Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Sian

I never learn!   Owls yesterday which I enjoyed, wind was less in the afternoon but still caught you out.  I had one stand where my eyes just  didn’t work and I really struggled to see the targets but I enjoyed myself.  Gunsite this morning blowing a Holley but I second what Jasper says, really good course setting just the overheads were savage and 5 pairs but really enjoyed it.  On to Westfield where it was also blowing a hooley really came unstuck on several stands and consequently shot a glorious 59.  Didn’t help myself because it gets to a point where I no longer want to try so my bad.   I did nearly fall over twice while shooting and I did struggle to keep upright at times - too much like hard work.  As said though I never learn.   I Can hear William Howland tutting and rolling his eyes.

• Haha 3

donna
18 minutes ago, Sian said:

I never learn!   Owls yesterday which I enjoyed, wind was less in the afternoon but still caught you out.  I had one stand where my eyes just  didn’t work and I really struggled to see the targets but I enjoyed myself.  Gunsite this morning blowing a Holley but I second what Jasper says, really good course setting just the overheads were savage and 5 pairs but really enjoyed it.  On to Westfield where it was also blowing a hooley really came unstuck on several stands and consequently shot a glorious 59.  Didn’t help myself because it gets to a point where I no longer want to try so my bad.   I did nearly fall over twice while shooting and I did struggle to keep upright at times - too much like hard work.  As said though I never learn.   I Can hear William Howland tutting and rolling his eyes.

You nearly fell over because you hardly weigh anything now!  Great weight loss my friend, you look good but you will feel the cold now!  Let’s hope the weather is better for next weekend.  

Sian
24 minutes ago, donna said:

You nearly fell over because you hardly weigh anything now!  Great weight loss my friend, you look good but you will feel the cold now!  Let’s hope the weather is better for next weekend.  

Thanks.   I hope so, it’s a work out trying to keep upright without controlling a gun as well.

• Haha 1

Doug Pinnegar

Despite the weather forecast I went to Westfield, expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the traps were set with pretty much full spring to punch through and remain pretty consistent.

I had a very nice card before I lost 11 birds on the last two stands 😭

Martinj
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, Will Hewland said:

Horne is cancelled today for the high winds. I can’t see how any shoot can work, because the gusts are so fierce. You can’t set up for that surely.

I turned up at Horne (Gatton Bottom) only to find them shutting up shop. They had laid out all the traps but had to pull the plug due to huge variations in targets.

Scored some brownie points at home by painting the shed :sungum:

Will Hewland
4 hours ago, Martinj said:

I turned up at Horne (Gatton Bottom) only to find them shutting up shop. They had laid out all the traps but had to pull the plug due to huge variations in targets.

Scored some brownie points at home by painting the shed :sungum:

Horne was always going to be the worst shoot ever in those conditions. Low spring clays with stands in close proximity, often throwing incoming clays from far away. It’s bad when it’s just breezy. 

I did a last minute trip to RBSS today for the Handicap Challenge shoot, as weather looked best day this week. 

A very good course where stands are all medium hard rather than anything extreme or too easy. Last stand is a bit tougher if you’re not great on long stuff. Cost me a few finding them..

The part where I disappointed myself was the 20 bird Grouse sequence, which I have done well on previously but it was quite different with some awkward angles and some longer targets. A poor 13 in there. It would have helped if I had seen somebody else shoot it first, but I went in blind. Elsewhere some daft misses, finishing on 81 (plus 5 handicap). Shame they couldn’t accommodate a second go straight after, as that would really have been good, having learned a few things first go. (I find if I try again another day, the wind changes, the light changes and my memory distorts it so it rarely works out well..) I will go again though.. recommended. Fibre only now.

Jonny English
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

Horne was always going to be the worst shoot ever in those conditions. Low spring clays with stands in close proximity, often throwing incoming clays from far away. It’s bad when it’s just breezy. 

I did a last minute trip to RBSS today for the Handicap Challenge shoot, as weather looked best day this week. 

A very good course where stands are all medium hard rather than anything extreme or too easy. Last stand is a bit tougher if you’re not great on long stuff. Cost me a few finding them..

