Brace yourself...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Powell

Staff member
Following on nicely from the 'plastic wads' discussion, the Chancellor of the Exchequer is set to explore the possibility of financial levy on single use plastic products. Don't, for one moment, think clay shooting will be exempt.

At the beginning of the year I predicted a good quality shell would cost £300 per thousand within 18 months. Looks like I won't be far wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps we'll see a return to paper cases like we had in the old days. It's perfectly feasible to make shotgun cartridges without any plastic at all.

How do you define 'single use'. Plastic cartridge cases can be reloaded, admittedly the plastic wad is a different matter. So fibre wad could in theory could get away with this levy.

This could come down to definition:

What qualifies for single use: a material that physically cannot be recycled because of its make up (thin plastic wrappers for example) or a product that will more than likely only be used once?

If so how do you prove single use, what's to stop grounds hovering them up and recycling them, can wads be recycled if collected?

• I've known a couple persons of extreme thrift that collected plastic wads from the fall area , ran them thru a washer, and used them in reloads.  I never felt that the $0.01/bang was a financial burden but I did admire their use everything again approach.  Pity about having to toss the used primer tho, eh?

If, and one is not planning to be one, I was a plaswad manufacturer one sources re-cyclable raw product, this negates the single use problem? 

You know honestly if this initiative really had anything at all to do with the environment I MIGHT have some sympathy with the idea BUT like all these stealth taxes it is purely a way of raising revenue while waving a banner saying we are saving the planet and stabbing a finger out at those who already pay for what ever item they choose to buy... life as we know it will not be the same if we the UK government don't make a stand against pollution of the environment  .. in short it is a typical government crock of shoite wrapped in a false promise. In summary the British government is at its lowest ebb at the moment and this idea if it is implemented is just another indicator of how F'n desperate the are for revenue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the government will put a tax on single use plastic it will be extra income for them without much opositon. As for plastic wads they are recyclable are they not ! . Some grounds recycle the lead so why not the wads ! . While we are doing this all the less developed countries are throwing there crap into the sea, the very little affect this country  has on waste will be small, but the tax man will be rubbing his hands !

Perhaps we'll see a return to paper cases like we had in the old days. It's perfectly feasible to make shotgun cartridges without any plastic at all.
Paper cased, lower performance cartridges will also reduce the current obsession with shooting at out of range birds and smashing sensible birds to bits with ultra performance cartridges ... sounds like good news to me!

Paper cased, lower performance cartridges will also reduce the current obsession with shooting at out of range birds and smashing sensible birds to bits with ultra performance cartridges ... sounds like good news to me!
Are paper cased carts lower performance ??  I had always thought they were higher performance... the price is certainly higher... crazy prices for paper cased cartridges down here.

Some grounds recycle the lead so why not the wads ! .
As said in another thread when it comes to shooting trap targets everything except the bang and the smoke are easily reclaimable... it may add to the cost of shooting though because recycling is very often not as cheap as governments make out!

True, I will have to dig out my cartridge extractor........................just in case  !

In the 1970's, just after the Eley explosion, the amount of reloading being done was incredible. On some occasions it was not always possible to obtain 'Plaswads' so it was fibre wads or recycle the plastic wads. We used a large lawn rake to gather the wads together off the DTL range, then take them home and sort out the damaged ones. I have probably fired 1000's of recycled wads and do not remember having any problems. I think the reason may have been the compression formed Winchester AA cases, which were slightly tapered and made a good seal with the wad. I still have some of those 'home loads' identified by their 'Tippexed' crimp. They were 32 gram 4's for use on the marsh and the Tippex on the crimp showed up in the dark so you could recognise them.

eley%20gold_zps8grfnm5h.jpg
One of the best shells i ever shot was a paper case.............. eley gold !

Why would the use of a paper cased product change what appears to be intances of disregard to quarry / over ambition by a few shooters? 

Having only shot for 30 years in my time Ive not been unlucky enough to see abuse of birds by game shooters that a few on here have been witness too so Im probably a bit sheltered in that aspect.

You know honestly if this initiative really had anything at all to do with the environment I MIGHT have some sympathy with the idea BUT like all these stealth taxes it is purely a way of raising revenue while waving a banner saying we are saving the planet and stabbing a finger out at those who already pay for what ever item they choose to buy... life as we know it will not be the same if we the UK government don't make a stand against pollution of the environment  .. in short it is a typical government crock of shoite wrapped in a false promise. In summary the British government is at its lowest ebb at the moment and this idea if it is implemented is just another indicator of how F'n desperate the are for revenue!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hidden taxes are always a delight.  OTOH the government here is now dedicated to the total raping of the environment so long as there is a corporate profit from it.  OK, that's a lie.  You can rape the environment just for the fook of it too if you feel like it.  I mean, who GAF about a buncha animals, tweety birds and trees and sh*te?

I'd like to comment further but I'm already running low on the meds and should prolly not

couldn't agree more they do it time and time again petrol / diesel carrier bags cigarettes etc etc  some one has to make up the short fall for lost revenue on cigarettes as sales are falling. green tax is a prime example and carbon footprint, does the 5p tax on carrier bags actually go to the right cause? I doubt it and ollution from carrier bags is still a problem, and what about greenhouse taxes  and that massive hole in the ozone over the pole  is the hole still there is it getting bigger? who knows the earth will survive regardless of us

Let me ask you this, are you one of the people who wantonly throws rubbish onto the floor just because other people have?

Let me ask you this, are you one of the people who wantonly throws rubbish onto the floor just because other people have?
Absolutely NOT.  I'm a leader, on the cutting edge as it were, and I always look for a clean space to start!

No i am the sought of person that tells people to pick their crap up!

But plastic wads on a clay ground is hardly chucking your half finished maccy d out the window of the car!

I am at a loss as to why game shots with their love and respect for the countryside would use anything but fibre?

No i am the sought of person that tells people to pick their crap up!

But plastic wads on a clay ground is hardly chucking your half finished maccy d out the window of the car!

I am at a loss as to why game shots with their love and respect for the countryside would use anything but fibre?
Agreed, fibre for game.

But do clay grounds collect the plastic wads and send them for recycling? If so, where's the problem? 

Latest posts

Back