Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

schmokinn
2 hours ago, Sian said:

EJC today and glad the rain stayed away although the gloomy light was a reminder of what’s to come over the next few months.  We started on the first Skeet range the yellow/green and the orange sim pair.  I started badly on this and got 4/10.  Never good for me to start so badly but I fought the urge to mope about it.  Enjoyed the round in good company ended badly on stand 12 dropping 3. Shot some good scores on stands in between.  Finished on 79.  Always good to see the usual reprobates going round.

79 seems to be your default score at the moment :wink:

Will Hewland
1 hour ago, Sian said:

We need to fatten you up, 

I will remember the time and date of when a woman said this to me. 😆

• Haha 1

Will Hewland

Honesberie today. It was chilly, annoyingly damp and the course was tough. But I enjoyed it! Had the usual 5 or 6 stupid misses on simpler targets that I’m doing lately, so my 82 should have been higher. Only one moan for the unfair clay on stand 6? A fully extended cherry picker was in front and left of the cage, throwing a full spring away target. I never touched it, like most people. One of the ground staff admitted it was daft. So felt rather like a 96 bird shoot. 

Bebo

Stayed local today, went to Mill Farm near Pevensey for a 70 bird practice.  I was shooting fairly well, but kept dropping a target every now and again.  Finished on 62 without straighting a single stand!

jasper

2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Honesberie today. It was chilly, annoyingly damp and the course was tough. But I enjoyed it! Had the usual 5 or 6 stupid misses on simpler targets that I’m doing lately, so my 82 should have been higher. Only one moan for the unfair clay on stand 6? A fully extended cherry picker was in front and left of the cage, throwing a full spring away target. I never touched it, like most people. One of the ground staff admitted it was daft. So felt rather like a 96 bird shoot. 

Agree with stand 6. Thought stand 9 was carp too. Impossible for the poor lass scoring to actually make a good call with black clays on a poor dark tree background at some people's  Kill point. She was asking us what the result was.🤔

Jasper.

Will Hewland
24 minutes ago, jasper said:

Agree with stand 6. Thought stand 9 was carp too. Impossible for the poor lass scoring to actually make a good call with black clays on a poor dark tree background at some people's  Kill point. She was asking us what the result was.🤔

Jasper.

Yes if you left them late it was tough. Can you believe I hit all the long ones and only the first closer one. Knob..

jasper

Well can't really say what we got or missed. 😣

Doug Pinnegar

After a partridge day yesterday it was a return to the clays today. Honesberie, for the series final. 

I really liked the shoot, I'll agree on stand 6 as I couldn't connect with it but I saw others manage it so obviously doable. I enjoyed stand 9, not often you get to shoot big gaps like that. Dropped two there where I didn't give them enough respect.

After a long journey home last night and an early start today I knew I wasn't going to be setting any records. Managed 72 which should have been closer to 80 without the sloppiness and lethargy. 

That's now the winter season started. Time to screw some extra choke in and try to sharpen up a bit 😃

Sian
5 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I got one 

Honesberie for us today.  Shot in the final in the blinking rain but managed after a shoot off with Amy to take second place.  I quite enjoyed the Sporting although I shot it poorly.  I liked both stand 6 and 9 but didn’t like the sim orange/pink going away missing 4 pink  - hard on my eyes those two together.  And with the orange one up the earth mound.   The floaty one on the stand by the little brook missed 3!  Think I used up all my concentration on the final.

• Like 2

Doug Pinnegar
1 hour ago, Sian said:

I got one 

Honesberie for us today.  Shot in the final in the blinking rain but managed after a shoot off with Amy to take second place.  I quite enjoyed the Sporting although I shot it poorly.  I liked both stand 6 and 9 but didn’t like the sim orange/pink going away missing 4 pink  - hard on my eyes those two together.  And with the orange one up the earth mound.   The floaty one on the stand by the little brook missed 3!  Think I used up all my concentration on the final.

As said earlier, bloody well done in the shoot off, Sian!

• Thanks 1

Sian
9 minutes ago, Doug Pinnegar said:

As said earlier, bloody well done in the shoot off, Sian!

Thank you, I have my moments 😊

Will Hewland

The Royal Berkshire Shooting School Royal Flush is back. I went today. It is five 20 bird layouts, with the scorer loading for you on each one.

The first is shot from a seat! I have never shot sat down before, so a bit of fun. Dropped three there.

Second one is the Grouse sequence that many will be familiar with. Happy with 19. 

Third one was shot with the sun right in your face at midday today. A real bummer as I am particularly bad when this happens, so I missed five which should have been one or two.. It made all the hold points unnatural, aside from the sheer glare. 

Fourth layout was a toughie that also had a massive sun problem today, so dropped another 6 which could have been 2 or 3.

Last layout was the big tower, where they have previously held the tower challenge shoot, but guess what, they have pushed the targets further out! One on the far right is a bit daft and looked like a black aspirin. Again, not actual sun in your face but a glaring sky. It may be a bit easier on a grey day. 10 out of 20 on here.. some other very decent shots were in single figures. 

So, 75. Potentially a really good event. I’ll go back I suppose, but I won’t waste my time or money on a sunny day.. Why RBSS? You have other positions to shoot from..

