Mid price and quality (if there is such a thing)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midlife

Returning to shooting after a 10 year break. Not ready to invest in the Pilla, Rangers etc just yet, but equally do not want rubbish. Have noticed the Evolution matrix and also the Dirty Dog sets, both around the £40 - £50 mark. Any comments, recommendations would be great. Thanks in advance 

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s no magic. Have a look through them at some clays. If the colour you choose suits and the frame design doesn’t  intrude into your vision or your earphones, job done I would say. It’s only complicated when you need prescription really. The Pilla stuff is definitely nice, but the actual benefits are small versus the cost. If you’re serious then you will buy Pilla just to tell yourself there is nothing better, so your mind isn’t bothered when you shoot. 

just get good quality (optically) clear ones and worry yourself over more important matters.

There are some good eye tests on the internet, that will give you a rough idea which tint would help you. I am partially protan, which means l have trouble distinguishing red from green, it's very slight but vermillion glasses really help. l bought Wiley X just to try before splashing out on Zeiss or Pilla, still using the Wiley X glasses after a year, very comfortable and work well, no longer call for the bird only to be told "it's gone mate!" No more occasionally invisible targets! Hope this helps.

Don't know about Dirty Dog but I have the Evolution Matrix 4 lens set from 'sunglasses for sport' and find them excellent for the price. They're very clear, the tints are just right (for me) and as far as I can tell they're 'optically correct'.

I'm not deadly serious about registered shooting and therefore quite happy to accept a product that's 95% as good as the top brands at 10% of the cost.

Many thanks for the replies,

I am not a technical shooter, and to be honest would prefer not to wear any glasses at all. With H&S and many grounds insisting on them I do need a pair and therefore may as well get some that offer some alternative lenses. Ed Lyons.....I guess you were referring to the Wiley X Saber ?

Regards

Rob

There are some good eye tests on the internet, that will give you a rough idea which tint would help you. I am partially protan, which means l have trouble distinguishing red from green, it's very slight but vermillion glasses really help. l bought Wiley X just to try before splashing out on Zeiss or Pilla, still using the Wiley X glasses after a year, very comfortable and work well, no longer call for the bird only to be told "it's gone mate!" No more occasionally invisible targets! Hope this helps.
Ahh,that was you i was behind at the traffic lights.

Many thanks for the replies,

I am not a technical shooter, and to be honest would prefer not to wear any glasses at all. With H&S and many grounds insisting on them I do need a pair and therefore may as well get some that offer some alternative lenses. Ed Lyons.....I guess you were referring to the Wiley X Saber ?

Regards

Rob
It was the Talon I think that I saw 

Back