Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

tiptop

I shot 4C's on Sunday. Started on stand 10, at 10 o'clock then on to 9 going round the course in reverse order leaving 11 until the end. There was a couple of groups that were at stand 9 early doors and had to use dark lens then. The consensus at that time was that the stand (9) would be near unshootable later on. A teal directly into the sun, and a high L/R quartering not being great target setting in my opinion for that stand. A tip for those that shoot 4C's...shoot stands 9, 10 first if you are there early saves all the grief later on.

• Thanks 2

jasper

A tip for 4c's . Think about your targets then people won't have to start on 9 and 10 first and you will avoid a lot grief later .😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will Hewland
7 hours ago, tiptop said:

I shot 4C's on Sunday. Started on stand 10, at 10 o'clock then on to 9 going round the course in reverse order leaving 11 until the end. There was a couple of groups that were at stand 9 early doors and had to use dark lens then. The consensus at that time was that the stand (9) would be near unshootable later on. A teal directly into the sun, and a high L/R quartering not being great target setting in my opinion for that stand. A tip for those that shoot 4C's...shoot stands 9, 10 first if you are there early saves all the grief later on.

I will blame the first F1 race of the year being in Australia. Watched that before I went to 4C so turned up at 11.30. No chance!

• Like 1

Turkey
Posted (edited)

Southdown on Sunday for the England qualifier managed an 86 felt I left at least  5 out there

95 was HG

Edited by Turkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rammy

How busy is Southdown on a Saturday? 

Whats the quietest time to go ?

OUSurrey
12 hours ago, Rammy said:

How busy is Southdown on a Saturday? 

Whats the quietest time to go ?

Really does vary, I try and turn up 11ish so the first "wave" so to speak of shooters are most of the way round.

Martinj
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Turkey said:

Southdown on Sunday for the England qualifier managed an 86 felt I left at least  5 out there

95 was HG

I shot Southdown on Sunday, I arrived about 11:30, did the pool shoot so didn't start the sporting until gone 12:00. It was OK at first but very busy down the far end of the lane. It was windy, there were queues and I put in my worst score for years. I'm dreaming of calm sunny days or even just calm days!

Edited by Martinj
  • Like 1

Sian
1 hour ago, Martinj said:

I shot Southdown on Sunday, I arrived about 11:30, did the pool shoot so didn't start the sporting until gone 12:00. It was OK at first but very busy down the far end of the lane. It was windy, there were queues and I put in my worst score for years. I'm dreaming of calm sunny days or even just calm days!

At least you didn't vomit along the way 🤣

• Haha 1

Will Hewland

Very enjoyable afternoon at the Hornet (College Farm) FITASC registered today. Started well with a 24, then faded as the day went on, trying too hard I think, finished 85. Some great targets though. Very tired now, it does drain the brain.

Markh701

“At least you didn't vomit along the way 🤣

Just as well all I didn’t take the dog down the lane today then !!

I hope you have now recovered. Was it something you ate?

Rammy
6 minutes ago, Markh701 said:

Do they allow dogs at Southdown then ? 

Markh701

That’s an incriminating question

Sian
2 hours ago, Markh701 said:

I don’t know, I couldn’t think of anything I had eaten to cause it but I bumped into someone who had it the day before like a 24 hr thing ad it was the same for me the next day I felt fine.  Just a shame it spoiled my shoot.

philmoss
4 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Very enjoyable afternoon at the Hornet (College Farm) FITASC registered today. Started well with a 24, then faded as the day went on, trying too hard I think, finished 85. Some great targets though. Very tired now, it does drain the brain.

Wrong topic Will !!!......not FITASC here ...... 🤣

You reminded someone else of this the other day !

Will Hewland
9 hours ago, philmoss said:

Wrong topic Will !!!......not FITASC here ...... 🤣

You reminded someone else of this the other day !

FITASC Sporting is sporting Phil.. Admittedly it’s a French variant, so I thought it best to have a bash now, before Brexit gets it taken off the table..

Martinj
18 hours ago, Sian said:

At least you didn't vomit along the way 🤣

it didn't seem to put you off, I think it was you that I saw doing well on the sim blue looper.

Sian
6 minutes ago, Martinj said:

it didn't seem to put you off, I think it was you that I saw doing well on the sim blue looper.

you caught me in a good moment, I had some terrible stands, quite literally not finding clays I would normally be okay with.  I had shot 5 or 6 stands feeling extremely off before the exorcist moment and then it didn't get much better after that.  Really a shame as I liked the course.

Will Hewland

EJ Churchill STR today. Always good. First layout was just lots of high loopers and crossers, nothing nasty, so 23 was not actually great there. The next three layouts were much tougher, with layout three being impressive at any level! Finished on 84, which won A class and was third overall. Admittedly not a huge entry..

• Like 2

Will Hewland

And rounded off a busy shooting week with RBSS Handicap Challenge. As feared, I missed 7 clays where I had done well last time, but at least did better overall by curing some of the initially bad stands. Straighted the 20 sequence and did 18/20 in the Grouse to prop myself up for 85 plus 5 handicap. Very good course. 

antse7en

70 at Horne, feel I lost a good 8-10 across the first 3 stands. I definitely need to “warm up” which is what I did last week at my local club before shooting the reg - and winning the class.

Think I’ll be a pool shoot chap from now on. 

Just arrived at Dartford for second shoot, never been here before so let’s see how I get on. 

• Like 1

antse7en

Dartford done - 76. Nice ground actually so much here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will Hewland
2 hours ago, antse7en said:

70 at Horne, feel I lost a good 8-10 across the first 3 stands. I definitely need to “warm up” which is what I did last week at my local club before shooting the reg - and winning the class.

Think I’ll be a pool shoot chap from now on. 

Just arrived at Dartford for second shoot, never been here before so let’s see how I get on. 

Good to see you albeit briefly, at Horne. 87, but I wonder if that wasn’t their highest scoring shoot, I certainly struggled and felt a twit at least 7 times. A few long slow crossers beat me up, but that’s just me not being consistent on them today. Others were just fiddly targets, hard to nail down consistently. I was glad to straight stand 3 which was an awkward 5 sim pairs.

• Like 1

Rammy

Just got home from Horne got a 65 with my new guerini so was happy with that 

took some time to get used to the extra weight compared to my ATA 

Bebo
Posted (edited)

Just Dartford for me today. Enjoyed it, but seem to be having trouble with what should be straight forward mid pace crossers.  Mashed the big looper on Stand 2, but couldn't get on the relatively straight forward one on Stand 3. Need to work on switching techniques more. I'm better taking that sort of target earlier with more gun speed, but seem to get stuck in a rut trying to use a slower pull away as I would on the longer targets.

ETA finished on 72

Edited by Bebo

Sian

Grange Farm and Westfield, I shot one stand at each shoot really well, the rest of my shooting was very meh.    Both well attended just one stand at Grange we waited 40 mins to shoot, it was our last but one.  Couldn’t see a reason for it just a busy stand.  Westfield was second today and a few stands I struggled with sun and one with a bush 😂.  I’m taking hedge clippers to,all shoots from now on.  Good targets though, abused Steve a bit always makes me feel better 😂.  

• Thanks 1