Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

schmokinn

A very windy Owls for me,some very awkward pairs and with the wind effect didn't do so well.

Pool shoot was interesting wind blew gun of target on the going away D bird a couple of times once taking 20st of me with it!

• Haha 1

Will Hewland
4 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

A very windy Owls for me,some very awkward pairs and with the wind effect didn't do so well.

Pool shoot was interesting wind blew gun of target on the going away D bird a couple of times once taking 20st of me with it!

I started on the pool shoot. Rubbish first cage, even missed the single. Had a D bird climb an invisible flight of stairs in the wind too. 21 with a better last three cages wasn’t too bad.

The Sporting was awkward in places, but my usual “easy” target is a 30 yard battue and missed one three times today. No idea why. Shot pretty averagely with too many soppy misses elsewhere, especially in first half. 86. 

P1Fanatic

Also went to Owls for last cards. Missed some basic stuff at the start but had a good middle section and then checked my score with 3 stands left and fell apart like a cheap watch dropping 10. Stand 11 simo was probably the most wind affected for me as blew the 2nd bird into the ground so quickly that unless you got the first bird pretty much straight out of the trap then you had no chance and felt like I was just throwing the gun at it more in hope. Ended on 78.

Sian

Owls for us too.  Definitely windier  than I thought it was going to be.  Found myself leaning against stands at times to steady myself.  Sim teal was weird orange came out before black but then two buttons were being used.  Some clays definitely dancing in the wind, enjoyed it though.  Think I finished on 77 or 78 can’t remember.  Had a good breakfast after.

• Haha 1

Will Hewland

So, frustrated with hitting 86 yesterday at Owls, I went out and made it a whole new day at Westfield. Hit 86.. 

Yet another bad start and reasonable finish. Great course as ever, weather improved hugely from 10 am (while we hid and had breakfast) Shame only 11 stands today. 

Sian

Gunsite and Westfield today, Gunsite rain and wind and watery eyes and then wind at Westfield.  Both shoots very enjoyable but like Will I prefer less 5 pair stands, 6 is too many.

Steve Lovatt

Hi Will 

I’m glad you enjoyed it 

sorry it was only 11 stands today but I had a ref say yesterday morning he was unwell and just couldn’t find a replacement 

its the first time in years I’ve done it and don’t want to make a habit of it but some grounds still use 10 or 11 stands as the norm 

• Like 1

Bebo

Stuck with my decision to not shoot Reg comps in high winds or freezing temperatures.  Went to the local shoot at Mill Farm down near Pevensey.

• Thanks 1

Turkey

westfields early with Porky & doug....

Porky 92 .me..91 Doug 75..

I dropped 4 on stand 10 a long dieing crosser that cost me i  overlead it and paid the price

Good shoot 

Then to Gunsite i managed an 88 ,,,Porky 88 ...Doug a solid 84 ...we just couldnt straight stands ....but they were all there to be had! Some good targets...incredible shooting 2 x98s

• Like 1

Bebo

Nice morning out at Court Farm today, with the hubby, Woodie and another mate who hadn't shot a Registered comp before.  Lots of stuff to shoot straight at, as usual.  Surprisingly windy up at the top of the hill.  Foolishly skipped a stand along the bottom on the way through and went back to shoot it later.  Forgot how badly sun affected some of the high targets can be there at this time of year.  Hadn't had too bad a round, but dropping 6 from 10 on that last stand didn't help.  Finished on a 76.

woody

Permission to look smug?..... Granted. 

New PB at court farm today. 5th registered shoot and the 1st that starts with a seven for a 71. 

I'm pleased with that. I know you more experienced shots don't rate Horne shoots as much, but as our closest reg, and also the first I went to, its a good benchmark for me to measure progress against. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

chippy

Sporting targets today. Quite  a tough round Martin Myers high on 92. I hit 85 which iam fairly pleased with, as within 10 of HG is good for me.

• Like 2

P1Fanatic
16 hours ago, woody said:

New PB at court farm today. 5th registered shoot and the 1st that starts with a seven for a 71. 

I'm pleased with that. I know you more experienced shots don't rate Horne shoots as much, but as our closest reg, and also the first I went to, its a good benchmark for me to measure progress against. 

Well done. Always nice to hit such a milestone. Ignore what some folks say about Horne. They may not put on monster targets but usually some fairly fiddly stuff and for all the mumblings of it being an easier shoot rarely see massive scores there. At the end of the day you gotta shoot whatever is in front of you.

I went to 4C and shot like a blind man. Started on stand 1 as unusually it was empty. Simo going away that crossed and I just took too long to take them on. Dropped 4. Pretty much the same story all around and cant blame the wind or sun for any of my misses. Ended on 67 which is my worst score for some time. Still the weather was lovely - car said 15c on the drive home.

donna
16 hours ago, woody said:

Well done you 👏 onwards and upwards but you will have days where you just don’t feel right and it goes wrong believe me! I remember the first time I shot in the 70’s, I was so chuffed. Seemed to stay there for ages then before Christmas shot an 80 at sport trap and Owls, was even more chuffed!!!  Since the Xmas shoot at Owls I’ve only had one round of skeet due to family bereavement and illness’s in family but am shooting Tuesday so hope it’s not too bad!

Bebo
24 minutes ago, donna said:

Well done you 👏 onwards and upwards but you will have days where you just don’t feel right and it goes wrong believe me! I remember the first time I shot in the 70’s, I was so chuffed. Seemed to stay there for ages then before Christmas shot an 80 at sport trap and Owls, was even more chuffed!!!  Since the Xmas shoot at Owls I’ve only had one round of skeet due to family bereavement and illness’s in family but am shooting Tuesday so hope it’s not too bad!

I'm not going to comment on his grin when he added his score up.

Weather looks to be good for the week.  Have fun tomorrow.

• Like 1

GlawsterOldCodger

Working local to it so Owls Lodge for Sportrap, shot L1 & L4, well shot might be pushing it as Id be better off throwing carts from cage as just about everything I did was muck really, just not with it, L2 & L3 one did fare better, not concious of any change in approach so I will just put today down as being one to forget shooting wise, didnt see any scores so cant share. Am sure wheels will be back on soon

antse7en

I’ll finally be back on the Reg scene this weekend after getting the MK38 sorted. 

Planning AGL Saturday and Horne Sunday, if people are around do shout. 

woody
32 minutes ago, antse7en said:

Planning AGL Saturday and Horne Sunday, if people are around do shout.

Isn't AGL reg Friday? 

antse7en
4 minutes ago, woody said:

Isn't AGL reg Friday? 

Yes you’re quite right, damn. Need an alternative plan in that case. 

Bebo
18 minutes ago, antse7en said:

Yes you’re quite right, damn. Need an alternative plan in that case. 

EJ Churchill Premier League shoot is on Saturday if that's any good to you.

ETA Southdown is on on Sunday as an alternative / addition to Horne.

Edited by Bebo

Markh701

Good mix of targets at AGL today, but sooooo many crashes on the motorways. Can’t stand making that journey again.......

Bebo
2 hours ago, Markh701 said:

Good mix of targets at AGL today, but sooooo many crashes on the motorways. Can’t stand making that journey again.......

Yup.  I've only just got home.  Admittedly, I had to go up to Sporting Targets when I'd finished to pick up barrels that had been having some work on them.