The part where I disappointed myself was the 20 bird Grouse sequence, which I have done well on previously but it was quite different with some awkward angles and some longer targets. A poor 13 in there. It would have helped if I had seen somebody else shoot it first, but I went in blind. Elsewhere some daft misses, finishing on 81 (plus 5 handicap). Shame they couldn’t accommodate a second go straight after, as that would really have been good, having learned a few things first go. (I find if I try again another day, the wind changes, the light changes and my memory distorts it so it rarely works out well..) I will go again though.. recommended. Fibre only now.

I saw the FB post from RBSS about going fibre only, think one of the writers from sporting gun or such magazines went proper off his rocker over the decision.

• Like 2

Will Hewland
Just now, Jonny English said:

I saw the FB post from RBSS about going fibre only, think one of the writers from sporting gun or such magazines went proper off his rocker over the decision.

Yes, Richard Atkins. Became a good slanging match.

Jonny English
1 minute ago, Will Hewland said:

Yes, Richard Atkins. Became a good slanging match.

Excellent entertainment value!

At end of the day its their ground, their choice. Not sure if it'll have any decent effect on their attendance, it's bound to put a few off.

schmokinn

Richard "never reviewed a bad gun or cartridge " Atkins foisting his opinion on others....never!

Hamster
16 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

Richard "never reviewed a bad gun or cartridge " Atkins foisting his opinion on others....never!

Fair enough statement except it's not quite as clear cut as him or anyone else being able to write warts'n all reviews about products, not in the regular mediums anyway. The manufacturers tend to send out stuff for reviews if they know they'll be shown in a good light and guns are the same. The only way you're going to get in depth unbiased tests is via people who are prepared to post on alternative sources such as social media, Youtube or forums - and then of course you need to learn to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, not always easy for the beginner faced with a chap giving it large as if he knows what he's talking about. 

There is a cloak of protection around even those 🤐, I have been known to get tut tutting fingers pointed at me for daring to stay neutral (read sceptical) about P guns latest highly technical (not) offering 😏, if you so much as waver from gushing admiration for anything and everything bearing thy hallowed name you become a marked trouble maker. I have even managed to achieve same day bans from K gun worshipping circles, this despite the fact I hold them in very high regard generally !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

P1Fanatic
35 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

Never met the guy in person but certainly his FB persona is very confrontational & condescending when responding to anyone who disagrees with his view. Nothing he has said to me just general observation. And I do think there is some truth in his view re: fibre wad performance in newer guns with over bored barrels. I certainly have no confidence in fibres through my DT11.

Hamster
44 minutes ago, P1Fanatic said:

Never met the guy in person but certainly his FB persona is very confrontational & condescending when responding to anyone who disagrees with his view. Nothing he has said to me just general observation. And I do think there is some truth in his view re: fibre wad performance in newer guns with over bored barrels. I certainly have no confidence in fibres through my DT11.

That's at least partially because he gets a lot of confrontational, condescending replies to his views/posts, in life you either suck it or see to it that the other party gets the message that you won't tolerate rudeness or sark for the sake of it or simply because you have said something they disagree with. I get the same sometimes and have at times had to modify my otherwise perfectly friendly persona. 

• Haha 1

Will Hewland
3 minutes ago, Hamster said:

That's at least partially because he gets a lot of confrontational, condescending replies to his views/posts, in life you either suck it or see to it that the other party gets the message that you won't tolerate rudeness or sark for the sake of it or simply because you have said something they disagree with. I get the same sometimes and have at times had to modify my otherwise perfectly friendly persona. 

He has strong moral fibre.  Aaargh don’t say fibre..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Geordieboy

Shot Grange Farm in that 'Wind'

The guy who set it up tore his own card up after 4 stands.

NUF SED.

On an ordinary windless day it would have been a challenge.  But with that wind it was silly.  Course setter could have taken that into account.  It was won on 95, but first thing there was no wind.  Regular AA class were down in low 80's High 70's as the day went on.

Hey Ho..

Adam
20 hours ago, Geordieboy said:

Shot Grange Farm in that 'Wind'

The guy who set it up tore his own card up after 4 stands.

NUF SED.

On an ordinary windless day it would have been a challenge.  But with that wind it was silly.  Course setter could have taken that into account.  It was won on 95, but first thing there was no wind.  Regular AA class were down in low 80's High 70's as the day went on.

Hey Ho..

