Choking on a decision part deux

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

Hopefully this won't come across as too much of a moan at Ceasar Guerrini but regulars may remember I was hoping to change decades long allegiances from Beretta to CG by purchasing one of their Invictus M spec guns. Well it took 3 weeks before my RFD managed to get a price out of them for my request to be sent one with Trap adj stock and beavertail Trap fore end plus same again but in V Pheasant side plate both choked 1/2 & 3/4, after that it took another 4 excruciating weeks of waiting and waiting and promises and extremely confusing and contradictory information including at one point being told 3 guns had been boxed ready for dispatch including a standard multi choke Invictus that I could actually shoot. These simply wouldn't materialise and further excuses would include ParcelForce being unable to collect said parcels due to snow...........................eventually I rang them myself and spoke to gentleman X who promised gentleman Y will call me by 5 pm that day and when gentleman Y didn't, I called again and had another 15+ minute somewhat surreal conversation where I  had to regurgitate what had already supposedly been discussed and agreed a dozen times before but somehow nobody knew anything about !

Anywho, we agreed and I was promised that a regular black action 32" M spec and a sideplate version both with adj wood would be with my RFD within 36 hours. I wasn't unduly surprised or upset when a message informed me that they had sent a standard black action as a gunsmith wasn't available to swap wood around.
I eventually after 7 weeks managed to see and handle these guns and sadly have had to give the idea a miss despite being raring to go ahead with the purchase. The reasons are thus : 
The black action stock is way too low and the overall weight came in at 7.8 lbs, i.e, too light as well, the wood quality was average at best, I'm sure plenty of people might like it but a serious high volume tool would need to be over 8 lbs in my opinion, the other reason I didn't take to it is the good dollop of cast it appeared to have, resting the gun on its heel and looking down at it via the closed barrels confirmed there was a good bit of cast, not something that would necessarily hold anyone back but it wasn't right for me. The chokes on this gun appeared to gauge 3/4 in both barrels.

The sideplate had lovely engraving and being equipped with an adj stock and beavertail fore end tipped the scales at well over a pound heavier and felt much better, it also seemed to have less cast and the rib picture felt no worse for it. Both guns have such good ribs that the sight picture is exactly what I would want but again even this gun was too low (as I had already tried my best to explain to gentleman Y) even with the comb yanked up half an inch or more it felt like a low combed gun, not just my feeling either as a very capable shot who prefers slightly Trappy combs confirmed. To top it all the wood figuring and quality was in my view rather poor for what I have come to expect from even regular CG guns never mind one over £5k and so well engraved. The barrels on this gun appeared to gauge 1/2 & 3/4 - very surprising as I had been told all their guns came in as 3/4 & Full and would be bored out per customer request after purchase ! Both guns had nice light barrels which was something I was after. 

Now my real gripe apart from the rather long winded customer service is why CG are incapable of fitting an actual Trap stock to these, I was even told that a Trap stock cannot physically be fitted to the M spec Invictus  :???:  which technically means that CG are unable to supply a low rib Trap configured Invictus, something I find bizarre. During the initial numerous phone calls they had apparently told my RFD that they will be able to supply such a stock but that since it would be taken off one that was designed to be fitted to a mid rib gun, that it would probably feel all wrong, judging by the low comb of the guns that did arrive I'd say anything higher would be an improvement - anyway how very odd and most definitely a contributory factor to my decision not to purchase because I could see I wasn't going to get on with either long term. 

So there we are, the only glimmer of hope and good news is that I will be test driving a very lightly used DT10 Trap gun being sold on by a young local shot who found out he will be getting a sponsored gun just after purchasing it a few weeks ago, if things work out I shall be sending it away to ease out the chokes as it's currently almost shooting bullets and turning the action into a selective one, will keep you posted. 

wow.......

you could of course save yourself about 4k on a new cg and look at the Lincoln sideplate elite ? just a thought.

Sorry to hear that Hammy.......sounds like you’ve been patient to the extreme, and then only to be disappointed in the end must have really pit the seal on it. 

Good luck with the DT10....I must admit that was the only one I really considered as it felt nicer (to me) than the ‘11.

Keep us posted and have a good Christmas. 

There's someone in Essex thats got one of those weird stocks that you seem to like,for sale to fit a DT10.
I'd only have to buy the grip part anyway as the main mechanism is interchangeable, the thing is though I'm trying to go back to a wooden stock as never really liked the grip on the plastic one but if I do get the DT10 I will fit a proper recoil reducer to it along the same theme as the PFS.

Sorry to hear that Hammy.......sounds like you’ve been patient to the extreme, and then only to be disappointed in the end must have really pit the seal on it. 

Good luck with the DT10....I must admit that was the only one I really considered as it felt nicer (to me) than the ‘11.

Keep us posted and have a good Christmas. 
Yes quite disappointed to be honest as CG have caught my attention for a long while now, there is a LOT right with the Invictus M spec which in a way makes it even more maddening, for me though the std one needs beefing up weight wise and at the very least CG need to offer a high comb version. The sideplate is very nearly there bar, again, the low comb. 

Why don't you do it properly and buy a Perazzi? No compromises, no make-do. Measured, manufactured,  job done.

