Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Will Hewland

EJ Churchill reg today. Chilly but no wind, quite pleasant to shoot in. 

A good course with nothing horrible. It was a bit edgey in places but no problem. I met up with Hamid and we both tripped up a few times. I’m really pleased with my new glasses but they still are catching me out sometimes, cost me about 5 today, but progress is coming and  I’m looking forward to how I think I’ll be shooting in a month or two when I’m more dialled in to the picture. Finished on 89.

There will be a big HG score in later I reckon, but a great course for the huge entry. Car parks jammed.  

• Like 2

Sian

I think I must be too fussy as I thought it was a little disappointing at EJC, a lot of quartering, nothing of any magnitude, shoot almost at it, a battue that was absolutely the wrong colour, a good bird spoilt by whether you were lucky to see it and quite a few didn’t.  Got my last one by doing something I’ve never done before and took my glasses off for the last pair.  I think they’ve done much better.  Tony shot 93 and felt the same.  I shot 78 which is about the norm.

• Like 2

Will Hewland
16 minutes ago, Sian said:

I think I must be too fussy as I thought it was a little disappointing at EJC, a lot of quartering, nothing of any magnitude, shoot almost at it, a battue that was absolutely the wrong colour, a good bird spoilt by whether you were lucky to see it and quite a few didn’t.  Got my last one by doing something I’ve never done before and took my glasses off for the last pair.  I think they’ve done much better.  Tony shot 93 and felt the same.  I shot 78 which is about the norm.

Yes fair enough about the quartering. That’s what I meant by a bit edgey. It needed one or two really strong stands adding but was still decent if not their best. 

• Confused 1

Sian
2 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Yes fair enough about the quartering. That’s what I meant by a bit edgey. It needed one or two really strong stands adding but was still decent if not their best. 

From AAA down to C agreed too much quartering today.  Little things annoy me like the rabbit which was in the small area before grouse butt.   There was an end marker and we watched someone shoot it after the stop point, 4 scored.  Tony stepped in and asked if the marker was in use to be told yes mmm maybe mmm yes it is supposed to be.   So he asked the young ref why he wasn’t using it and his answer “well I can’t say much really”.    

• Haha 1

Will Hewland
10 minutes ago, Sian said:

From AAA down to C agreed too much quartering today.  Little things annoy me like the rabbit which was in the small area before grouse butt.   There was an end marker and we watched someone shoot it after the stop point, 4 scored.  Tony stepped in and asked if the marker was in use to be told yes mmm maybe mmm yes it is supposed to be.   So he asked the young ref why he wasn’t using it and his answer “well I can’t say much really”.    

I never saw a marker. Must have been shot down. 🤣

GlawsterOldCodger

EJC also, met chums Joe Hale & Sean Foley, say met I was a last minute dash (near 1 pm rock up) and the chaps kindly awaited my arrival, well they couldn't find a parking space then needed coffee sort of awaited me. We three bounced around the stands due to the odd q, one was up n down, too many of the too many l-r quartering escaped my lead far too often, also managed to drop 4 floppy simos (2 at st1 & 2 at St8) which was poor even of me, I did not think too much of st11 report coloured  quartering clays I found difficult to see, and the looper on st12 another eyesight test for me due to colour & low sun. Not the finest day Ive had at EJC but not the worst, we all three were of the opinion that more thought could have been used whilst setting course / choosing colours, however at end of day one went out & shot at a ground which generally gets the thumbs up from us so maybe we are being too critical?

• Thanks 1

Sian
34 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

I never saw a marker. Must have been shot down. 🤣

It took me a few goes to see it.

antse7en

Who's planning to be at Owls Lodge tomorrow? Be great to get round in less than 4 hours this time 😄

P1Fanatic

I had planned to until the wife reminded me we are meeting friends for lunch. Can't complain as it was in our calendar - I just had forgotten. Looking at Sunday it may have to be Gunsite which I have avoided as its usually a busy one.

Will Hewland

Owls is the plan. Thermal socks on..

wynno
4 minutes ago, P1Fanatic said:

I had planned to until the wife reminded me we are meeting friends for lunch. Can't complain as it was in our calendar - I just had forgotten. Looking at Sunday it may have to be Gunsite which I have avoided as its usually a busy one.

Gunsite is the week after, long ridge this week

• Like 2

P1Fanatic
2 minutes ago, wynno said:

Gunsite is the week after, long ridge this week

Thanks for that - I had not noticed the CPSA fixture list had rolled over to the 13th. No shooting for me this weekend then.

Will Hewland
1 minute ago, P1Fanatic said:

Thanks for that - I had not noticed the CPSA fixture list had rolled over to the 13th. No shooting for me this weekend then.

I think Northampton is nearest for us southerners.. Sunday lunch with in-laws for me..