• Like 1

schmokinn

Podimore at the weekend a great set of targets,plenty of variation and quite a stiff course but still missed a few easy ones and felt like i left 10 out there.

That would have put me way out in front of class and beaten most AA,just lack consistency..all in a very enjoyable shoot.

Will Hewland

Owls Lodge this morning. Lovely sunny start, which became cloudy then a good downpour just as we had finished. Great timing.

A good course, tricky enough all round with no extreme stands or real easy ones either. As usual I cocked up a simple little sim teal stand, dropping 4 out of 10. Ruined a reasonable card and finished on 89. Some star names going out this afternoon, so I suspect a 94 HG. 

GlawsterOldCodger
18 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Owls Lodge this morning. Lovely sunny start, which became cloudy then a good downpour just as we had finished. Great timing.

A good course, tricky enough all round with no extreme stands or real easy ones either. As usual I cocked up a simple little sim teal stand, dropping 4 out of 10. Ruined a reasonable card and finished on 89. Some star names going out this afternoon, so I suspect a 94 HG. 

You AA boys are too harsh on yourselves, most and I do mean most of us wont put in a 89 ESP score, 89 is not a ruined card, its much more than reasonable, its quite a 👍 score really

• Thanks 2

Clynt
5 minutes ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

You AA boys are too harsh on yourselves, most and I do mean most of us wont put in a 89 ESP score, 89 is not a ruined card, its much more than reasonable, its quite a 👍 score really

think it's where sporting as found it's self ......big scores are the norm so if Will thought he missed 4 easier ones he wont be happy with 89 ?? what you can assume is if one shooter hits ,say 96 and he or she (pc) is 4 or 5 clear it was a shoot with a few testing stds ,and he or she has shot well, yet if it's won on 96+ and the trailing shooters are 4x95 5x94 etc it was more of a test of concentration ? and a enjoyable day out for the classes ? which in it's self brings in the punters ? 

• Like 1

Will Hewland

Yes sure, it’s just annoying missing 4 on a stand where most people were doing better than that..

I shot 11 stands fairly well, only two other misses that made me feel daft, so it’s disappointing to drop 4 where most B class will be 1 or 2 away. It’s all relative. 89 isn’t a bad score for me, but my poor performance on that stand will have tossed me out of the money territory.

GlawsterOldCodger
4 hours ago, Clynt said:

think it's where sporting as found it's self ......big scores are the norm so if Will thought he missed 4 easier ones he wont be happy with 89 ?? what you can assume is if one shooter hits ,say 96 and he or she (pc) is 4 or 5 clear it was a shoot with a few testing stds ,and he or she has shot well, yet if it's won on 96+ and the trailing shooters are 4x95 5x94 etc it was more of a test of concentration ? and a enjoyable day out for the classes ? which in it's self brings in the punters ? 

I see and can agree most of that, I do though see at a lot of our local reg shoots that the entry often has a fair few AA AAA & some of which are International shooters, these boys, and of course you yourself Clynt have shot for England you / they have honed thier skillset over many years and achieve / expect to shoot regular 90+ scores. One also sees many that hope to fast track to regular 90+ and dont appreciate / value a 80+ score as much as they should. 

• Like 1

antse7en

Long Siberia at Bisley tomorrow, summary to follow! Fingers crossed on the weather front. 

Will Hewland
11 minutes ago, antse7en said:

Long Siberia at Bisley tomorrow, summary to follow! Fingers crossed on the weather front. 

Their club shoot? That still going?

philmoss
6 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Yes sure, it’s just annoying missing 4 on a stand where most people were doing better than that..

I shot 11 stands fairly well, only two other misses that made me feel daft, so it’s disappointing to drop 4 where most B class will be 1 or 2 away. It’s all relative. 89 isn’t a bad score for me, but my poor performance on that stand will have tossed me out of the money territory.

Thought you always went birds only ??

Will Hewland
1 hour ago, philmoss said:

Thought you always went birds only ??

Ha ha. Not always. I did today. Even if my dreams had come true I wasn’t going to beat Rudling King, Myers etc.. 

• Like 1

Bebo

Nothing Registered on locally, so went up to Dartford for a practice round with the OH and Woody off here.  Nothing too extreme in terms of targets (or that's how it felt to me anyway).  Finished on an 88, could have been a 91 if I hadn't dropped three on the last stand.  Was the easier of the two birds as well.  Never mind, onwards and upwards.

woody

Second time shooting my new gun and only my 5th shoot (I think) of 2018.

Really looking forward to getting back into it properly and going to registered shoots and places that put on trickier and more testing targets. 

Loads of rustyness after a year away but already in the last two weeks I've chipped away at some bad habits. 

Not too displeased with a 64 

Bebo
1 hour ago, woody said:

Second time shooting my new gun and only my 5th shoot (I think) of 2018.

Really looking forward to getting back into it properly and going to registered shoots and places that put on trickier and more testing targets. 

Loads of rustyness after a year away but already in the last two weeks I've chipped away at some bad habits. 

Not too displeased with a 64 

First time I've ever seen anyone trying to cuddle their gun at the same time they are shooting with it 😉

• Haha 1