Hi from Manchester

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all.  I'm returning to clay shooting after a 30 year absence.  I used to shoot a lot of sporting when I was 13/14, but stopped after my father could no longer take me.  Now I have kids of my own and after having a go at the Cheshire Game Fair a few weeks ago, my boys and I decided we wanted to start shooting as a hobby we can do together.  My boys are 10 and 8 years old.

I'm going to have to get myself a certificate, gear, lessons etc.  This forum has already provided some useful stuff in that regard, so thanks for that.  I look forward to joining in the discussions here.  If there's anyone in the area with recommendations for clubs, lessons, gun shops, etc or is looking for shooting buddies, please give me a shout. I'm based in Sale, south west Greater Manchester (or Cheshire if you're an estate agent!).

Welcome and enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get your licence and enjoy .

8 years old MAY be a little small , BASC now state 9 years old to be instructed , join BASC and let the youngsters go on Young Shots days , you can also have a family day at Cloudside Congleton  for starters .

Get your licence and enjoy .

8 years old MAY be a little small , BASC now state 9 years old to be instructed , join BASC and let the youngsters go on Young Shots days , you can also have a family day at Cloudside Congleton  for starters .
Thanks.  We had a great session at Doveridge last Saturday and the 8 year old managed the little .410 OK.  He managed to hit 4 out of the 25 shots he had.  The boys insisted on starting a youtube channel to share their experiences so I'll put up a video in the relevant section.  The staff at Doveridge were great, the boys loved it but its a bit too far to go regularly.  I've looked at the Cloudside website but there's more info on their helipad for visitors to use than there is on lessons and juniors.  Got the feeling it was for the Cheshire set with their money, rather than for the average shooter.  Am I mistaken?

Hi and welcome.

I would also suggest 'Webber' off here, or look at his shop website, Norgas of St. Helens.  If the opinion is that the 8 years old is a bit small/young to actually shoot, get him some safety equipment off Ebay, take him along and let him push the buttons on the stands for you. My Grandkids were a similar age when they started, I had a single shot .410" which I allowed the younger one to use, having no more than 5 shots in any 1 session. The older one was using a 28 bore O/U Yildiz, with a cut down stock. Most if not all, of the 'Youth' stocks are still too long so I bought a standard stocked gun and had it cut down. Keeping the piece of wood, to be put back as they grew. My experience of teaching youngsters how to shoot is to keep it short, no more than 10 shots in any one session, returning after an hour or so, POSSIBLY, to repeat the exercise. (dependant on the youngsters strength and stature). 

Thanks Westley.  I think I have already talked to 'Webber' via email.  He's the guy from Rixton and Astley Gun Club which is very local to me.  Unfortunately the shooting and lessons are on a Sunday morning and that's rugby time for me and the boys.  I'm sure we'll head down there through the summer when the rugby season is over though.

You certainly are mistaken about Cloudside and their Helipad .

Advertising and websites are done to attract you , but do not necessarily convey the truth .

I have a helipad adjacent to my house , but it has only been used by the Police and Air ambulance  :D

two neighbours (well a field away) have helicopters and there a nuisance.

just saying

You certainly are mistaken about Cloudside and their Helipad .

Advertising and websites are done to attract you , but do not necessarily convey the truth .

I have a helipad adjacent to my house , but it has only been used by the Police and Air ambulance  :D
I understand that, but marketing is generally about portraying your brand image, i.e. how you want to be seen so you attract the kind of customers you want.  I'm glad to hear I'm mistaken, but if they want to attract the average new shooter then maybe more info on membership, lessons and juniors rather than corporate packages and a section on their helipad would do that.  I'll give them a call and see whats on offer.  Thanks

Latest posts

Back