• Like 1

schmokinn
52 minutes ago, antse7en said:

Who's planning to be at Owls Lodge tomorrow? Be great to get round in less than 4 hours this time 😄

Get there for 9.30 out on stand 4 9.50 then round to the end and shoot the first 3 stands after...you will be finished by 11 or so :biggrin:

Will Hewland

Owls busy again, took ages to get breakfast so didn’t start promptly. Big queues on 1 and 12 especially. Started OK, but just had a horror show with the long targets again. New specs I’m very good on the quick edgey stuff but died a death on most longer ones today. Still behind mostly.. dreadful score. I dropped 19 over 4 stands. 2 over the other 8.  Wasn’t an easy shoot, but that wasn’t the reason. I need to be philosophical for another month at least. 

Sian

Owls for us too on a chilly day but thankful for no wind and rain.  Started on stand 3 because I wanted to get the teal out of the way and got a full house. I enjoyed the round but royally messed up on stand 12 in the bowl.  I watched Tony get so many no birds and lose the plot really on what should have been a steady stand for him.  I just wasn’t with it and lost 6 on a 5 pair stand.  it was under half way through the shoot but I kept at it.  Dropped silly ones and then last stand which was 2 with a battue right to left out of the tree line dropping missed 3.  Finished on 83 and was frozen by the end but a bacon and egg sarnie and tea helped revive me.  Was still slightly annoyed by stand 12 but actually looking and comparing scores I did well.

• Thanks 2

diver682
Posted (edited)

First time I had shot sporting at owls today. Had a great day, good variation of targets, finished on 79 only had one nightmare stand, fast orange going away followed by a slow rabbit dropped six, language was a bit colourful to say the least. Will be back next month for some more 

Edited by diver682
  • Thanks 1

Sian

Garlands for us this last Sunday, lots of lovely birds which I didn't do justice to.  Have to be on your A game for Garlands and I think I forgot how to play ..  The pool shoot was very good also and I had fun with some testing ones.  I managed 15 twice so I was happy enough with that.  Bloody missed the easiest bird a couple of times and got some stonking far away (by the time I got to them) ones.

Steve Lovatt

Plus you got an express welly delivery Sian x

• Haha 1

Sian
8 hours ago, Steve Lovatt said:

Plus you got an express welly delivery Sian x

Yes thank you.  👍

Will Hewland

Me and 5 friends shot the EJ Churchill Challenge this morning, first ones to do so. It’s on until March 23rd, so you can enter as often as you like. It’s actually FOC the sixth time.. There will be a prize fund, maybe a finals day? All to be announced I think..

So, it is 8 stands of Supersporting, which means three traps in action per stand. You will shoot some on-report mixed pairs and some sim pairs, never the same thing twice, so a good bit of varied fun for us sporting shooters. There is also a very good 20 target sequence with longer targets from 6 traps, which I really enjoyed. 

Thoroughly recommended. For reference we all hit around our sporting averages, scores wise. I did 85 but tossed a daft four away on one stand so think I can do better as we always do.. It was a nice sunny day with no wind though. 

• Like 4

GlawsterOldCodger

Westfield Compak this am, twas a lot cooler than both Cirencester & the rather pleasant forecast thats for sure, not shot Compak, then very badly for 3 years, it was my very own winter of discontent with an ill fitting DT10 so my expectations were not high, shot 3/4 layouts 😊 and the last one I did struggle, Ive a real mental block on l-rs at mo and with half the layout being so it took a bit, but not much of the gloss off my morning. 

The shooting superstars were out early doors, they do make it all look rather easy, the result of many years hard toil and a abundance of talent to do so. 

• Like 1

tiptop
10 minutes ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

Westfield Compak this am, twas a lot cooler than both Cirencester & the rather pleasant forecast thats for sure, not shot Compak, then very badly for 3 years, it was my very own winter of discontent with an ill fitting DT10 so my expectations were not high, shot 3/4 layouts 😊 and the last one I did struggle, Ive a real mental block on l-rs at mo and with half the layout being so it took a bit, but not much of the gloss off my morning. 

The shooting superstars were out early doors, they do make it all look rather easy, the result of many years hard toil and a abundance of talent to do so. 

DT10? Where is the P shooter.

GlawsterOldCodger
40 minutes ago, tiptop said:

DT10? Where is the P shooter.

Opps sorry the DT10 was 2016, the three years ago, we didnt get on, I probably didnt explain that very well in posting, not ever letting P go, it aint gun that missed clays today, tis the plonker pulling its lovely trigger 😊

• Like 1

Will Hewland

Westfield ESP for me today. 

I did wonder if it might be a compromised course, because the Compak was also running today, but no problem, it was a good varied layout as usual. I’m settling in with my new glasses but still feel I might not have dropped 4 l-r crossers on one stand if I were fully dialled in to the picture, but gotta shoot through and it will come. I missed three orange quartering aways on stand 12 too, which needed more lead than I thought. Just a tricky angle. Other than that just a bit tatty dropping one or two here and there mostly, for 85. Enjoyed it.