Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

matt s

First go at Royal Berkshire Handicap Classic yesterday.Shot most of it reasonably well,the odd sloppy mistake which cost me one or two but no disasters.Thought I’d wait until the last stand for that!!Right to left tower midi with fairly narrow window in which to shoot,dropped one of those,it was the second bird that completely baffled me,high left to right midi,didn’t touch a single one,pretty sure i was coming off line and a couple of times giving it too much.Finished on 87+5 CPSA handicap,hopefully this will get me into the final 🤞.Will probably have another go with the side by side at some point for a bit of fun.

• Like 1

Will Hewland
20 minutes ago, matt s said:

First go at Royal Berkshire Handicap Classic yesterday.Shot most of it reasonably well,the odd sloppy mistake which cost me one or two but no disasters.Thought I’d wait until the last stand for that!!Right to left tower midi with fairly narrow window in which to shoot,dropped one of those,it was the second bird that completely baffled me,high left to right midi,didn’t touch a single one,pretty sure i was coming off line and a couple of times giving it too much.Finished on 87+5 CPSA handicap,hopefully this will get me into the final 🤞.Will probably have another go with the side by side at some point for a bit of fun.

Well shot. Yes you’ve probably knocked me out now. 😆

• Like 1

Spr1985

I shot at agl this morning, shot my third new pb in a week two at the Essex masters and then today, I also shot my first registered straight today, Should have straighted more of the stands but made silly “newbie” mistakes but as I’ve only been shooting since December and shot first registered in January I’m giving myself some slack. Progressing well and happy with my shooting 😁

for anyone that’s interested i shot 60 today

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

donna
12 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I shot at agl this morning, shot my third new pb in a week two at the Essex masters and then today, I also shot my first registered straight today, Should have straighted more of the stands but made silly “newbie” mistakes but as I’ve only been shooting since December and shot first registered in January I’m giving myself some slack. Progressing well and happy with my shooting 😁

for anyone that’s interested i shot 60 today

Very well done, you’re going in the right direction but you will get days/weeks where it does go backwards so don’t get disappointed, but keep it up. 👏

• Like 1

Markh701

The AGL premier league course was very enjoyable with a bit of everything. I think stand 1 had a few admin issues!! Everywhere else seemed to flow quite well apart from the rabbit/diving duck combo. I enjoyed that stand but couldn’t find the rabbit annoyingly so very costly. I hit the first one then missed the rest - doh

Sian
24 minutes ago, Markh701 said:

The AGL premier league course was very enjoyable with a bit of everything. I think stand 1 had a few admin issues!! Everywhere else seemed to flow quite well apart from the rabbit/diving duck combo. I enjoyed that stand but couldn’t find the rabbit annoyingly so very costly. I hit the first one then missed the rest - doh

I found myself overleading the rabbit and hanging on to the diving duck cost me dearly too.  

• Thanks 1

chippy

Off to the Essex masters tomorrow only need 2 X 97s to win it.  But iam going with high hopes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bebo

Was intending to go to AGL today, but came down with a cold yesterday and couldn't face 6hrs driving and probably 4hrs to get around.  Sounds like it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Will Hewland

Went late to Horne, Gatton Bottom. Flipping hell, toughest one I’ve ever done there. Just awkward on almost every stand. Stand 1 had a 60+ yard stalling midi crosser (the usual one but further out). Plus a green crosser which didn’t exactly break itself. Rest of shoot fiddly as heck, some really hard to see well, or incomers sent from a trap 120 yards away. Anyway, hit 83 with two or three silly misses including a flinch, which happens when I’m struggling. 92 was HG I think and when I left that was 4 clear of next score. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bebo
35 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Went late to Horne, Gatton Bottom. Flipping hell, toughest one I’ve ever done there. Just awkward on almost every stand. Stand 1 had a 60+ yard stalling midi crosser (the usual one but further out). Plus a green crosser which didn’t exactly break itself. Rest of shoot fiddly as heck, some really hard to see well, or incomers sent from a trap 120 yards away. Anyway, hit 83 with two or three silly misses including a flinch, which happens when I’m struggling. 92 was HG I think and when I left that was 4 clear of next score. 

You've made me feel better about only hitting one of those midi crossers on Stand 1.  I missed the first green one, hit the rest.  Struggled on the incomer on Stand 10, didn't hit one of those, but got two of the high incomers that was combined with the battue teal.  Straighted the sim pair with the overhead, but only managed to hit the last pair on the other one - could hit either the teal or the crosser as the first bird, but neither as the second until I realised I was overleading the orange crosser when taken second (and high on it as well I think).

I won't be dissatisfied with my 76 then (although I missed three teals that I shouldn't have and the third pair of the crossers on Stand 7 when I middled the rest of them).

• Thanks 2

chippy

172 at the Essex masters a 87 followed by a 85.  Not many big distance targets but some very deceptive angles and speeds.

