Jump to content
Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Recommended Posts

donna
12 minutes ago, Westward said:

Sean wants people to enjoy the shoot and doesn't use silly stuff to beat the shooters. And as Jasper says above, not usually easy and mostly you have to work for your scores, but no one minds that.

The proof is in the numbers, as yesterday there were 186 registered and at least 25 non registered entries despite the fact that St Dials and Westfield also had reg sporting on, Barbury held a reg Compak and it was the big day at the Masters.

The hubby and I went there at the end of last year and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was a long trek for us but well worth the visit and we will be going back. What he achieved in the amount of space he had and the quality of the targets was superb. Something for everyone but nothing ridiculously stupid. I don’t mind being beaten by a good target, just don’t like being beaten by an eyesight test or a high hedge! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSherriff70
15 hours ago, Doug Pinnegar said:

Glad you enjoyed it! 

Ive attached their shoot dates for the season. Hope to see you at a few of them 👍

8BF033F9-FF59-4ACB-B019-77CF8ABB889D.jpeg

 Thank you!

5 of us came down to shoot, and all of us agreed how much we enjoyed it. We will certainly be back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland
22 minutes ago, Westward said:

Sean wants people to enjoy the shoot and doesn't use silly stuff to beat the shooters. And as Jasper says above, not usually easy and mostly you have to work for your scores, but no one minds that.

The proof is in the numbers, as yesterday there were 186 registered and at least 25 non registered entries despite the fact that St Dials and Westfield also had reg sporting on, Barbury held a reg Compak and it was the big day at the Masters.

Yes the big entry is slightly against it for me as its a long day after a long drive. I'll nip down with the foot and mouth signs before the next one..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
diver682
9 hours ago, Martinj said:

Willinghurst 13.04.2019

Thought I'd take a look at this new shoot, I was very pleased to see a new weekend opportunity, It was a nice layout in the Surrey woodland.

Some of the targets were what you would expect and some were on the tough side (for me.) Two stands comprising high floaters, up to 50-60 yards in my estimation, midis and standards, these were unnatural shots for a pigeon shooter like me because they were slow so you need less lead right?  but how much less? I missed plenty of these although they were hittable and I'd like to practise on them until I get them right. I felt under gunned with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, next time I'll use 1/2 and 1/2. I shot about 9 down on my average, high score was 91 which says a lot.

It's early days for this shoot and we must be supportive if we want it to become a regular event. Teething problems? - a shortage of scorers meant a few of the scorers had to multi task which they did cheerfully and efficiently and there were no complaints.

Very pretty piece of ground with targets for all abilities. Struggled with the two stands you mentioned with the high targets, but that's down to me not reading them correctly as they where all hitable if you put the shot in the right place. Looking forward to the next shoot on the 27th 

Edited by diver682
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bisondan
21 hours ago, jasper said:

It was a step up from the normal gunsite. But still very enjoyable and didn't seem to punish the lower classes. As stated before a very good trick if you can pull it off. Which it seems Sean can almost at will. Really one of the best shoots I've been to in a while. 

Jasper.

That was the best round of clays I've shot in a while at Gunsite yesterday, thoroughly enjoyable compared to some of the rubbish dished up at other places.

Nice to shoot at some stuff that needed a good gap as well.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland

EJC STR was a bad start to the Easter parade for me. Good course, lovely weather.

Short version. Shot like a tit.

Longer version, featuring mitigation.. Started well on first two layouts which were closer targets. 23 and 22. Second two layouts in much more open ground with longer targets. Disastrous 16 and 18. Realised too late that I was way in front of all the long stuff, which is what I do when I haven’t shot for a few weeks. Spent this week full-on at work and never thought about shooting, so created same rusty mindset. Shot a couple of targets after I finished and smashed them by cutting back a chunk. Just out of calibration! Oh well, glad I found that today before all the sporting shoots coming up this weekend. Restraint..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

EJC STR was a bad start to the Easter parade for me. Good course, lovely weather.

Short version. Shot like a tit.

Longer version, featuring mitigation.. Started well on first two layouts which were closer targets. 23 and 22. Second two layouts in much more open ground with longer targets. Disastrous 16 and 18. Realised too late that I was way in front of all the long stuff, which is what I do when I haven’t shot for a few weeks. Spent this week full-on at work and never thought about shooting, so created same rusty mindset. Shot a couple of targets after I finished and smashed them by cutting back a chunk. Just out of calibration! Oh well, glad I found that today before all the sporting shoots coming up this weekend. Restraint..

That working malarkey is a poor idea 😏

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeremy Baker

Shot the FITASC at AGL yesterday 

Was pleasantly surprised. 

Good targets great use of space. 

Real difference between pegs. 

Still learning my new stuff so happy enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland
6 minutes ago, Jeremy Baker said:

Shot the FITASC at AGL yesterday 

Was pleasantly surprised. 

Good targets great use of space. 

Real difference between pegs. 

Still learning my new stuff so happy enough.

Looked firm by scores. Just because of low entry? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×