Wanted 20 bore

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwg

Hi im looking for a decent 20 bore to introduce my wife to clay shooting 

scottish borders area 

anything available 

thanks

I shot a 20 bore for 7 years before switching to a 12 bore. I used it for rough shooting and clays as it was the only shotgun I had.

I found the recoil on the 20 bore with 24g cartridges was uncomfortable if shooting a lot of clays and 21g cartridges not always available.

My 20 bore was very quick handling compared to most 12 bores and not very easy for a inexperianced shooter to handle.

I'm defiantly not an expert but from my own personal experience unless your wife is very tiny you could be making shooting less enjoyable and more difficult for your wife going for a 20 bore.

Has your wife tried a 20 bore and a 12 bore?

Agree. 20 bore is always what people assume a lady shooter needs. It isn’t. Get a 12g that fits and has a decent recoil pad. Use 21g shells initially 

Most new lady shooters I see struggle with the weight of the gun. And a lightweight O&U to much recoil. I always think a semi-auto is an ideal ladies first gun. Can always change to an O&U later. Most important part is don't let the wrong gun turn them off shooting

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm feeling a sense of deja vu here.  Why hamper someone with a 20 bore that'll kick like a mule and mean them shelling out half again for cartridges rather than going for a 12 bore.  Any beginner takes 10 times longer than an experienced shooter to mount the gun and get it comfortable before calling pull, so they are always going to struggle with the weight until they get used to it.

The question of women shooting 20 bore guns is raised again and again on here and pretty much all the female shooters on the forum respond saying they shoot 12 bores.

Bebo, couldn't have put it better myself.

JWG, just get her a 12 bore, get it fitted properly and a decent recoil pad put on it and use 21g cartridges.  If you get her a 20 bore, you will only end up buying a 12 bore in a years time, don't have the hassle of it all!

Im only small, 4'11" and don't weigh too much and my hubby was advised to get me a 20, only to change it to a 12 within the year.  As the others have said, you soon get used to the gun and the last thing your wife needs is to get used to one gun then change it later, the sight picture, weight etc will be different and she will have to start all over again.  If she really can't handle a 12 then go for a semi auto.  

I really don't know why shop owners try to get women into a 20 bore, maybe their wives don't shoot but there are plenty of women on this forum and I would say the majority of them all use a 12 bore.  The most essential thing is the fitting, get that right and all will be fine.

Good luck anyway.

Women do better with 20G initially because it's easier to wield an ill-fitting 20G that an ill-fitting 12G. 

Another lady shooter agreeing 12 not 20 particularly for clays.   

What Will said.

Shotguns always feel heavy to a beginner. After about 15 minutes virtually every normal adult and a good many young teens, male or female, forget the weight and manage a 12 without any issues.

Relevant to me as my 12 year old just went from .410 to 20 bore club guns.  He shot better but didn’t like the recoil.  He’s 5’4 and growing like a weed.  Rides and handles horses so strong arms and core.

I was wondering if a 28” 12 bore with a gracoil and skeet chokes is a good option for him, and using 21g cartridges (or even subsonics).  For the meantime I’m going to keep him on fairly close targets to build confidence 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a beretta ultralight deluxe

i shoot 21g / 24g through it with a geltek pad on, I've now swapped to a 20 bore because it fits me better

where abouts on the borders are you?

Latest posts

Back