• Like 4

jasper

90 at gunsite. Really good shoot as always. 96 was leading when we left.

Will Hewland
39 minutes ago, jasper said:

90 at gunsite. Really good shoot as always. 96 was leading when we left.

Nearly went there. Wish I had. 😆

woody

First time I'd touched my gun in 2 months today. Horne with @Bebo and her husband. Dismal score. 

Not too annoyed because shooting has been a long way down the agenda recently. Hope to be out and about more now. 

Biggest dissapointment is still having howlers on the stands the experienced shots use as card fillers.

Will Hewland
12 minutes ago, woody said:

First time I'd touched my gun in 2 months today. Horne with @Bebo and her husband. Dismal score. 

Not too annoyed because shooting has been a long way down the agenda recently. Hope to be out and about more now. 

Biggest dissapointment is still having howlers on the stands the experienced shots use as card fillers.

If you could tell me where the card fillers were today I would be grateful. 😆

• Like 1

Markh701

Westfield today for the first time. Nice ground in a lovely setting just so flipping far away for a day return. Very enjoyable targets and the flapjack was awesome so gets my vote for a return. Stand 11 B bird was the card wrecker.

woody

Stand 12, if that was a going away orange following pair. Dropped 4. 

Stand 11. Orange going away from left, pink going away from right but further out. Dropped loads. Can't remeber. 

Stuff that when I shoot regularly doesn't seem so difficult 

Bebo

Stand 2. Although we both dropped one on that because of a very slow pull.

Will Hewland
1 hour ago, woody said:

Stand 12, if that was a going away orange following pair. Dropped 4. 

Stand 11. Orange going away from left, pink going away from right but further out. Dropped loads. Can't remeber. 

Stuff that when I shoot regularly doesn't seem so difficult 

All fiddly. Stand 12 very hard to see. Stand 11 second target needed great control. Looks easy but isn’t. Makes you feel a fool when you miss. I did only miss one over those two stands but my eyes were on stalks. 

jasper
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

Nearly went there. Wish I had. 😆

It was a step up from the normal gunsite. But still very enjoyable and didn't seem to punish the lower classes. As stated before a very good trick if you can pull it off. Which it seems Sean can almost at will. Really one of the best shoots I've been to in a while. 

Jasper.

TheSherriff70

I did the sporting at Honesberie on Saturday. 100 birds over 14 stands. Really enjoyed it. Never shot there before, but was impressed with the variety of targets. 

Spent the day decorating my bathroom today. 😢😢

Will Hewland
16 minutes ago, jasper said:

It was a step up from the normal gunsite. But still very enjoyable and didn't seem to punish the lower classes. As stated before a very good trick if you can pull it off. Which it seems Sean can almost at will. Really one of the best shoots I've been to in a while. 

Jasper.

I was saying today actually, Sean pointing is a great course setter. Been around long enough to understand an interesting and fair balance. Also, he isn’t such a big name that he has to let his ego get in the way. (And a lovely bloke too). 

• Like 5

Doug Pinnegar
30 minutes ago, TheSherriff70 said:

I did the sporting at Honesberie on Saturday. 100 birds over 14 stands. Really enjoyed it. Never shot there before, but was impressed with the variety of targets. 

Spent the day decorating my bathroom today. 😢😢

Glad you enjoyed it! 

Ive attached their shoot dates for the season. Hope to see you at a few of them 👍

8BF033F9-FF59-4ACB-B019-77CF8ABB889D.jpeg

Martinj

Willinghurst 13.04.2019

Thought I'd take a look at this new shoot, I was very pleased to see a new weekend opportunity, It was a nice layout in the Surrey woodland.

Some of the targets were what you would expect and some were on the tough side (for me.) Two stands comprising high floaters, up to 50-60 yards in my estimation, midis and standards, these were unnatural shots for a pigeon shooter like me because they were slow so you need less lead right?  but how much less? I missed plenty of these although they were hittable and I'd like to practise on them until I get them right. I felt under gunned with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, next time I'll use 1/2 and 1/2. I shot about 9 down on my average, high score was 91 which says a lot.

It's early days for this shoot and we must be supportive if we want it to become a regular event. Teething problems? - a shortage of scorers meant a few of the scorers had to multi task which they did cheerfully and efficiently and there were no complaints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Westward
15 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I was saying today actually, Sean pointing is a great course setter. Been around long enough to understand an interesting and fair balance. Also, he isn’t such a big name that he has to let his ego get in the way. (And a lovely bloke too). 

Sean wants people to enjoy the shoot and doesn't use silly stuff to beat the shooters. And as Jasper says above, not usually easy and mostly you have to work for your scores, but no one minds that.

The proof is in the numbers, as yesterday there were 186 registered and at least 25 non registered entries despite the fact that St Dials and Westfield also had reg sporting on, Barbury held a reg Compak and it was the big day at the Masters.

• Like 2