The course setter didn’t tare his card up I only had a few minutes free to shoot a few stands. 

There was very little wind in the morning when the competition started with it building as the day went on, I always take the weather conditions into account when setting the targets but there’s little I can do once the competition has started. 

Would you be happy if I changed the targets halfway through a shoot ? I’ll guess not 

• Haha 1

Geordieboy
4 minutes ago, Adam said:

The course setter didn’t tare his card up I only had a few minutes free to shoot a few stands. 

There was very little wind in the morning when the competition started with it building as the day went on, I always take the weather conditions into account when setting the targets but there’s little I can do once the competition has started. 

Would you be happy if I changed the targets halfway through a shoot ? I’ll guess not 

Apologies

I thought you tore your own card up.  Sorry I misquoted you.

You need to get rid of that daft mini though. In a big wind....it just disappears and it shouldn't be an eyesight test.

I appreciate there is nothing you can do once the competition has started.  It is what it is.  I CHOSE TO SHOOT IN THE WIND.  I had already allowed for the fact that my score would be affected.  You win some...you lose some.  As I say I chose to shoot it.  Had there been no wind at all the targets would have been great.

You might want to take a look at METOFFICE the night before though.  😉

Will Hewland

College Farm today. Such a good shoot. Superb targets, many quite long but fast and impressive in the wind. I think HG may come after today (it runs until Friday) as wind will drop. 

Very happy with 92 as I only had 1 daft miss. I lost two in the wind that I feel nobody would have hit. Otherwise just adapted well to the conditions. 

• Like 3

Will Hewland

Wahoo. Update.. got shared HG with Sam Usher. Some good names went through too. Glad to get my act back together. I’m settled with new glasses now!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

jason king

Congrats W H.  the trophy is just that rather than thanks..

Edited by jason king
  • Like 1

Chipper
16 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Wahoo. Update.. got shared HG with Sam Usher. Some good names went through too. Glad to get my act back together. I’m settled with new glasses now!

Well shot Will & Sam, thought 93-94 but even better 92 👌👌

• Like 1

Will Hewland
9 minutes ago, Chipper said:

Well shot Will & Sam, thought 93-94 but even better 92 👌👌

Yes I thought I would be 1-2 light also..

• Like 1

Bebo

Court Farm this morning.  First Reg shoot for a few weeks as I've been avoiding the gales and rain.  Started on Stand 2 and had an absolute shocker.  Dropped 7 clays of the 8.  Hanging on to them.  Also think I was in front on a quartering looper.  Then missed the first pair on the next stand.  So that's 9 of the first 10 clays away.  Steadied myself and only dropped one more on that stand.  Next a sim pair that I would normally fluff, did OK, only 2 away and started to feel a bit better about things.  Managed to straight 5 of the remaining 9 stands and finished on 79.  After the first stand I was expecting to struggle to get back to my average, so happy with managing 6 over it.

• Like 2

antse7en

I just finished at court Farm. 74. The sun and wind were both coming and going but it was ultimately a nice shoot (I’ve really missed it with the weather). 74 was C class HG at the time I finished so fingers crossed it’ll be my first ever. 

• Like 5

Will Hewland

Four Counties today. Might be my last visit there..

I did start very badly on my first stand, (stand 8 maybe)?, hitting 4/10. They don’t vary targets much at 4C and this stand almost always has some close floppy clays, but today they were much further out which fooled me. Mashed last pair well with lots more lead. Very silly on my part.

Anyway, went moderately ok round the rest of the tricky course, the wind was bad in places, missing another 10. Was on for a not disastrous 84 if I straighted the last stand. 

I went back to my last stand 3 times hoping for a cloud because the sun was ridiculous. (Stand 9)? Well, of course the sun itself wasn’t ridiculous, but a course setter throwing both targets directly into it was! A big cloud passed over by the time I was almost due to shoot it at third attempt, but it was in direct full sun again while I queued. Fed up by this point, me and my mate decided to quit the shoot, leaving just this stand unshot. I handed our cards in and it got a bit heated in the office because they didn’t understand the CPSA rule that says if a competitor retires, their score is marked against targets shot. I.e 68 out of 84 or whatever, NOT out of 100. So that was uncomfortable, plus I did call it idiocy to set targets right into the sun, which went down rather badly..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1