Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

bisondan
5 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I did Southdown premier league shoot, which was busy enough but not mad. Absolutely no feel of a Prem shoot. No CPSA staff, no banners. Not that I’m too fussed either way..

A decent shoot with some stiff stands added to lots of medium level ones. A bit odd the way it was all compressed into lower half of the valley, with several stands being back to back on each side of the track, so a bit distracting as it all sounded so close. 

I had a long day yesterday and felt very dozy in the first few stands, just wasn’t with it at all. Tossed about 5 silly losses in very early on before managing to wake up and shoot reasonably on last 8 stands for an 86. Frustrating but could have been worse.

The Premier League seems to have lost its way, nobody from the CPSA has been at the last 2 shoots.

Will Hewland
22 minutes ago, bisondan said:

The Premier League seems to have lost its way, nobody from the CPSA has been at the last 2 shoots.

I never really got it. Personally, I think they should just let it quietly die.. All a bit pointless and a sign of how the CPSA don’t quite understand their shooters. Clubs are the last thing that unites a load of self centred shooters. Without a massive club incentive, why would this work.. The CPSA staff are great folk, but this is a concept without a firm grasp.

Bebo
8 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

I never really got it. Personally, I think they should just let it quietly die.. All a bit pointless and a sign of how the CPSA don’t quite understand their shooters. Clubs are the last thing that unites a load of self centred shooters. Without a massive club incentive, why would this work.. The CPSA staff are great folk, but this is a concept without a firm grasp.

I quite like it.  I enjoy the opportunity to shoot at West London, for example.  And the extra Saturday Registered shoots at other grounds.

Will Hewland
8 minutes ago, Bebo said:

I quite like it.  I enjoy the opportunity to shoot at West London, for example.  And the extra Saturday Registered shoots at other grounds.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the shoots themselves and it’s brilliant where it has encouraged grounds to participate who would not have otherwise. WLSS even gave me a nice win! Bisley were there, but sadly dropped out. Just the actual league part I can’t really make sense of.. 120 entries today is an all time low?

Bebo
31 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the shoots themselves and it’s brilliant where it has encouraged grounds to participate who would not have otherwise. WLSS even gave me a nice win! Bisley were there, but sadly dropped out. Just the actual league part I can’t really make sense of.. 120 entries today is an all time low?

Only 120?  I thought it would be busy, especially as Gatton Bottom was the quietest I think I've ever seen it.

• Sad 1

Markh701

Wasn’t barbury and Krieghoff on today as well? Too few individual scores count for your premier league team at each shoot so quite a few enter but don’t bother to attend after the first couple of shoots as they don’t contribute. A lot of miles driving to the various grounds and yet some home clubs have put a Reg shoot on when their team is meant to be competing away somewhere!! 

Sian
3 minutes ago, Markh701 said:

Wasn’t barbury and Krieghoff on today as well? Too few individual scores count for your premier league team at each shoot so quite a few enter but don’t bother to attend after the first couple of shoots as they don’t contribute. A lot of miles driving to the various grounds and yet some home clubs have put a Reg shoot on when their team is meant to be competing away somewhere!! 

Barbury, Perazzi and the shoot in Holland - busy.

• Like 1

schmokinn

You also have to take into account location,the possible weather and the fact that loads of people just do not like shooting at Southdown i know several shooters that will not go there and i can understand why "Southdown Breakdown" being commonly heard.

The none attendance by the CPSA is just a symptom of the complete lack of understanding that the company has of shooters ,i say company because it is now just about profit and not about the memberships experience....association only in name.

We haven't had many but our regional director hasn't turned up to a meeting in over 18 months,critical emails little else.

And we have a new CEO that is a "management consultant" so he will be all about the money......incidentally anyone seen or heard of him in the real world yet?

Will Hewland

I enjoyed Southdown because I rarely shoot there, so it was “different” for me. There were a few no birds on the course. I saved stand 1 for last and when I got there they were replacing a trap, which they did fairly quickly but it took a good while for the frustrated scorer to badger the staff to get the target to be similar to before. Pretty sure it was never made as easy as before as I could see where the clays had landed earlier. I was glad to straight it after a big wait.

Sian

I couldn't do the Premier League as originally planned as I had to change shooting the Perazzi from Saturday to Sunday.  It was a very good shoot with plenty to catch you out.  I didn't shoot particularly well and the first course I just couldn't get my act together but just went out to enjoy it which I did.  It rained a little on and off but nothing major at least not for Wales.  It was good to be back home in Wales, a lot more green there.  

• Like 3

Doug Pinnegar
3 hours ago, schmokinn said:

You also have to take into account location,the possible weather and the fact that loads of people just do not like shooting at Southdown i know several shooters that will not go there and i can understand why "Southdown Breakdown" being commonly heard.

The none attendance by the CPSA is just a symptom of the complete lack of understanding that the company has of shooters ,i say company because it is now just about profit and not about the memberships experience....association only in name.

We haven't had many but our regional director hasn't turned up to a meeting in over 18 months,critical emails little else.

And we have a new CEO that is a "management consultant" so he will be all about the money......incidentally anyone seen or heard of him in the real world yet?

I met him at the Game Fair, seemed like a nice chap. Didn’t have a proper conversation, just exchanged a few passing words; so no idea about his level of passion and drive for shooting. 

Back on topic...no shooting for me this weekend. Been exploring Romania and the Carpathian Mountains.

Edited by Doug Pinnegar

westley
On 3/31/2018 at 9:58 PM, balltrap said:

It's  personal  expectations that make people go on a downer after a shoot ! I once went to brookbank which is 300 miles away, I thought I shot sh*t, had a long drive home with a bottom lip like a Volvo bumper only to find a cheque  in the post a few days later.

Was THAT to stop you from going back  ?   :pleasantry:

• Haha 1

Will Hewland

Oh yeah, the other thing with the Prem League; CPSA keep not putting me in the team results. I told them after two shoots but have stopped bothering. Sigh..

schmokinn

As i have told them before if they had to run a real business where people don't just give you money they would have gone bankrupt very quickly!