Help please regarding cartridges.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPB

Hi all, after a long abscence from shooting (clays) im back. However i was wondering what everyone thinks as to what the best cartridges are to use nowadays?  I would like a wide pattern spread as possible with low recoil. I have a 30 year old Lanber o/u so i shoot with a cutting edge shotgun. Any help would be appreciated? Thanks in advance.

Cartridges are very much down to personal preference. First of all, choose a shell that suits the discipline you shoot. Unless rules prevent it, stick with 28g loads and plastic wads. Something like a Hull Comp X or an Eley Select will do you for now. Both are soft to shoot and won’t break the bank. Keep it simple to begin with, you can look at a better quality shell in time once you’ve had the opportunity to decide what you want to shoot and what you feel patterns well.

Remember too that your shot density is determined by your choke choice. It’s true to say that some loads pattern a little tighter but not to any significant degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cartridges are very much down to personal preference. First of all, choose a shell that suits the discipline you shoot. Unless you have to, stick with 28g loads and plastic wads. I would suggest something a Hull Comp X or an Eley Select will do you for now. Both are soft to shoot and won’t break the bank. Keep it simple to begin with, you can look at a better quality shell in time once you’ve had the opportunity to decide what you want to shoot and what you feel patterns well.

Remember too that your shot density is determined by your choke choice. It’s true to say that some loads pattern a little tighter but not to any significant degree. 

couldn't agree more

Hull sporting 100's take some beating. Very soft, and kill well. Downside is the price, but if you do not shoot that much it wont make much difference. Failing that Express power blues (which is what i use most of) I couldn't give a monkey's about spread, as i like a tight-ish pattern.

First point of call would be to establish what your friendliest local gun shop has a good, regular supply of.  Changing cartridges or travelling miles to get them is a PiTA

Hi Jan Powell,  ive decided to take your advice and buy Hull comp x 21g 12g. Im going with 21g as im after low recoil as my gun is a beast with recoil! Just cartridges online sell Hull comp x 12g 21g for £182 per 1,000 with £15 delivery.

Does anyone know where i can get these cheaper from a reputable dealer of course?

Any help will be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back