Steel shot cartridges £100 per 1000

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

Countryway in Kent are selling steel cartridges at £100 per thousand.

If they can do it why can't others?

I hate steel shot but at those prices compared with other shops it makes me wonder if the cartridge manufacturers are really having us over a barrel with steel and lead cartridges.

Just need to find a clay ground that accepts them. None near Countrway of which I am aware.

If they can do it why can't others?

I hate steel shot but at those prices compared with other shops it makes me wonder if the cartridge manufacturers are really having us over a barrel with steel and lead cartridges.
They are but even if they were £10 per thousand, I still wouldn't shoot them. My barrels are worth far more than a £100 saving. 

Not that I could by the way, not a single ground near me allows the use of steel loads.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are but even if they were £10 per thousand, I still wouldn't shoot them. My barrels are worth far more than a £100 saving. 

Not that I could by the way, not a single ground near me allows the use of steel loads.
As long as the barrels are steel proof, that shouldn't be a problem  should it? 

Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think steel shot has been around long enough to assess any barrel damage caused by it's use, has it  ?

Having said that, I feel that the Cartelridge Manufacturers know that steel shot has a VERY limited market, and therefore is of no concern. 

As long as the barrels are steel proof, that shouldn't be a problem  should it? 

Lars
I’ll not get into another ‘merits of steel shot’ discussion, it’s been done many times before. Suffice to say, there’s credible evidence to indicate continued use of steel shot causes barrel damage. Some may say it’s nonsense, i’d rather not take the risk.

That's all fine. A lot of places where we shoot over here (Denmark) only steel is allowed. Some in the club push 10.000 rounds of no 6 and no 7 through their guns a year (3/4 and 1/1 chokes). And not any problems at all. That being said, most people would prefer lead shot due to the virtues of lead shots. 

Thank you for your replies.

Maybe you should digest my last paragraph?

I have always been an opponent of steel shot .

Common sense tells me that if we abrade a substance with a like substance , wear , damage , and deformation will occur.

If we insulate the steel shot with a thick plastic wad , we then pollute the environment with mans worst ever pollutant,  PLASTIC.

The point I am trying to make is that the cartridge industry , in my belief is ruining our sport by being greedy and holding us , a captive market , to ransom.

Clay load lead pellets also have plastic wads and even where you use felt wads the pellets are still going to be LEAD being spread all around the countryside. Denigrating steel pellet users in terms of pollution  :clover:  is a bit like fox shooters (rifle) disparaging fox hunters (horse) because one believes the other to be savage.  :rolleyes:

I have next to no steel experience other than the fact they are known to recoil more and the physical reality that steel has a lower specific gravity/density weight compared to lead. What you can't argue against is that millions of steel loads are being shot through steel proof tubes with no trouble. 

I do not think steel shot has been around long enough to assess any barrel damage caused by it's use, has it  ?
We had the ban in 1993, and no exceptions after 1996. Hunters inland had to go the expensive way (bismuth and other alternatives) aslandowners with tree production wouldn't allow steel in the woods (sawmills don't look to kindly on steel in the woods). Now 20 years on the landowners are slowly allowing steel, as it's not a problem. The wetland hunters have been using steel from the get go. All of them have to consider the target distance (shorter than lead) and pellet size. That's where the heavier lead comes in as huge advantage. 

In the beginning we saw some problems with older weapons bulging with the bigger pellets sizes. But now that people are used to it, it's not a problem any more. 

There is a difference in steel for clays and steel for hunting. And the smaller pellet size for clays is not a problem for the gun. But as mentioned above, I'd rather have the density of lead, as I believe it breaks the clays better/more often. 

Lars

im sure this is a stupid question but why do clay grounds ban steel ? i can see the reasoning for not using it to protect your gun and ive never actually seen someone use them but  dont get why a grounds would ban their use ?

im sure this is a stupid question but why do clay grounds ban steel ? i can see the reasoning for not using it to protect your gun and ive never actually seen someone use them but  dont get why a grounds would ban their use ?
There's been a lot of adverse talk about ricochets from steel over the years, some of it is prolly true but a great deal it seems is not. I've read about steel bouncing back off clays and logic says they'll bounce back off hard wood or stones but in practical real life it appears it's mostly a non story. 

comparing cost   lead v steel     do the powers that be  want us on steel  ?    can you shoot a cpsa competition using steel ?  

There's been a lot of adverse talk about ricochets from steel over the years, some of it is prolly true but a great deal it seems is not. I've read about steel bouncing back off clays and logic says they'll bounce back off hard wood or stones but in practical real life it appears it's mostly a non story. 
Yep, you can NOT believe a word that Logic fella says  !   :eek:  

Just need to find a clay ground that accepts them. None near Countrway of which I am aware.
All of them?

I'm not aware of any that don't like steel.

Are they?

Was in there the other day, didn't notice, just checked their website too.

Cheapest is SuperSteel 21g £143/k

Obviously a loss leader to get people interested and now discontinued , which personally I wish steel shot was.

They don't do loss leaders (don't need to), they do however buy in the 'cock ups'.

They had some steel a while back that the shot sizes weren't what was marked on the cases, sold them off cheap

Latest posts

Back