Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

jasper

Being the rare person who seems to have a real job , Sunday is our shoot day regardless of whether it's a bit chilly or not. 

Grange farm for us . Was cold and very windy. Happy with an 87. Myers 94 was high gun when we left. 

Jasper.

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Like 1

donna
22 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Having shot twice in the week, I looked at the cold and wind today and ducked it.. no regrets. ☺️

Us too, we've made a decision that if we get up in the morning and it's wet/snowing/freezing cold then we are not shooting.  All last year we went shooting in atrocious conditions, shot well below par and regretted it. Sat around my lovely wood burner all day, made some lovely chicken and leek pies for the freezer and and am lovely and warm! 😘

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Bebo
2 minutes ago, donna said:

Us too, we've made a decision that if we get up in the morning and it's wet/snowing/freezing cold then we are not shooting.  All last year we went shooting in atrocious conditions, shot well below par and regretted it. Sat around my lovely wood burner all day, made some lovely chicken and leek pies for the freezer and and am lovely and warm! 😘

Good call.  By the end I was wishing I'd done the same.

donna
1 minute ago, Bebo said:

Good call.  By the end I was wishing I'd done the same.

I think we all tend to go out because we've been working all week and we look forward to shooting and just getting out but the fact is that it's not enjoyable in this weather and then having a crappy drive home afterwards when you're wet and cold and miserable is no fun at all! We made up for it by booking into a few of the bigger shoots later in the year so things to look forward to.

Will Hewland

Not to mention saving £70

• Haha 1

Hamster

Left work an hour early yesterday which is pretty much unheard of for me, went to bed, ached all over this morning so couldn't go shooting, still wheezy and out of sorts. I'd swap places with the snowflakes in a heart beat. 😂    ❄️ 

• Like 4

Sian
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

Not to mention saving £70

Only bright side as I had two free pool shoot vouchers and a free sporting shoot voucher that had survived being washed and I had enough winnings to collect that it paid for a sporting and two Sportrap with change left over so at least I didn’t pay for my misery as such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

P1Fanatic
On 1/25/2019 at 5:03 PM, Will Hewland said:

You were one clay short. Good call!

Yep. Thought ah only 6 behind HG when looking at AA on 94 and then saw HG was 96 from A class (looking at previous scores they had a blinder of a day).

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who stayed home. Saw the forecast of 22mph winds, woke up and it was raining so went back to bed and do not regret it after reading the reports here. It did help having shot on Friday already.

Jeremy Baker
1 hour ago, P1Fanatic said:

Yep. Thought ah only 6 behind HG when looking at AA on 94 and then saw HG was 96 from A class (looking at previous scores they had a blinder of a day).

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who stayed home. Saw the forecast of 22mph winds, woke up and it was raining so went back to bed and do not regret it after reading the reports here. It did help having shot on Friday already.

Blinder is an understatement...

Shot 64 five days prior

• Haha 1

Will Hewland

FITASC at EJC today. Got near the ground and it was all snow on the ground, combined with very bright sun. An already tough course was made a bit tougher visually especially as we started at 9am. First time I have ever shot four layouts without a break, but it was fine actually.

I enjoyed it but scores were generally low and I think the verdict was that it was a bit too firm for mass appeal. Between 16 and 20 was all I could muster. Much of that could have been eased just by moving the third hoop nearer on some layouts. They are developing FITASC for when they hold the world champs later this year, so maybe the next few shoots will be in this vain?

B695EDCD-FC7A-43FC-A934-AC2952CB79D5.jpeg

FD8561CD-50D0-4DE4-8507-CCCB70E29AD0.jpeg

• Like 1

jasper

Still don't get why when we see world's in the title everyone goes barmy with hard targets..... Seen most of the top shots miss dolly birds at most shoots. 

Jasper. 

• Like 3

MartynB

So Will , what distances would the targets be from the shooter ? 

Will Hewland
7 minutes ago, MartynB said:

So Will , what distances would the targets be from the shooter ? 

Last layout had some closer ones, but these can be the toughest with full gun-down FITASC. The ones in the pictures weren’t long examples today, about 40 yards. There were a few further out. It’s not so much the extreme length but combine that with tricky angles and as a sim pair that robs the scores. There was a very long going away teal, probably shot at 60 yards and it was sent raffale on last peg! (Two in a row following).

• Thanks 1

Will Hewland

It was won on 87..

Hamster
19 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

It was won on 87..

Aaaaah.................just like the old days 😜  😌  said lots of self righteous people.....................90% of whom weren't even born or shooting then. 😂  😂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

jasper

Hold on I'm breaking out me Rose tints as we speak. And me skeet gun.

Edited by jasper
  • Thanks 1

Jeremy Baker

I thought it was a good shoot.

Hard for sure. 

A few targets weren't FITASC targets as two clear shots weren't realistic that would be by only criticism. 

Booked for the next.

• Thanks 1

jasper

Realistic??? I thought clay shooting as a whole was evolving into a more technical game.???😀😀 🤔

• Haha 1

Will Hewland
9 hours ago, Jeremy Baker said:

I thought it was a good shoot.

Hard for sure. 

A few targets weren't FITASC targets as two clear shots weren't realistic that would be by only criticism. 

Booked for the next.

I’ve booked again also, but for the 12pm slot. Sun was a problem at 9am on a very bright day. 

• Like 1

GlawsterOldCodger

On wednesday pm managed to swing up to Enstone  to shoot Oxfordshire SS small wid-week STR & ESP, looked very pretty with all the frost on ground & in trees, had a rude awakening in STR blanking first cage, quite possibly due to racing around like a headless chicken, re-shot the cage after completing round and found all 5 which was frustrating. As for the ESP in a squad of 6, which was a first there, in squad was four chaps Id never met before and as the day progressed we became a chatty group of pals. As for the shooting, managed to get more right than wrong, the ground is fibre only, used FBlack 8s through fixed 3/8ths, clays close & far one “vapourised” & chipped my way through so cant claim its a wonder or duff cartridge, I was more than happy with using it, only blight on day, and thats being over critical was the use of a rabbit target, the ground was so hard we all had a few no-birds, thankfully for me they were r/l rabbits which I quite enjoy, it was, towards the end getting very very cold and will admit to being plessed it was a 50 bird shoot, all done in just over an hour then a much needed tea.

Nick Portlock & his mucker Kev Childs shared HG on 46, 

Westward

Come on Richie don't be shy! Tell the world how you did. 👍

GlawsterOldCodger
1 hour ago, Westward said:

Come on Richie don't be shy! Tell the world how you did. 👍

STR 🤪 ESP 😊 had plenty of 🙁 days mind

chippy

Northampton today another excellent round. Only one stand that you shouldn't miss on, the rest were testing some were very testing. I hit at least one of every clay so all hitable and I finished on 83 

Sian
1 hour ago, chippy said:

Northampton today another excellent round. Only one stand that you shouldn't miss on, the rest were testing some were very testing. I hit at least one of every clay so all hitable and I finished on 83 

I shot like a mong  there but I rarely do well there.  Even targets I should get I was missing today.  Stand 4 only hit one of the first birds but to be honest my eyes just blur at things like that.  Did a lot better at Barrow, only one bird that was silly and simply because it was yellow, very hard for a lot of shooters to pick up, just saw it as it was dying near to the ground.  Only got one.  Really no need for yellow at all.

• Like 2

GlawsterOldCodger

Westfield Compak, bit blowy, so much so the 13st of me nearly over a few times, cant say I lost targets due to wind as Id more than likely lost them anyway, shot some well some not so, messed up a few sim pairs trying them “the wrong way round” all things said I had a good morning out.

• Like 1