriously if I only shot there. 100 straight HG and 25% of the entry on 90 or more.. anybody who feels that’s a perfect balance needs to get out more. 

GlawsterCodger
23 hours ago, tiptop said:

Well done Richie...a lot of baggers about in B class at the moment. :eek::oops::smile:

Yes B does have some very big sharks with lots of teeth, you of course being one of them!

40 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Whoops, pushed a button there. Not sure why.. So you assume the scores I manage at other grounds would be unattainable for me at Gunsite? Unlikely I would suggest, but just wondering..

I don’t do Gunsite. I would like to but it’s a bit of a trek for me, it’s usually very busy and there is always a nearer shoot to me. I don’t mind a “higher scoring” shoot (I will avoid the term “easy” in case that is the button..). I merely remark that Sean Ponting sets Widdington and Gunsite, so I was a bit shocked when a Widdington shoot a while back was so tough. Unfair in places actually. Then the last Widdington scores looked akin to Gunsite.

I’ve now had a proper look at some Gunsite scores though. Crikey. I wouldn’t take my average seriously if I only shot there. 100 straight HG and 25% of the entry on 90 or more.. anybody who feels that’s a perfect balance needs to get out more. 

The chap that shot the 100 straight, he is only just returning after a very long absence,  am sure he has shot ESP for England, back in the day he took GD very deep into a sudden death shoot off, cannot remember which major it was, he is a very fine, natural shot. 

• Haha 2

Will Hewland
10 minutes ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

Yes B does have some very big sharks with lots of teeth, you of course being one of them!

The chap that shot the 100 straight, he is only just returning after a very long absence,  am sure he has shot ESP for England, back in the day he took GD very deep into a sudden death shoot off, cannot remember which major it was, he is a very fine, natural shot. 

Martin Myers, multiple champion includingnlast year,  only did 77 shoots in the last 9 months. His lay off was a Tuesday morning. 😆

• Like 2

GlawsterCodger
12 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Martin Myers, multiple champion includingnlast year,  only did 77 shoots in the last 9 months. His lay off was a Tuesday morning. 😆

Oh not Martin, the Gunsite 100 straight was by John Smith, Oxfordshire chap, was lucky enough to be at Gunsite the day he did it, made everything i saw him shoot look so effortlessly easy almost in slow motion, which of course the clays were anything but, felt sorry for anyone following him, as at times as it must have been lulling one in.

• Thanks 1

Will Hewland
1 minute ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

Oh not Martin, the Gunsite 100 straight was by John Smith, Oxfordshire chap, was lucky enough to be at Gunsite the day he did it, made everything i saw him shoot look so effortlessly easy almost in slow motion, which of course the clays were anything but, felt sorry for anyone following him, as at times as it must have been lulling one in.

Sorry Rich. So hard to find which of the straighted Gunsite shoots we are discussing. 🤣🤣

• Like 1

jasper
2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Easy ,hard makes no odds to me. 13+ grounds ,3000 + targets. 85+ average. This issue. Much the same as you but achieved on far far less shooting. And no practice. And much less 💰

It's busy?? ,sort of speaks volumes really. 

Go late if you can get a pass. 🙄

It's  a bit trek for us also. Just saying. 

The "button " is when folk comment on something they know sweet fa about cos they haven't been there . Just score surfing. Which as we know rarely tells the full picture. Simples.

So come down then . You will probably maintain your average or better.

You will also enjoy yourself. Because it's entertaining. Scores look good here because Shaun knows how to set targets. Good honest targets which are shootable by all to some degree. No tricks or stupid colours. This is different to an easy shoot. But you wouldn't know. 🎣

Hope this clears up what got my goat . No offence meant or taken. 

Jasper. 

• Like 1