Mk38 sporter vs trap

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney

Hi peeps im currently shooting a grade one mk38 sporter first gun but want to upgrade to 32" barrels and adjustable comb pref in a grade 5 I shot a trap version and shot ok with it question is, am I at a disadvantage using the trap version over sporter I would want it multichoked pref im pretty tall with a long neck im not sure what sight picture I should be seeing with the trap gun I saw alot of rib maybe too much?

Thanks tom

I have said many times , gunshops are full of used sporterised  trap guns .        get a sporter m/c   and adj comb       that ticks all the boxes .  

Out of interest why do they make a trap variant with adj comb but not sporter 

Hi peeps im currently shooting a grade one mk38 sporter first gun but want to upgrade to 32" barrels and adjustable comb pref in a grade 5 I shot a trap version and shot ok with it question is, am I at a disadvantage using the trap version over sporter I would want it multichoked pref im pretty tall with a long neck im not sure what sight picture I should be seeing with the trap gun I saw alot of rib maybe too much?

Thanks tom
You really need to shoot an example of each one side by side and then decide otherwise you're just going to get advice that's tainted by others preferences. I for instance prefer a Trap sight picture (having shot low combed sporters for years) because experience has taught me that they have several advantages including a "cleaner" less restricted view of what's occurring around you as you execute the shot plus they help combat head lifting, a huge contributory factor to erratic performance. 

What's a lot of rib ? Just because it's more than what you're used to doesn't mean it's "too" much. I've shouldered Trap guns with "less rib" than Sporters, in fact I have just bought one such DT10 with plans to do several changes to optimise the gun for me, the same gun will be perfectly shootable by hundreds of other shooters who prefer a similar set up, I really believe that. 

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on matters guns and have to say I'm baffled by Dr. Lecter's assertion,  what exactly is a sporterised Trap gun anyway, merely taking a Trap gun (whose comb may not even be high in the first place) and shaving 3 mm off and putting in multi chokes (which many Trap guns come with anyway) or changing the butt pad to a different profile is hardly remarkably different to what you may do with any gun in the pursuit of your desired spec. 

Thanks hamster I think I will have to try them side by side I find with my gun I have to cover the clay with the barrels if I sit it above the bead I miss thats what it feels like anyway?

I was looking at this same option a couple of years ago.

The 32" mk38 sporter is incredibly muzzle heavy compared to the trap gun, the trap is very nicely balanced. The sporter is steel shot proof though and factory multi choked the trap gun is not. The trap gun has a fairly high comb and some adjustables with palm swell. The sporter is low comb, fixed and standard grip.

I couldn't get the combination right with either mk38 for what I wanted, so I went with a grade 5 725 instead which ticked most boxes, and have then added a beavertail forend. I now have a lovely balanced gun with steel shot proof, browning ds chokes, palm swell and mechanical trigger. Only thing it would benefit from is an adjustable comb but it happens to suit me as it is in any case.

I will also take alook at the browning pro sport not sure what that's like in comparison. Thanks for your help.

I will also take alook at the browning pro sport not sure what that's like in comparison. Thanks for your help.
The pro sports and pro traps are basically the same but with the addition of stock and barrel weights to adjust the gun to suit the balance you require. They are a little heavier than the standard guns though for some reason as well, the engraving is a lot more attractive on the grade 5, depends in it you like the plain black actions on the pro's.

I’ve just finished having a GD5 32” trap gun sorted out .  It is a pleasure to shoot , The first thing I did was find a nice used example , 2 years old that had hardly been shot .

I steered clear of  “pre-sporterised “ used examples, particularly those where the comb had been “lowered” , I’d advise you to do the same,  you want the gun to fit you . not buy someone else’s  ( delete as applicable) project / wish list/ abortion   .

The multichoke bit is easy. Teague Precision Chokes will turn it around in a couple of weeks , if you get 3/8 and 5/8 chokes in the mix of chokes , those two can tackle just about everything a decent shoot will put on with confidence . 

The clever bit is the gunfitting, if you are going to be investing a significant piece of change in the gun,  £40 or £50 to have the fit checked is peanuts , it’s only a 100 missed targets .

I shoot better “ head up “ and find the standard trap stock height just fine .  I don’t consciously see the rib when shooting , but if I do test mount the gun I just see the mid bead buried in the bottom on the front bead. 

