Sporting first timer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothicsera

Was finally time to grab the bull by the horns and get out and try some proper sporting. All a bit new to me!

So I went along to the Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club shoot at Sporting Targets, Risely today.

Some crazy targets that everyone struggled with and a few that annoyed me as they should have been gimmes, but I missed. It was also extremely windy. However I had a lot of fun!

While 32/75 isn't going to set the world alight, I am happy with it for the first attempt. :)  I think it placed me 4th in the group today (about 50 in total).

I'm totally hooked now... There's no turning back!

IMG_20171022_124849_421.jpg

That's how you get drawn in. 1 good day and that's it. New addiction!. Bad habits next spend spend spend. 

Keep it up. 

Cheers Danny  

That's how you get drawn in. 1 good day and that's it. New addiction!. Bad habits next spend spend spend. 

Keep it up. 

Cheers Danny  
I've been doing a lot of skeet so was pretty much already hooked on that too. But I can see myself enjoying sporting a lot! :)

well done, I don't think that's a bad score at all for a first go ?

You did fabulously. A 75 bird course that was won on 49 and you got 32, that's impressive. I expect to see you take the rosette in 2018! 

It was a very decent course. Proper C class registered stuff. 

well done, I don't think that's a bad score at all for a first go ?
Thanks :)  I now have a starting point for my next attempt - not sure when that will be, but getting a baseline is good.

You did fabulously. A 75 bird course that was won on 49 and you got 32, that's impressive. I expect to see you take the rosette in 2018! 
Thanks Liz :)  a lot more practice and some good coaching will help me on the types of targets I'm struggling with. You shot extremely well today too!

Thanks. I was doing well by the end. It took me four stands to wake up! Nothing like shooting in the bracing cold to sharpen your reflexes. The first fast bird I completely blanked but the one on the bank at the end I was fine with. I did get my rising teal problem sorted out, which in itself was worth the trip out as I have blanked three of them recently. It's not like I haven't been coached on it before, several times, grr!  Stopping my gun only showed up once, but that lost me the competition. Still, I should know better by now. Losing teaches me more than winning :-D

You are right there! The ones I miss teach me a lot more than the ones I hit. Although I'm much happier when I hit them than miss them! For me there was a lot of overthinking, especially on some of those fast birds.

Uploaded a couple of short videos. One from the 110' high tower and the other a mini crosser followed by what became affectionately known as the 'dead duck'. A bit of a silly target to be honest, but it made us all laugh.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cu2Luvfc52RkbVlH2

Oh I  think it’s very important to have a look at all the shooting disciplines. Then, it’s bloody obvious Sporting is the only one! ? You do have to set your learning curve expectations to years rather than months though. 

I have to agree with Will , it is important to try all the disciplines, I used to shoot DTL and all trap disciplines until one day I walked into Ray Probert's gunshop in Rugeley.

Ray then told me Trap was an old man's sport , so as a twenty four year old I changed to Sporting, 48 years later I am still poor at Sporting and now useless at Trap .

Good job I have a future.

Nice to see the referee in your photograph at Sporting Targets wearing safety glasses .

He must have bloody good eyesight with eyes up there.

Back