What to carry

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maca

First off I'm fairly new to clays having shot for the last 6 months.  I have a Browning Citori which I picked up from the Shooting Grounds shop for £450.  I had a bigger budget but after trying it out it just felt right and I was hitting clays which my friends couldn't hit with their £2000 725 sporters.  So it's fixed chokes so I don't need to worry about that but I was wondering what do people carry in their bag when going clay pigeon shooting?  I'm 100% clays, no game.  Currently I just take my vest, hat, ear defenders and so cartridges. 

Glasses, a snack and a drink in the summer. What else do you need?

You’ve got it all covered. 

If it’s a 100 bird shoot I always take 125 cartridges (more if there’s a pool shoot etc).

Water and a snack.

I take drink every time, even when it’s snowing. Apart from the obvious, my bag has one pocket with macwet gloves, penknife, pens, plasters, small towel, snack bar (in case catering not working), ear plugs and one or two relevant gun tools like Allen key for trigger. (I dont change chokes so they are at home). 

Also in my bag are several pairs of glasses, my certificate and my phone gets chucked in while shooting (on silent).

Last edited by a moderator:
gun, cartridges, glasses, ear protection, cigars & lighter. Possibly a bottle of water if hot. Job done your shooting not going on an overnight hike ??

gun, cartridges, hat, ear plugs, snack and water, several lenses, plumber's tape (old habits die hard), small sections of towel as I prefer it to wipe my glasses, ciggies and lighter, spare ear plugs.  Anything else is left in the car boot.

ps

I hate folk who take phone with them either clay, game or beating. Leave it in the car.

I have ear plugs, two sets of glasses, bottle of water (two in hot weather), emergency flapjack type bar thingy (not sure I want to eat it, it's been in there six months), waterproof, cartridges, certificate, tissues, sunblock, lip salve and hand sanitiser in my bag.  Occasionally a jumper gets shoved in top under the flap, but not this time of year as it's usually on.

ps

I hate folk who take phone with them either clay, game or beating. Leave it in the car.
I don't have an issue with that so long as it is on silent - it is quite nice to see the pictures of people out and about at different shoots.

I don't have an issue with that so long as it is on silent - it is quite nice to see the pictures of people out and about at different shoots.
good point Sian, ok we will allow camera use but absolutely no phone calls text or emails ?

I am renowned for being over prepared:

Gun, glasses, ear plugs, cartridges plus spares, baseball cap, gloves, chokes and spanner, Allen key for trigger blade, ibuprofen, Rennie, plasters, spare contact lenses, water proof fold up bag for coat if I get too warm, kitchen roll squares, gun towel for wet gun, water, photocopy of shotgun cert, pen and pencil,

All that fits in my small musto range bag.

Edit: I have also used everything on that list at somepoint, most of it everytime.

I am renowned for being over prepared:

Gun, glasses, ear plugs, cartridges plus spares, baseball cap, gloves, chokes and spanner, Allen key for trigger blade, ibuprofen, Rennie, plasters, spare contact lenses, water proof fold up bag for coat if I get too warm, kitchen roll squares, gun towel for wet gun, water, photocopy of shotgun cert, pen and pencil,

All that fits in my small musto range bag.

Edit: I have also used everything on that list at somepoint, most of it everytime.
Do you often leave home for long periods  :lol:  

Do you often leave home for long periods  :lol:  
I get home sick, best way to combat it is take most if home with you ..

Everyone laughs, but when ever someone needs anything they always know where to ask.

Most commonly used non essential item, Rennie! Bacon plays up havoc with my heartburn but it's so good.

fortunately we may have been banned from everywhere else but the outside world is still available for a nice smoke.

I wonder how the toxins in gunpowder compare with a Santa damiana ??

Two pair's of glasses and cartridges. My camera crew (documenting my world domination of clay shooting) which follows me around has everything else.

carts hat gloves licence club card ear protectors 2 0ff, water, bore snake and sugar tabs in case I run out of sugar as I am a diabetic 

Latest posts

Back