Hello from South Yorkshire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sludgie

Good evening all,

My name is Nick, I’m 46 and I’m in the Royal Navy (Chief Petty Officer Submariner). I started shooting clays whilst based down south a few years back, but stopped when I moved jobs. I’ve always been keen to get back into shooting as I would like to shoot both clays and game eventually. I’ve just applied for my shotgun certificate and have just bought a gun cabinet (a 3 gun cabinet) which will hopefully be arriving at the weekend. I have a thousand questions, and I am hoping the experienced forum members will forgive an obvious question or two! I’ve certainly learnt a lot just browsing around the various forums, and I hope to become a regular contributor as I start my shooting journey once again..I’m looking to start with some lessons at a shooting school near me, with the aim of purchasing a gun when issued my certificate. I’d be grateful for any advice you could give a newbie, and look forward to getting to know you all...Best wishes, Nick 

Hi ! You are on the right track taking lessons . A couple of hundred quid now will pay back tenfold over the next few years . The only other piece of advice I will give you is just enjoy yourself for a bit and don’t  dash out and buy a new gun.Buy a  good used one as you will more than likely be swopping as things start to click , so why take a kick in the pants on depreciation ! 

Thank you! I have just started by booking a few refresher lessons at Park Lodge shooting school in Goole. I have the date for my Officer visit and have taken delivery of my cabinet and have had it installed. I’ve rejoined BASC. Just hoping that the granting of my licence goes relatively smoothly, as I’m itching to get my own gun! Would it be worth having a specific lesson in stripping, cleaning and maintenance? I’ve field stripped and cleaned pistols and weapons in the Navy (Sa80, SLR and SMG) but I imagine this will be very different..? 

Thank you! I have just started by booking a few refresher lessons at Park Lodge shooting school in Goole. I have the date for my Officer visit and have taken delivery of my cabinet and have had it installed. I’ve rejoined BASC. Just hoping that the granting of my licence goes relatively smoothly, as I’m itching to get my own gun! Would it be worth having a specific lesson in stripping, cleaning and maintenance? I’ve field stripped and cleaned pistols and weapons in the Navy (Sa80, SLR and SMG) but I imagine this will be very different..? 
Yes far simpler 3 parts and if you really want to go for it and take the stock off 4 ;)

You will likely never need to take the action apart and it would usually be left to a gunsmith so your already probably over qualified.

just generally clean and lube with shotguns.

To be fair with a long Allen Key and a few screwdriver bits ( hollow ground only for slot heads please  ) you can take the gun down as far as you will ever need to , and more than most will ever do . Most over and unders come apart into 3 pieces without tools . The action and stock , the forend wood and iron , and the barrels . That’s all you need for day to day cleaning . The next step would be to split the stock from the action , the forend iron from the wood , and the ejectors from the barrels. I might do that once a year, but there are plenty of guns that never , ever get that treatment .  There are a few  more little things you can do if you are of a technical mind , like changing firing pins and springs on some guns , but to quote Dirty Harry “ A mans gotta know his limitations “ and discretion is the better part of valour . With your knowledge of small arms , your shotgun stripping lesson will take about 2 minutes ! 

Ps Park Lodge is a great place . Coniston is a little further and also excellent . If you ever get yourself in a pickle in the future and need some serious experience,  Mike Meggison at Kelbrook is well worth a call , and the shooting ground there is a very friendly place to practice .   

Good luck with your certificate . 

Latest posts

Back