Variable Eye Dominance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmokinn

I am right i dominant without question about 80% of the time but if i am left looking down the barrel for any length if time the left tries to take over.

Most of the time when actually shooting this is not a problem...but say i am shooting a long right to left crosser where i am focused on that target for a while and then i have a left to right quartering target over my left shoulder it seems to takeover or fight? with my right eye causing me to miss.

i tried using a spot for a couple if weeks and then forgot about it and didn't notice but recently it has become an issue again.

I try to shoot most targets unmounted to alleviate the problem but this is not always possible i don't mind shooting with the spot but i can't have it in between/walking around as it feels like my eye is straining to see round it and it is an uncomfortable feeling and quite tiring.

It seems to be worse when really it should not be as in plenty of sleep,eaten correctly,no alcohol for days and well hydrated.

Trying to blink but i tend to forget till to late.

Anybody else similar or have any cures?

I have very similar issues.  If in doubt I pre mount and focus as hard as I can but r/l followed by a long l/r causes me most grief.  Also I find it work well if you really really try not to think about it and try and shoot instinctively. I then get much better scores. 

I'm working through a similar issue just now and finding it incredibly frustrating.  I am slowly getting myself to the point where i pick up the target with both eyes open then dim/close my left eye entirely.  That initial picking up of the target with both eyes helps very much with perception of speed and distance and then after that it is much easier to dim/close one eye.

It is amazing how easy it is to forget to do this without conscious thought and of course as soon as you start to think you also start to miss.

If I start with my left eye closed I find it really hard to be able to judge speed and distance, although i'm sure if i persevered it would start to come naturally.

Barry Simpson was telling me he has a similar issue and that he raises his thumb knuckle.on the left hand side to stop his eye on that side looking down the barrel. I think that is what he said, he tells so many great stories I can't be certain, but what you said sounds very similar. 

More cast helps with this .Had the problem all my life,tried all the other ideas but cast is the only real cure .Problem is getting o/u with decent amount of cast .............

Hth.

It's worth bearing in mind that our eyes can only hold sharp focus for a short time, about 1 second at the most. We're not usually aware of this because our conscious vision happens in the brain and the brain is pretty good at convincing us that what we are seeing is exactly what the eyes are seeing, when it may not be the case. Look up optical illusions to get some idea of this.

Assuming you're right handed & right dom, what may be causing the non-dom eye to take over, is that on a R-L you're looking across the gun to see the clay but on a L-R you're not, much less of the gun is in the field of view and therefore with a completely different sight picture the poor old brain gets confused and seeks input from whichever eye has the better view and on a L-R it's going to be the left eye.

Many people drop the gun out of the shoulder when shooting opposing crossing or quartering birds thereby allowing the vision system to reset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back