What the gunfitting did highlight is that some cast off would centre the point of aim , and also that I needed a longer stock . This was accomplished by replacing the curved pad with a Kickeez and spacer .  If your heart is set on an adjustable comb get a good gun fitter to set it up then throw away the Allen key !  If you find a nice gun with the standard stock , £250 will get it  fitted , bent as needed , and a sporting pad .  I’ve avoided any further mods as the gun looks and shoots “just so “ and would not be out of place on a driven day 

The 32 “  Teague-ed barrels are IMHO much more dynamic to shoot  than the 32” sporter barrels ( my buddy has the sporter ) with factory multichokes , this is particularly noticeable shooting  from gun down.  

I have a total of £3150 invested in this gun , and I won’t make the mistake I did  with my last one 22 years ago of selling  the thing to fund my Krieghoff !  

Don’t be put off the trap gun , properly sorted it could be the only gun you ever need . 

You really need to shoot an example of each one side by side and then decide otherwise you're just going to get advice that's tainted by others preferences. I for instance prefer a Trap sight picture (having shot low combed sporters for years) because experience has taught me that they have several advantages including a "cleaner" less restricted view of what's occurring around you as you execute the shot plus they help combat head lifting, a huge contributory factor to erratic performance. 

What's a lot of rib ? Just because it's more than what you're used to doesn't mean it's "too" much. I've shouldered Trap guns with "less rib" than Sporters, in fact I have just bought one such DT10 with plans to do several changes to optimise the gun for me, the same gun will be perfectly shootable by hundreds of other shooters who prefer a similar set up, I really believe that. 

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on matters guns and have to say I'm baffled by Dr. Lecter's assertion,  what exactly is a sporterised Trap gun anyway, merely taking a Trap gun (whose comb may not even be high in the first place) and shaving 3 mm off and putting in multi chokes (which many Trap guns come with anyway) or changing the butt pad to a different profile is hardly remarkably different to what you may do with any gun in the pursuit of your desired spec. 
definition of sporterised trap gun   usually  lowered comb height ,    and multichoked barrels ,    gunshops  usually have a few for sale .     why not buy a sporter  that's built for the job ,  a few people on here  talk about balance  ,  and stock dimensions  etc etc     well they must be highly sensitive souls   , how many years of shooting   before  people know what they want / need .  ? if superb microscopic gun fit   and balance + choke and  correct cartridge choice  guaranteed   AA  class    we would all be AA . 

Im gonna take a visit to brierly guns and have alook at the bloxham special although I dont think I can try one

Im gonna take a visit to brierly guns and have alook at the bloxham special although I dont think I can try one
No maybe not but you will be able to directly compare browning 725 and ultra xs pro worth a look too?  Brett is a top man.

Jasper.

I’ve just finished having a GD5 32” trap gun sorted out .  It is a pleasure to shoot , The first thing I did was find a nice used example , 2 years old that had hardly been shot .

The clever bit is the gunfitting, if you are going to be investing a significant piece of change in the gun,  £40 or £50 to have the fit checked is peanuts , it’s only a 100 missed targets .
Martyn, can I ask 'who and where'  did/was the fitting  ? 

No Problem Westley , I had the gun Fettled by Nigel Teague .,When I bought the gun I knew it was shorter than I liked . I had a mk 38 20 odd years ago and that was fitted by Mike Meggison at Kelbrook Lodge . He is still about and is also an excellent coach and gun fitter ,  ( Kelbrook  though  send the work out . )

However  I was down in the Cotswolds to pick the gun up and I knew  I’ve always needed quite a bit of cast on a gun so with Nigel Teague recommended by forum members I headed there as he could also do the  Woodwork alterations after assessing my mount and point of aim.  I think the cost broke down to £ 50 for the fitting time  , £120 for the pad ,spacer  fixing and stock oiling( as the pad was ground to the stock). and £80 for the bending . 

Just after buying the gun I’d used the pattern plate at Coniston at 30 and 20 yards . From gun down , mount , fire , the impact was left of centre . Today back on the plate post alterations the impact was central 

Ps . Dr Lecter , I’ve been shooting shotguns for 45 years . I shoot an adjustable Monte Carlo on my K80  sporter . I know what I personally want from a gun, and I prefer a gun to “fit “ (especially when I’m putting 3 grand into it ) rather than me compensating because I’m not the industry standard 5’ 10” / 13 stone .  . I know what feels right to me and I know what feels a dog to me . But each to their own and I’m sure many never consider or bother and fair play to them. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back