Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Will Hewland

Weston Wood.. Busy as usual and a good course as ever. Not sure I would have gone if I’d known how cold I would have got. Same for everybody, but I could feel I couldn’t move and react as well as usual. Also I got unlucky with some no birds, which put me off one or two, again, something I would overcome on a good day.. Managed 88 but it felt hard to do today for me.

Bebo

Just home from Court Farm. Managed to avoid the M25 carnage by taking a diversion through Redhill and Godstone.

Was quite wind affected. I fluffed a couple of the easier stands but then did well on some of the trickier ones. Managed a 71. Not bad after dropping 5 on the first stand. Could have been better but missed the first two pairs on Stand 12 overleading, only to rein it in and smash the rest.

Edited by Bebo
autocorrect error
  • Thanks 1

matt s

Weston Wood for me today,very busy so a lot of standing about.made a mess of one stand dropping three,pink incomer followed by right to left rabbit,couldn’t see either clearly where i wanted to shoot them.I’m colour blind so they don’t light up as well for me against a wooded background,rest of the shoot shot ok apart from silly one aways,finished on 89 so happy enough.looking forward to Gunsite next weekend ?

• Thanks 1

jasper

Kegworth for us, for a pretty uninspiring round. Didn't  shoot well.

Home now ,totally underwhelmed.

Looking forward to gunsite next week.

Jasper 

Edited by jasper

PKB

Court Farm, 11 stands with 5/6 of them facing a low winter sun (may have time we shot it).  Targets freaquenly wind effected. Numerous referees who appeared to be no more than 15 yrs of age and no idea what they were doing. Car park no go area apart from 4x4s. Lost will to live after a few stands. Apart from that, it was OK.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

chippy

Orston today an 85 for me which included five straight stands which has been somewhat of a rarity of late.

GlawsterOldCodger

WestonWood also, oversleeping then breaking thr Mrs Vape machine, so flea in ear which didnt bode well.

Started, and one was on my tod at noon, finished at 3.30, big entry, lots of waiting, got cold, knees knocked and MrArthur Rightus played merry hell with my right paw, started reasonably well, as ever one does like tobe out shooting so it was all with a smile, was going like a train (for me) until a combination of waiting / cold / lack of ability sae me drop 13/26 to end on 70 which im ? with.

Lots of superstars there, screen not working so no idea of high gun / class scores

Word of praise for the scorers young & old they all looked frozen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

schmokinn

7/11 stands into the winter sun today plus some wind affected one stand ridiculously and a load of no birds made it a shoot i want to forget.....quickly!

2 or 3 stands were literally guess work and even the scorers couldn't tell,just guessed when to pull the trigger on at least 20 birds as unable to tell where the clay was :frown:

No idea why he set it up like that as he knows how to work around it so downright bloody stupid really!

Bebo
2 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

7/11 stands into the winter sun today plus some wind affected one stand ridiculously and a load of no birds made it a shoot i want to forget.....quickly!

2 or 3 stands were literally guess work and even the scorers couldn't tell,just guessed when to pull the trigger on at least 20 birds as unable to tell where the clay was :frown:

No idea why he set it up like that as he knows how to work around it so downright bloody stupid really!

Court Farm?  

schmokinn
14 minutes ago, Bebo said:

Court Farm?  

No Podimore.

Always an issue as he has to shoot  away from some complainers but another few degrees clockwise on at least on at least 5 of the stands and higher or lower targets and it would have been much better.

Was probably better first thing but then some of the others were probably worse.

Winter months have always been a problem historically but never this bad :???:

Shot Court Farm a couple of months ago last doors and the last 5 stands along the bottom were bad but today at Podimore was in a league of its own.

Andy Moon was superhuman today to card a 98 think he was finishing as we started!

Bebo

I wondered because of the previous post.  We started just after 10 at Court Farm and had no problems with the sun.  Won't mention the wind though (knew I shouldn't have had chicken dhansak last night).

• Haha 1

Sian

Four counties first for 50bird Open - bloody freezing and quite windy then on to Westonwood where after four or five stands I resorted to shooting in my thermal vest.  I just could not get on with my jumper.  I hate the amount of clothes in winter.  I envy those that seem to be able to shoot in Layers of clothes.    Pretty poor show by me.

• Like 1

Will Hewland
39 minutes ago, Sian said:

Four counties first for 50bird Open - bloody freezing and quite windy then on to Westonwood where after four or five stands I resorted to shooting in my thermal vest.  I just could not get on with my jumper.  I hate the amount of clothes in winter.  I envy those that seem to be able to shoot in Layers of clothes.    Pretty poor show by me.

The right coat is critical. totally agree you can’t wear thick clothing. I have a Sasta coat which is light, soft and so comfortable. I had a T shirt, a normal shirt and that coat today and was warm in the body. (Just eyes, nose and fingers suffered)

Bebo

Thin layers is the thing.  I had a long sleeve thermal, polo shirt, fairly thin craghoppers fleece and a golfing windshirt over the top.  Just extremities that were cold.  Even saved my hands by wearing thick mittens and taking them off to shoot.

