Dyslexia link to eye spots confusing brain

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Having read this article I can relate to the issues described. I often see double or get my dominant eye blured etc. I am right eye dominant dyslexis right handed shooter !!  fast left to right crossers beyond 30m are my particular weak spot. Almost rely on just muscle memory to hit them as my focus wavers a lot.

I was wondering whether this is a real thing or not.

I'd be interested to hear what Ed Lyons says about this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41666320

Well I've just experimented on my wife. (Stop it! I know what you're thinking...) She's dyslexic and can't tell left from right and I can now confirm that she doesn't have a dominant eye. It's quite weird because whichever eye she keeps open seems to expect the closed eye to be dominant.

We should all be thankful that she's never wanted to take up clay shooting. :ph34r:

How does a person know they are dyslexic? ... Real question I was very bad at reading when I was young and was put back a year at primary school however I made a great leap when I went to secondary school... the rest is history I have been successful in my field but I often wonder. My youngest brother was diagnosed as dyslexic. As an aside one of the lecturers at the Uni used to say that there was no such thing they were just thick...  a really nice person too but maybe a bit too unaccepting?

edit

Jackie Stewart one of Britain's best ever Trap shooter and three times F1 world champion is dyslexic ... funny old world!

Last edited by a moderator:
I ahve a son who is dyslexic. I was not thought of a being dyslexic at school either, "do it again and try harder" was a typical response. I was only diagnosed when my son went in for tests.

There are many very bright people with dyslexia, I think I recall Einstein, Branson etc as examples.

How does a person know they are dyslexic? ... Real question I was very bad at reading when I was young and was put back a year at primary school however I made a great leap when I went to secondary school... the rest is history I have been successful in my field but I often wonder. My youngest brother was diagnosed as dyslexic. As an aside one of the lecturers at the Uni used to say that there was no such thing they were just thick...  a really nice person too but maybe a bit too unaccepting?

edit

Jackie Stewart one of Britain's best ever Trap shooter and three times F1 world champion is dyslexic ... funny old world!
Your lecturer is a *very rude word*. 

To answer your question, lots of people don't know they have dyslexia because they get very good at coping tactics. Also things like Irlen syndrome or synesthesia often run in parallel with dyslexia and can make the symptoms less consistent. I'm very interested in this area of educational psychology because some of the cleverest people I know and adore have been dyslexic, and it isn't the condition itself that limits them, it's the damage done by nasty teachers and other adults who say you are slow, you are lazy. I think it's a rotten shame that there aren't easier to administer evaluations for dyslexia. 

Your lecturer is a *very rude word*. 

To answer your question, lots of people don't know they have dyslexia because they get very good at coping tactics. Also things like Irlen syndrome or synesthesia often run in parallel with dyslexia and can make the symptoms less consistent. I'm very interested in this area of educational psychology because some of the cleverest people I know and adore have been dyslexic, and it isn't the condition itself that limits them, it's the damage done by nasty teachers and other adults who say you are slow, you are lazy. I think it's a rotten shame that there aren't easier to administer evaluations for dyslexia. 
Agreed Liz, there have been so many advancements in testing but it's getting it that is the difficulty.  Also many advancements in how children can learn and adapt with having dyslexia but again money spent on the right equipment will be limited by budgets.  Intellect is far different to academic achievement but academic achievement can be brought on with the right interventions and early help is by far the best route.  Many adults at the top of their game are dyslexic.

just wanted to add for those who think there is no hope - simply changing a font or the colour of the paper or the type can help enormously in some cases.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had to find work arounds and it can work wonders because you often think in different ways to most others, can bring good benefits in a work environment. My memory is excellent, especially for numbers, dates, events etc.

Just need to find a work around for left to right crossers......

Back