Why don't you do it properly and buy a Perazzi? No compromises, no make-do. Measured, manufactured,  job done.
I have shot quite a few of them as it happens but I just don't think they're worth the new asking prices, the second hand ones start around £4500 and to put it bluntly there are better buys out there new and used. 

I don't dislike any make least of all Perazzi but mine is not an emotional choice, I don't need to own a Krieghoff or Perazzi before I die, I want a solid gun with certain attributes.

To be honest I think you have had a lucky escape. I was recently looking at a new invictus ascent, the gun shop asked what I was going to trade from "grade 5 725" shop owner screws his face up with a reply of "you'll not like the quality of the caesar". I mounted and opened and closed a brand new gun, looked really good, felt solid and mounted nice, I though lovely gun here we go.

He then said now have a look at this second hand trap invictus, shot around 10,000 shells. Well I can only say it felt awful, very loose and clunky, I passed it to a mate and he had the same response "If you sell your browning for something that feels that bad after 10,000 shells, your crazy!"

My only conclusion was that they have made it renewable because it needs it be. Don't know how other people's guns have worn, but this one put me right off. Shame really because it was a lovely looking outfit.

Preferably one that fits you
That's the other thing with P guns, most are of course going to be sporters but when you do find a Trap stocked gun it tends to be 29.5" which is a definite no no for me as well as the fact the trap ones often have mid height rib tubes too, some also have bottom barrel multi choked, I'm trying hard to go fixed. 

The easiest Perazzi route to get something that I feel comfortable with is a 32" MX2000 but I'd then have to spend even more to get a Trap stock, even second hand you'll be nudging £6-£7k territory, the DT10 by contrast is miles cheaper and has proved itself to be at least as durable (being charitable here)  :smile: . 

Hammie, If you are interested, I have just listed my gun on Gun Trader yesterday, its an MX12, nickel action, 32" fixed choke 5-8 3/4 fitted with isis recoil reducer and adjustable comb.  It is a very high stock as I normally have to have a trap stock too.  If you would like photos, message me, its £4,500 and I am in Tunbridge Wells.  I often see you at Greenfields, Churchills etc.

To be honest I think you have had a lucky escape. I was recently looking at a new invictus ascent, the gun shop asked what I was going to trade from "grade 5 725" shop owner screws his face up with a reply of "you'll not like the quality of the caesar". I mounted and opened and closed a brand new gun, looked really good, felt solid and mounted nice, I though lovely gun here we go.

He then said now have a look at this second hand trap invictus, shot around 10,000 shells. Well I can only say it felt awful, very loose and clunky, I passed it to a mate and he had the same response "If you sell your browning for something that feels that bad after 10,000 shells, your crazy!"

My only conclusion was that they have made it renewable because it needs it be. Don't know how other people's guns have worn, but this one put me right off. Shame really because it was a lovely looking outfit.
Funny the way it goes. About a year ago I tried a 725 dealer demo gun on loan to a friend. Now I don't have an Invictus, mine's a regular sporter, but the Browning was so clunky and agricultural and the triggers were so bad I'd have been embarrassed to even lend it to someone, never mind try and sell it. I'll keep my CG with it's smooth operation, nice quality and the best triggers you'll find in any mid range gun.

As to the Invictus family they seem like a veiled attempt to move up a pricing segment and pad out the margins. Okay a couple of bits are easy to replace after a high mileage and the hinging system is novel, but most of the gun is the same as the standard range. Frankly, I find the M-Spec and it's precursor the SuperSporter to be just a big yawn. A friend, having shot my CG a few times and liking it bought an SS in 30" and it was so light he struggled to control the gun. He returned it with a week.

If I wanted a fixed choke CG with a trap stock I'd consider asking for an Ascent to be supplied with fixed choke low rib barrels. At least 8½lbs, nice handling and CGs legendary triggers.

Funny the way it goes. About a year ago I tried a 725 dealer demo gun on loan to a friend. Now I don't have an Invictus, mine's a regular sporter, but the Browning was so clunky and agricultural and the triggers were so bad I'd have been embarrassed to even lend it to someone, never mind try and sell it. I'll keep my CG with it's smooth operation, nice quality and the best triggers you'll find in any mid range gun.

As to the Invictus family they seem like a veiled attempt to move up a pricing segment and pad out the margins. Okay a couple of bits are easy to replace after a high mileage and the hinging system is novel, but most of the gun is the same as the standard range. Frankly, I find the M-Spec and it's precursor the SuperSporter to be just a big yawn. A friend, having shot my CG a few times and liking it bought an SS in 30" and it was so light he struggled to control the gun. He returned it with a week.

If I wanted a fixed choke CG with a trap stock I'd consider asking for an Ascent to be supplied with fixed choke low rib barrels. At least 8½lbs, nice handling and CGs legendary triggers.
Must be why browning sell so few 725s

Happy with my 725 Prosport, after changing from my Invictus Ascent. I would have stuck with Guerini but nobody was really interested in taking it in, in part exchange, not even Guerini dealers. 

I can't see as there is that much difference between the normal Invictus, and the 'M spec' Invictus except one is multi choke and one is fixed choke. Surely you should be able to decide how you want it choked, with which ever stock you want on it. Is that not the point of the 'M spec'.

Threads like this one always make me soooooo happy that I don't have to go thru all that want-a-new-gun BS anymore.  OK, there is one but it's just a whim.

Latest posts

Back