• Like 1

Missedit

Shot at mainstone hill, very cold and windy but it sounds like everyone was battling with the conditions. A poor score from me but I'm getting better at reading clays and becoming  more confident with making changes when I miss. I find it a tough shoot up there but I feel like I'm learning each time. A friendly bunch and some good fluffy rabbits.

Edited by Missedit
Spell checked turned fluffy rabbits into fluffy rabbits!
  • Like 3

schmokinn

Thermals,rugby top,thin thermal fleece and a big coat and gloves between stands...still felt bloody cold at times!

P1Fanatic

Ah I had not noticed the new thread had moved here.

I also went to Court Farm. There is very little shelter there so the clays were all over the place. The going away on 10 was more like ABT. Was actually happy finishing on 76.

Was glad I got there early as parked near the exit and got away early before the main route got muddied up even more as was some deep ruts and soft mud. Even then I had to wait for a van that was stuck get towed up. The some chap is his RR sport booted it in and managed to slide all over the place.

Bebo
3 minutes ago, P1Fanatic said:

The going away on 10 was more like ABT. Was actually happy finishing on 76.

I annoyingly dropped two of those, stood watching them and shot underneath.

What did you think of the first bird on the stand before?  Had a long wait and saw lots of people struggling with it, but I managed to find it straight away.  Think people were giving it too much.

P1Fanatic

I hit first one and missed the rest. Missed 2 of the L-R also over leading. Walked down the hill and looked back at first bird and it was coming in rather than crossing so would agree I and others overleading.

Then to stand 8 simo R-L I missed first two pairs then slapped myself and hit the rest. So I dropped 9 over those 2 stands alone :(

Bebo
1 hour ago, P1Fanatic said:

I hit first one and missed the rest. Missed 2 of the L-R also over leading. Walked down the hill and looked back at first bird and it was coming in rather than crossing so would agree I and others overleading.

Then to stand 8 simo R-L I missed first two pairs then slapped myself and hit the rest. So I dropped 9 over those 2 stands alone :(

Hit all of the first birds on 8 and 2 of the second (overled the ones I missed, rather than just getting under them).  Only dropped the last incoming crosser on 9.  I think most of what I missed I missed in front (apart from the bloody teal where I kept stopping the gun to watch them float about).  It was unforgivable that I missed the first two pairs on 12 (too far under the mini and twice the lead I needed on the crosser).

Doug Pinnegar

An enjoyable weekend of shooting for me.

Saturday was a trip to Edgehill for some skeet practice. I managed 45/50, 90%. Quite pleased for only my second attempt at it. Checked the CPSA classifications and 90% is still C class :lol:

Sunday was a VERY cold trip to Weston Wood for one of the longest shoots I've ever done at just over 3.5 hours to get round. It really did seem like a mega mega entry as every stand was packed. 

The real cold and long waits didn't help the concentration and lead to lots of silly misses and poor target reading towards the end. Ended on 73/100 which is a bit depressing considering the effort it took to complete the round.

Despite the poor score, I was really pleased with how the new gun felt and getting used to mounting it.

• Thanks 1

P1Fanatic
2 hours ago, Bebo said:

Hit all of the first birds on 8 and 2 of the second (overled the ones I missed, rather than just getting under them).  Only dropped the last incoming crosser on 9.  I think most of what I missed I missed in front (apart from the bloody teal where I kept stopping the gun to watch them float about).  It was unforgivable that I missed the first two pairs on 12 (too far under the mini and twice the lead I needed on the crosser).

Stand 11 (there was no 12) was the only one I managed to straight. That battue required very little lead and the mini I shot straight at it. I reckon if we combined together we would have a great card ?

Bebo
1 hour ago, P1Fanatic said:

Stand 11 (there was no 12) was the only one I managed to straight. That battue required very little lead and the mini I shot straight at it. I reckon if we combined together we would have a great card ?

Sorry, yes Stand 11.  I managed to straight Stand 2 (the looper going away over the trees) and only dropped one on the stand in the corner (amazingly got all of the white ones), so yes, sounds like we could have put a pretty good card together if we'd picked the best parts from each of ours!

GlawsterOldCodger

Owls today, went early with Bunter, not as busy as the Christmas shoot, started and shot straight through 1-12 in less than 1.5hrs, a first stand straight was not repeated and Bunter had a mare of a day, pair of us just not at all with it, dropping targets aplomb, st9 5 pairs of a simo l-r midi & r-l standard caused grief to everyone I saw shoot it, some gave the midi up trying and failing to double barrel the standard, Old Codger despite too many poor stands too the family honours. 

Rich King 95 was high gun when we left, only 3 scores of 90 or above in at the time, and 81 was winning C by 11 clays ? that chap, again that was when we left.

Roll on next shoot, already going “cold turkey”

• Thanks 1

Westward
29 minutes ago, Rich Moreing said:

Roll on next shoot, already going “cold turkey”

Gunsite beckons for tomorrow eh Rich?